It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 23:48

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pioneer DVL-909 Audio problems
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2020, 08:26 
Hello all.
My LD audio seems to have failed (again)
Last time it was the DAC so the man said.
Picture is fine, both NTSC and PAL.
Up to last week the audio was fantastic, then the other day it now sounds like someone clearing his nose or about to spit!
Has anyone else experienced this? Would it be a recurrence of the previous issue?
I can send it to "my man" who is 150kms away, but is there any test I can do first?
I have both the Owners Manual and Service Manual.
Thanks in advance
Ian. NSW Australia.

(Re-posted here, as I accidentally put in the wrong forum page)

Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-909 Audio problems
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2020, 03:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If the laser is aging the digital audio starts to have dropouts and can be lost before you start to see it in the video. If you switch from digital to analog audio for laserdisc does the analog sound OK? If it does then the real problem is you need to replace the laser. VWT1110 is the CLD version of the laser. If it comes with the gray MHolder you need to swap the black MHolder from the DVL unit LD laser onto the VWT1110 and then the other plastic pieces need to be taken off the DVL laser and put onto the VWT1110.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2020, 04:01 
Ah. Thank you very much for that!
I just remembered, that I swapped to analogue sound last time this happened!
I'll try that, and your other advice on parts swapping.
Unfortunately I had a friend take the machine 150 kms to Sydney yesterday prior to me taking it to "my man."
(I'm losing my memory!)
But hopefully you have (temporarily) saved me $300 in repairs! Thanks again!

PostPosted: 31 May 2020, 08:17 
krbahr wrote:
If the laser is aging the digital audio starts to have dropouts and can be lost before you start to see it in the video. If you switch from digital to analog audio for laserdisc does the analog sound OK? If it does then the real problem is you need to replace the laser. VWT1110 is the CLD version of the laser. If it comes with the gray MHolder you need to swap the black MHolder from the DVL unit LD laser onto the VWT1110 and then the other plastic pieces need to be taken off the DVL laser and put onto the VWT1110.

Hello again. I got the player back again last week, and of course as I suspected, changing the control to analogue and I now have sound.
(Although it doesn't seem to be stereo - either L channel or R channel. :?

But apart from that, as per your description, is this a swap over that I can do myself, and is it described better in the workshop manual?
I really miss the glorious digital stereo! Anyone else have suggestions? Many thanks!

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2020, 01:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If you replace the laser then you'll need to do an alignment for the laser to adjust the servo/tilt etc. to match the mew laser.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]