It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:12

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: How good is the Pioneer CLD-R7G?
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2020, 10:53 
True fan
True fan

Thanks audioboyz. I will look into getting one to play with, in my quest for ever better Laserdisc image reproduction.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2020, 15:44 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Does this player have Picture Stop Cancel (PSC) for CAV discs, which overrides stop codes on them? This is activated by holding down the Play button until "PSC ON" appears onscreen. It's needed for playing the DiscoVision release of "Frenzy" which has one side mistakenly encoded with stop codes on every frame!

Also is there a power cord for this which can be used in the US without a voltage transformer?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2020, 15:49 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

8traxrule wrote:
Does this player have Picture Stop Cancel (PSC) for CAV discs, which overrides stop codes on them? This is activated by holding down the Play button until "PSC ON" appears onscreen. It's needed for playing the DiscoVision release of "Frenzy" which has one side mistakenly encoded with stop codes on every frame!

Also is there a power cord for this which can be used in the US without a voltage transformer?

No, and to my knowledge the only player that had this were the early gas players, others can add.

In this day and age one would be wanting to own Frenzy just as a curious piece and watch the DVD or Bluray if they are out.

You would just use the regular cord as the PSU inside is rated for USA.

Do you really plan on buying an R7G 8trax???

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2020, 16:00 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Many of the later Pioneer players have picture stop cancel- including the 704, 604 and 925. Just hold down the Play button to activate it, and again to de-activate. The DVL players did not have it though, and the exterior of the R7G looks similar to those players so I suspect it doesn't. I don't have a player that can decode graphics so I would mainly want one of these for that, as well as any improved performance though I am a bit nit-picky. I had a CLD-97 (which does not have PSC) but sold it as it had too many problems, one of which was it only displayed half of the very last line at the bottom of the screen (this wouldn't have shown up on CRT monitors of the time, but on my HDTV I have everything displaying with zero overscan.) I didn't like how it defaulted to having DNR on each time it was powered up either. I did like how it handled rotted discs with minimal noise compared to most players, wondering how the R7G compares in that area.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2020, 16:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I have an R7G on the way to me as I write this post. It's coming by surface mail from Japan so I won't have it for a couple of months (assuming all goes well and it arrives in one piece and isn't subject to any delays due to the pandemic).

If you can wait until then I'll be posting about 6827 pictures of it and comparing it my CLD-D925. I can't wax technical guff about it too much but I'll try and help as best I can. There's loads of far more experienced folks who visit this forum who would be better placed to help with the serious egghead stuff. Good luck! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2020, 17:31 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

8traxrule wrote:
Many of the later Pioneer players have picture stop cancel- including the 704, 604 and 925. Just hold down the Play button to activate it, and again to de-activate. The DVL players did not have it though, and the exterior of the R7G looks similar to those players so I suspect it doesn't. I don't have a player that can decode graphics so I would mainly want one of these for that, as well as any improved performance though I am a bit nit-picky. I had a CLD-97 (which does not have PSC) but sold it as it had too many problems, one of which was it only displayed half of the very last line at the bottom of the screen (this wouldn't have shown up on CRT monitors of the time, but on my HDTV I have everything displaying with zero overscan.) I didn't like how it defaulted to having DNR on each time it was powered up either. I did like how it handled rotted discs with minimal noise compared to most players, wondering how the R7G compares in that area.

I don’t think that a player perfect enough for your needs was ever built. You can stop looking.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020, 19:13 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Well, some of them come close :) I'm mostly happy with my CLD-D604, but it lacks graphics capability. I think I only have one Japanese LD with graphics though, I bought most of the CDs with graphics that were available when I got the Sega Genesis CD add-on and would like an easier way of playing those.

Main reason I got rid of the CLD-97 is it developed new problems that weren't inherent in its design- the drawer kept sticking and it would occasionally not "see" the digital audio tracks on discs sometimes and think they were analog-only. With the other built-in issues it wasn't worth trying to fix. Funny that had more mechanical issues than the lower-end players which have been much easier to service when needed.

