It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:49

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Question about VCD on LD player
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 08:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Wasn't "CD-i video" really just VCD in a different package or was it a proprietary format?

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 13:17 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

It depends.

There is classic Video CD (White Book) and CD-i specific Video CD (Green Book).

"old" disc are CD-i.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 14:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

VCD has a constant low res digital grain to it but macroblock it does not. That’s one area where it sorta beats DVD. Night skies are filled with noise but not with huge bricks of the exact same color of pixels jumping all over the place.

Whoever signed off on DVD is a dipstick. If they had just waited a few more years the CPU power would have been there for a much better version. The one they did release just sucks. Because DVD players got so much better over time we forgot how crap the original offering was.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 16:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
VCD has a constant low res digital grain to it but macroblock it does not. That’s one area where it sorta beats DVD. Night skies are filled with noise but not with huge bricks of the exact same color of pixels jumping all over the place.

Whoever signed off on DVD is a dipstick. If they had just waited a few more years the CPU power would have been there for a much better version. The one they did release just sucks. Because DVD players got so much better over time we forgot how crap the original offering was.

I was going to say DVD really improved but you mentioned it sure enough. Early dvds are often embarrassing. Criterion had to reissue some movies ffs.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019, 00:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:

"low res digital grain"?? WTF? :lolno:

Have a look at this basic VCD playback video from youtube.

Go to about 4 minutes and tell me those aren't huge bricks of colour jumping all over the place??? Really, they're not?? Uh yeah sure. :roll:

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2020, 03:50 
Site Admin
Site Admin

signofzeta wrote:
VCD has a constant low res digital grain to it but macroblock it does not. That’s one area where it sorta beats DVD. Night skies are filled with noise but not with huge bricks of the exact same color of pixels jumping all over the place. Whoever signed off on DVD is a dipstick. If they had just waited a few more years the CPU power would have been there for a much better version. The one they did release just sucks. Because DVD players got so much better over time we forgot how crap the original offering was.

VCD is MPEG-1 video.
DVD is MPEG-2 video.

Both lossy for video and audio but with a high but MPEG-2 added interlacing (half frames) and up to 10Mbps on DVD (versus fixed 1,150Kbps on Video CD to use the constant bitrate of a CD player) along smarter ways to compress video.
MPEG-2 was required to be backward compatible with MPEG-1, making your DVD player able to play Video CDs.

For a long time I wondered why Video CD was so big in south east Asia compared to sparsely seen VHS.
Found out that VHS tapes in a hot/humid/moldy country don't live long (tape gets sticky, mold grows inside), while Video CD can be cleaned up with soapy water!

Julien

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2020, 03:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

admin wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Found out that VHS tapes in a hot/humid/moldy country don't live long (tape gets sticky, mold grows inside), while Video CD can be cleaned up with soapy water!

Julien

I honestly don't think this is the reason. The country you live in is the reason why. hot/humid and moldy country that adopted VHS wholesale. The real reason is countries in SE Asia are poor and the media and reproduction cost is much lower for a plastic disc than a magnetic tape in a large caddy. In Hong Kong, VCDs popularity could have had more to do with space. Floor space in Hong Kong Stores and homes is notoriously miniscule.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2020, 17:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Space too, CD/DVD takes up so little space and you can copy them fast. VHS takes a lot of space and I know when I used to shop in Chinatown NYC
they would have rooms FULL of CDs that they would copy of TV series so natives could enjoy shows from the homeland.

Its all about space and shipping.
Imagine shipping 50 VHS tapes to some poor country rather than a stack of 50 CDs.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2020, 22:20 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

vectrex3000 wrote:
Hi,

I'm still eagerly awaiting the arrival of my latest acquisition: A Pioneer DVL-909.

From what i understand, the DVL LD players are essentially just early DVD technology mounted into a LD player chassis; kind of like how the CLD players are basically an LD and a CD deck mashed into one package.

I have a couple of VCDs in my possession.. Video CDs, not CD Video.

From what i've read, early DVD players support MPEG1 compression, which is what VCD is. Has anybody tested to see if a DVL player could play VCD? or specifically a DVL-909?

Not gonna lie, when i made the purchase, it's the first thing that popped into my head. Curious..

Of the DVL combo players, only the DVL-700 doesn't seem to have VCD playback capabilties. Though oddly, enough it's Japanese counterpart, the DVL-9 does. See the attached with snips of the cover of the manuals that show what media they playback.

Of course, that doesn't absolutely mean that it won't playback VCDs. Some LD players in the US can decode LD+G out of the box even though the manual doesn't indicate it.

I know the DVL-919 does have VCD playback as I had one of those and happy that I could take the playback of my VCD collection off of the back of my Sega Saturn with the MPEG-1 card and give a little more life to the spindle in that thing.

There are also a few non-DVD combo, Karaoke LD players that support VCD playback like the CLD-V880,870 and 860.

Attachments:
DVL&VCD.GIF
DVL&VCD.GIF [ 63.93 KiB | Viewed 1768 times ]

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2020, 22:27 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Oddly enough the DVL-909 manual does have the VCD logo on the cover to indicate playback capability, but it uses the "other" logo for VCD...

Attachments:
DVL909.GIF
DVL909.GIF [ 13.65 KiB | Viewed 1768 times ]

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2020, 22:47 
Honest fan
Honest fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Oddly enough the DVL-909 manual does have the VCD logo on the cover to indicate playback capability, but it uses the "other" logo for VCD...

I don't have the manual, sadly. Just went by the sticker on the front of the unit; CD/LD/DVD/VCD.

Tho, the DVD laser isn't functional it seems and people say it's not worth fixing.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 00:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

vectrex3000 wrote:
elahrairrah wrote:

I don't have the manual, sadly. Just went by the sticker on the front of the unit; CD/LD/DVD/VCD.

Tho, the DVD laser isn't functional it seems and people say it's not worth fixing.

The DVD laser assembly can be swapped out fairly easily and they can be found for between $80 & $100 on ebay.

As for which VCD logo is used where, that seems to be regional. US vs Japan vs Hong Kong.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 01:07 
Honest fan
Honest fan

blam1 wrote:
vectrex3000 wrote:
elahrairrah wrote:

The DVD laser assembly can be swapped out fairly easily and they can be found for between $80 & $100 on ebay.

As for which VCD logo is used where, that seems to be regional. US vs Japan vs Hong Kong.

Yeah, that price range isn't worth it. I have more important things to purchase.
My particular player didn't use a logo on the front; Just VCD in a plain italic font.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 14:54 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

vectrex3000 wrote:

If you want the manual you can download a PDF of it in manuals section of this site . . .

[GLOBAL] Hardware PDF Manuals

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2