It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:21

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: CDV-Single players
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2012, 04:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It's my understanding that, back when the 5" CDV-Single came out, there were some standard CD players (ie, playing only the 8 cm & 12 cm discs, not LD-sized ones) which had video playback capability. Thanks to an alt.video.laserdisc post, I now know that one model was the Yamaha CDV-S100. Can anyone come up with any others? I have reason to believe Philips marketed one (their engineers published a paper on the chipset they developed), but I don't actually know anything about it ; the Yamaha might even have been cloned from it. My father thinks he saw one in a department store circa 1989-90 which had a little Watchman-style video monitor built in, so you could see the video without hooking the player up to a TV.

I'm kind of curious. It seems like a useful thing for those of us with players which don't handle the small discs, such as the LD-V8000 or a Hi-Vision model.

Post subject: Re: CDV-Single players
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2012, 09:19 
True fan
True fan

Sony CDP-301V is a CD player can also be played back CDV.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2012, 10:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It appears there is also the Pioneer PD-707V.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012, 12:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Philips had one model: CDV185

Attachments:
cdv185_2.jpg
cdv185_2.jpg [ 167.54 KiB | Viewed 8830 times ]

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 09:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I've identified another model, & it's a real head-scratcher.
For a while the flagship of Sharp's boombox line was the QT-93 ; the standard model has a dual cassette deck, & dismountable speakers. It appears that there is a variant, the QT-93CV, which contains a compact-disc player -- and that, for whatever reason, it was fitted out to play CD-Vs instead. I'm assuming that involved a video output jack, rather than a little onboard CRT display, but I'm not totally sure. I kind of want one, though!

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 21:15 
Serious fan
Serious fan

publius wrote:
... I kind of want one, though!

Me too 8-)
On the net i can only see remotes, so i guess it must be even more niche than the 4 other players together. Oh wait, here is a little picture of it i guess:

By the way did you already receive your Pioneer PD 707?

Last edited by svwees on 09 Apr 2019, 22:10, edited 5 times in total. _________________
My Laserdiscs
Philips CDV 185, Pioneer D925/D515/PD 707V, Sony CDP 301V, Yamaha CDV S100/CDV M777

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2015, 00:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

svwees wrote:
By the way did you already receive your Pioneer PD 707?

Not yet. The intermediary I use for Yahoo Japan auctions does bundled shipping, so I'm waiting on the results of a couple of other auctions before I request to have it sent to me SAL.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015, 18:13 
Serious fan
Serious fan

This is i guess a rare sight, two different cdv players up at the auctions:

Attachment:
67t76ytu.jpg
67t76ytu.jpg [ 55.05 KiB | Viewed 8640 times ]

I am however very disappointed the Yamaha auction got pulled. 1st time i watched it and tried to register and when registered it was gone and it was 3 days before the actual auction end.
2nd time, i was in and bid on it, even a sniper bid with a higher price, but again it was also pulled and bids retracted one day before the actual end. Maybe he don't want to sell to proxies.

The Pioneer i won luckily. But i now scare the hell out of the prices i will have to pay for sending it to Europe along with a few vsd's seperately. I used the Buyee proxy as that is somehow attached to Yahoo Japan. When i watched a broken Pioneer PD 707 (maybe handy for parts) at an auction outside of Buyee i noticed the seller won't take banctransfers.

I came to learn that sellers can sell items parallel in physical shops and pull an auction when sold in the shop. They can pull and retract bids anyhow without a hitch. It is just different than ebay.
The condition of the item id however clearly stated, scratches highlighted and described.
"Junk" however can mean anything from real junk to stacked in dust and moist for a long time, to just not inspected and thus not knowing the working condition.