Anyways, staying on subject I'll watch for other thoughts about the R7G. If it doesn't have PSC, I can just use my CLD-D925 for discs that need that- I use that player just for PAL discs since PAL players are rare in the US, but it can probably stand to play a few NTSC discs every once in a while.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2021, 22:31 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Update- got one a few months ago. It DOES have picture stop cancel just as most other players of its era do- just hold down the Play button on the machine. (I REALLY wish people would stop giving Yes or No answers to these kinds of questions when they obviously don’t really know.) The Service Remote is also fully functional with it so you can play GM discs. And I’m really happy that it can display CD+Graphics as well as LD+G (Japanese discs seemed to use that to show English subtitles but not much else. Phantom Menace is the only LD I have with graphics.)

Default picture settings are awful and made me think it was broken at first. 3D YC should be turned off, colors bleed and there is some nasty noise with it on my screen. I found turning Chroma NR to Max works well though to stop reds from bleeding. It will keep picture settings in memory but lose them if it’s unplugged. I’m using a US player’s power cord with no issues.

Doesn’t handle noisy discs as well as the 97 did, but it does not have the issue with the last line being half black. (I saw from some YouTube videos that the HLD players also have that issue, so I won’t be getting one of those unless I end up with some hi-vision discs.) Overall it doesn’t work miracles but it should be the last player I need.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2021, 01:35 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

8traxrule wrote:
Update- got one a few months ago. It DOES have picture stop cancel just as most other players of its era do- just hold down the Play button on the machine. (I REALLY wish people would stop giving Yes or No answers to these kinds of questions when they obviously don’t really know.) The Service Remote is also fully functional with it so you can play GM discs. And I’m really happy that it can display CD+Graphics as well as LD+G (Japanese discs seemed to use that to show English subtitles but not much else. Phantom Menace is the only LD I have with graphics.)

Default picture settings are awful and made me think it was broken at first. 3D YC should be turned off, colors bleed and there is some nasty noise with it on my screen. I found turning Chroma NR to Max works well though to stop reds from bleeding. It will keep picture settings in memory but lose them if it’s unplugged. I’m using a US player’s power cord with no issues.

Doesn’t handle noisy discs as well as the 97 did, but it does not have the issue with the last line being half black. (I saw from some YouTube videos that the HLD players also have that issue, so I won’t be getting one of those unless I end up with some hi-vision discs.) Overall it doesn’t work miracles but it should be the last player I need.

Wow I want to read the comments on this one.
Noisy picture :lol:

NO

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2021, 01:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Your results may vary based on your monitor of course. And I found that although my equipment has no S-Video inputs, there’s a noticeable improvement using an S-Video to Composite adaptor.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2021, 08:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

8traxrule wrote:
Your results may vary based on your monitor of course. And I found that although my equipment has no S-Video inputs, there’s a noticeable improvement using an S-Video to Composite adaptor.

From personal experience as an ex R7G owner, S-Video is the only way to go, it should look superb on well mastered discs when correctly set up. One of the best features of the 7G is its comb filter and 3D YC should definitely be on and set somewhere around the mid position; I always left all the NR settings at min but personal taste comes into account here as it can be a tad noisy on some material at times, heck this player - and I think the H9? (others will confirm) have arguably close to the best 3D separators available and certainly THE best to be found on any LD player - avoid using composite on this machine at all costs if possible as it looks terrible!
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2021, 12:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I unplug my R7G every night and tuck it in to it's own bed. Read it a few pages from the instruction manual before wrapping the power cord around the remote control nice and snug.

I've named him Alan and he's great. :D

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2021, 08:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

teddanson wrote:
I unplug my R7G every night and tuck it in to it's own bed. Read it a few pages from the instruction manual before wrapping the power cord around the remote control nice and snug.

Wonderful parents like you are so far and few between Ted - one day little Alan will grow up to become a wonderful X0 :D
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2021, 13:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
teddanson wrote:

Wonderful parents like you are so far and few between Ted - one day little Alan will grow up to become a wonderful X0 :D

Not a hope. The minute Alan turns 18 he's out of the family!

Oh wait, that was about 8 or 9 years ago! :crazy:

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2