It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:12

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: DVL vs Laser disk player
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 10:07 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi guys!

I am new for laser disk. I want to buy a laser disk player. Is it the best idea to have DVL player or only laser disk player?

I want to have old laser disks also new ones.

I can find the players below around my place. Which can be the best option for me? Any ideas simply?

Pioneer DVL-700
Pioneer DVL-909
Pioneer cld 2950 ..

Post subject: Re: DVL vs Laser disk player
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 10:31 
True fan
True fan

It's really a choice between the 700 and the 909 if I had to choose, having the DVD/LD combo players is really nice since most of my HD stuff is digital anyways.

I haven't had the pleasure of using either of those players, but just going off of reviews from the time and comparing specs, the 909 seems like the better option as it can play any region with ease.

I'd love to know how much you can get these for, because all three of these players are pretty decent, and I'd be interested in whatever DVD/LD combo player you don't plan on picking up.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 10:47 
Third post and above
Third post and above

pokefraker wrote:
It's really a choice between the 700 and the 909 if I had to choose, having the DVD/LD combo players is really nice since most of my HD stuff is digital anyways.

I haven't had the pleasure of using either of those players, but just going off of reviews from the time and comparing specs, the 909 seems like the better option as it can play any region with ease.

I'd love to know how much you can get these for, because all three of these players are pretty decent, and I'd be interested in whatever DVD/LD combo player you don't plan on picking up.

The cheapests are around $100. Offcourse there are collectioners which asks around $400-500 too. But still possible to find few players around $100.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 14:42 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

all wrote:
I can find the players below around my place. Which can be the best option for me? Any ideas simply?

Your best option is a working player in your price range.

Of the 3 you have listed I would get one of the DVL units as they are nice, I've had the 909 and its a nice player for what it is.
Good luck.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 16:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah, just do what I do, buy whatever player you can afford so you can start collecting stuff to actually watch on it while still keeping your eyes peeled for another, better player.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 17:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Having the DVL-909 of those players listed would be the best choice in my opinion, because of the easily obtained spare parts/donor players. The older the player, the harder to get parts.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 20:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I personally would avoid the DVL’s because it doesn’t make sense to me to have what constitutes an “average” LaserDisc and DVD player in one.

Better option would be to get an older LD player like a CLD-D70? or CLD-30?0 series of players that have the digital field memory circuit (just to mimic trick play on CLV discs that the DVL units can perform). You’ll usually get a better picture in most cases too (depending if you prefer the more analog look especially on the players before the CLD-D703).

Of course, the caveat is that many of these players may not by in the best shape but that can be said of the DVL’s as well since they have their share of problems being so overly complicated in design. Fortunately, there are some great machines that can pop up every now and then if you look in odd places. I recently picked up a barely used Mitsubishi, M-V7057 (Pioneer, CLD-D704 clone) for just $40 that just needed a new belt and cleaning of the grip ring.

Last edited by ldfan on 21 Aug 2019, 19:56, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 00:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

ldfan wrote:
I personally would avoid the DVL’s because it doesn’t make sense to me to have what constitutes an “average” LaserDisc and DVD player in one.

I know others will disagree but I highly doubt that Pioneer bothered to put a crap LD player into this new DVD format
to make a combi player.

They would have tried to keep prices down but put as good of a player as possible as they didn't think they
were going to end LDs for some time after and the first run of DVDs were really not very good.

I remember getting one of those laser newsletters back in the day with reviews of Priscilla Queen Of The Desert.
The LD was given a better review than the DVD as they were both released at the same time.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 04:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah, to my understanding the DVL players aren't any worse than regular players. DVL-919 has a pretty decent comb filter too to my knowledge.

But again, any player that works is a good one.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 17:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
But again, any player that works is a good one.

After having now used 4 players of varying quality this is where I'm at with it as well.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 19:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:

I know others will disagree but I highly doubt that Pioneer bothered to put a crap LD player into this new DVD format
to make a combi player.

Just to clarify; I said “average”. :)

My understanding when hearing about this from other forum members is that most of the DVL’s (not sure of the Elite models) used the basic hardware from a CLD-D606 which were decent models. However, I’d still take a CLD-D704 any day over a 606 for picture quality.

Also, the DVD portion of most DVL units were full of chroma bug issues from what I recall so that really made it a no brainer to opt for a higher quality standalone DVD player.

In any case, when the DVD format did arrive in the late 90’s, I did end up with a Sony, DVP-7700S and I have never regretted it. It sat below my Pioneer, CLD-3030 for many years and they were a great tandem to give me the best of both formats for that time.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2019, 00:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

DVL LD playback is pretty good actually, yeah. The DVD players are garbage.

I honestly prefer LD only units. The remotes are way better and all the buttons have a use. The whole experience is totally LD that way.

But I also agree with the other guys. If you’re going to be a real LD man you’re pretty much going to be shopping for LD players for a long as you live. You need working ones more than anything else and availability is bad on every player and they break in shipping about %30 of the time so...even if you do get exactly the player you want right off the bat it’s still then going to be your only player which is no good. You need a backup or two, decks for different rooms, parts players, and spare room for the broken decks you hope to get fixed one day.

That’s LD life. If it scares you go away and leave the what’s left to the OGs!

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2019, 00:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Considering the unfortunate position I'm in, the best kind of player for me would probably be the one that's the easiest to maintain, so the less parts it has that can fail the better.

Unfortunately nearly all the players that come up for sale around here are karaoke models, not industrial ones.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2019, 17:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

all wrote:
Hi guys!

I am new for laser disk. I want to buy a laser disk player. Is it the best idea to have DVL player or only laser disk player?

I want to have old laser disks also new ones.

Pioneer DVL-700
Pioneer DVL-909
Pioneer cld 2950 ..

I have a 700 and a 909. They are OK units. The question is if you want PAL laserdisc playback. If the DVL-909 is an EU unit, it will playback NTSC and PAL LaserDisc. The CLD-2950 is an NTSC/PAL LD unit also. The 2950 is equivalent to the CLD-D503 in the US, except for the PAL playback.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 10:02 
Third post and above
Third post and above

i just got a dvl-919. it` EU player gold/silver color which ever color it is it`s a great player it has the switch on the back to where it can play pal/ntsc. i had the all black model years ago and sold it. i had an itch that i had to scratch again so i caved and bought it. i still got the dvl-90 which i think i got a buyer for it. i just got my first couple ld on there way. there the japanese ld of the star wars making of/ the empire strikes back sp/fx and the classic creatures of rotj cant wait to watch them. i`m surprised those never made it to dvd i think they came on vhs but not on dvd.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]