The Pioneer i won was said to play at least a cd and show onscreen picture on tv (They didn't have a cdv at hand). We"ll see 8-)

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015, 21:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

One thing I'm sure of is that Yahoo Japan sellers are strange.
You've already seen how elastic the definition of "junk" can be, & how almost none will ship overseas. Some sellers will leave an item up for sale for years without ever changing the price. Others will list something for sale without, apparently, any attempt to check the prices of comparable items, so that you may see (for instance) a set of equipment in nice condition listed for Y1000, & from another seller, just the remote control listed for Y5000.
But, in any case, I'm looking forward to the arrival of my PD-707V. I bought a CDV-S100 service manual on eBay, & will be scanning that to send to Julien for the benefit of anyone who needs it. It will be interesting to see if there is any internal similarity among the models.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015, 23:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Like the Yamaha and Pioneer might have similarities, I think the Sony and the Philips one also have.
The Philips has coax digital out. The Sony also has that, (update, no the Sony doesn't have that :( ).
They both have 4 times oversampling of audio.
Though somehow the Philips unit looks to be the 'thickest' unit plus having extra heat dissipation grill on the back.

ImageImage

If it would be the best unit, pq wise and transport wise i wouldn't know, plus it is pal while the others are ntsc making the comparision even harder.
Nice thing though is that there are old reviews with pictures of inside the players, so when you have got also the service manuals, you can get an idea.

Last edited by svwees on 17 Jun 2017, 23:36, edited 6 times in total. _________________
My Laserdiscs
Philips CDV 185, Pioneer D925/D515/PD 707V, Sony CDP 301V, Yamaha CDV S100/CDV M777

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 05:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

So far as I can tell from photos, the Sony, Pioneer, & Yamaha models all have VHF audio-video output, & only the Sony has a PCM output.
One of the questions which interests me is whether I can add one to one of the other models -- the fellow who sold me my LD-V8000 identified which chip had to be replaced, & which circuit-board traces connected, to do this, & even supplied me with the necessary chip, so someday I plan to do that.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 22:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The CDV-S100 manual has arrived, & it is very thorough.
It appears likely that the (otherwise pretty useless) mono audio output jack could be converted into a SPDIF output by tapping off the digital audio control chip IC604, probably at pin 51 (labeled DATA on the diagram), although I can't find a datasheet for the YM3618. And that would be a very good modification, because some nut at Yamaha decided to use a single DAC (Burr-Brown PCM56) to output both channels alternately. I thought that particular bit of cheapness had disappeared by 1990! And I can't imagine why someone would use it on a premium product in the first place.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2015, 02:23 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I guess these players were from 1988, not 90's, but i always thought these big stuffed with the seperate electronic components were more sturdy than the all plastic microchip only ones that arrived late 80's begin 90's.

The Pioneer i won is for 21€ without manuals or remote unfortunately, perhaps yours comes with a manual. I hope the Pioneer is at least like the midclass ld players. But i begin to believe the Sony and Philips ones were the better ones.

I am still scratching my head over the Sharp Boombox one. Given the plastic and cheap nature of many boomboxes and the movement involved taking the thing everywhere, i wonder how a 2700 rpm disc would fare. And if it is not prone to breaking fast.

Just out of curiosity, the Philips one i bought for 100€ was one out of two available. I doubted should i take them both because they're nos. i took only one and the other was put up on ebay later on and the price was rising, but was first like 150€. And there was another seller with a steeper price.
The point is: It would have been fun if some of you american folks would have bought one and would have to buy a step up transformer and to compare it with that pioneer for example. A not rotten pal cdv vs the us version of it on the pioneer. Most of you have more insight and or equipment to calibrate and measure for example.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 18:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Today i received the Pioneer PD 707V in the mail i won for +/- 25 bucks at Japanese Auctions.
It was said to at least play a cd and show the onscreen on a tv.

I received it in the state it was described, with a few scuffs etc, but one peculiar thing; the feet/dampers are missing. That i find pretty strange. You can see at the patin that has built up over time the circles where the feet have been... strange. Maybe that's what he meant with 'wobble jewels'? (Translated from Japanese)

I was about to buy a transformer, but i have to watch out as many sellers misname 230 V to 110 Volt also 100 Volt many times when it isn't, so i don't have power for it yet. I want to be absolutely sure. Is this Airlink one ok enough, or would you recommend a different one? (Update, i bought the translink, but with 250VA. It is still expensive, but these are industrial ones, so should be good i hope. I also bought gold color feet/dampers for a few bucks).

Here a Ntsc (left) and Pal (right) video:
ImageImage

=> Quick video of the Pioneer PD 707V

Last edited by svwees on 17 Jun 2017, 23:42, edited 5 times in total. _________________
My Laserdiscs

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 20:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

svwees wrote:
I was about to buy a transformer, but i have to watch out as many sellers misname 230 V to 110 Volt also 100 Volt many times when it isn't, so i don't have power for it yet. I want to be absolutely sure. Is this Airlink one ok enough, or would you recommend a different one?

750 VA should be more than adequate. The PD-707V doesn't use anything like that kind of power, but it's always good practice to oversize the transformer to avoid problems. Although all Japanese electronics I know of are perfectly happy on US house current, I bought a 1500 VA 100-120 multitap transformer "just in case" (because I found a good deal on one).

I've encountered missing feet before. My advice is just to get four hockey-puck-like objects (you can probably use ones meant to go under furniture legs), or even four pieces of wood, to space it up off the component underneath.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2015, 02:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

OK, now here's something strange, vaguely related.
There were some early LD players which didn't have digital audio circuitry, but did have a connector from which the raw signal could be tapped, to be interpreted by an outboard device. I believe I've seen a couple of those on Yahoo Japan Auctions — pretty useless these days. But apparently somebody at Pioneer thought of using the circuitry in a CD player to do the job!

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2015, 03:05 
Serious fan
Serious fan

publius wrote:
OK, now here's something strange, vaguely related.
There were some early LD players which didn't have digital audio circuitry, but did have a connector from which the raw signal could be tapped, to be interpreted by an outboard device. I believe I've seen a couple of those on Yahoo Japan Auctions — pretty useless these days. But apparently somebody at Pioneer thought of using the circuitry in a CD player to do the job!

Ok , you loop raw digital output from an ld player through this cd player to have it converted to analog?

Or, 2, you put in a cdv to spin at a few thousand rpm to just listen to the audio of a vsd or cdv?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2015, 03:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

That first one.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2015, 17:49 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Today i won the Yamaha CDV-S100.

Though, fingers crossed, it is from the same seller that pulled the auction twice before.
However, now i am in the 'succesfull bid' zone where Buyee Yahoo will arrange with the seller to ship the item to them.
If it has arrived at Tenso, then i am already happy. If it arrives a mere month later at my house in working condition than i'd be more than happy. Because then i would have 3 cdv players. (2 more to go)
In the long haul i could do the adjustment Publius proposed, making the mono output a digital coax out instead, like only the Philips has.

The Pioneer i don't have a remote from yet; the one from my CLD players isn't working, also no manual.
The Philips was NOS and complete so with remote and manual i thought. If i find it i will upload it here.
The Yamaha will be with remote but no documentation, but Publius already uploaded it, or i could also buy one from ebay and put it here.
The Sony i can't find anything from right now, not on Yahoo, nor eBay. (update found and won remote and player)
The Sharp Boombox i bought the remote, just because it is supposedly so rare and if i would one day find the Boombox it could be without remote so i'd already have one.

I am in the twilight if i would do EMS shipping again (very expensive) or SAL (a little less expensive but longer on its way and don't know about if they handle the packages as careful as EMS).

Last edited by svwees on 22 Apr 2016, 01:07, edited 2 times in total. _________________
My Laserdiscs

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 18:28 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Today i received the Yamaha CDV S100 together with the remote.
Again it was double boxed luckily by Buyee as the box it was originally in was tightly packed and that box looked damaged a bit.
It looks to me that the image quality of this player is even a bit better, less noisy than the Pioneer PD 707V, but the colours of the Pioneer i find a bit better as well as its clamp to make that one sound dead silent.
However the Yamaha makes strange ticking noises during start, when starting to spin, starting to spin harder for cdv and when stopping.

ImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Sorry for the bad sound of my phone on the video, but i found the overall sound of the Yamaha acceptable.
Maybe one day Publius could chime in on how to implement a coax digital out.
I want to be absolutely sure as how to do that step by step as i don't want to bust this Yamaha.

=> Here is a video. The sound of my phone is not too best but i think you could hear it.

Last edited by svwees on 17 Jun 2017, 23:48, edited 1 time in total. _________________
My Laserdiscs

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next