It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:13

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: When I see horizontal lines on a laserdisc player is this..?
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2020, 03:40 
True fan
True fan

Warped laserdiscs like lines that you can see in the background that go a little up and down. Or is that not a warped laserdisc and it's just the way my LX-H670 reads the disc? I notice that my LX-900 is not having that issue while reading the same discs. I just compared a lion king capture I have between LX-H670 rip and a LX-900 rip. The LX-H670 has some strange horizontal issues at times with the same exact Lion King laserdisc. These lines are not shown at all with the LX-900. I am trying to find out if that's just because the LX-900 is a higher quality player or is the laser not aligned properly or possibly slowly dying on my LX-H670. Does anyone know? If needed I will take a screenshot of the issue comparing the two different captures so you can see what I'm talking about. Right now I'm capturing a laserdisc so I can't do this right away.

Post subject: Re: When I see horizontal lines on a laserdisc player is thi
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2020, 04:57 
True fan
True fan

These are probably not the best examples because I had issues trying to find the frames of the Lion King LD rip to show off some of the issues I notice with the horizontal lines. However, as you can tell there is something weird going on with the lx-h670. Maybe this is normal and it's comparing a middle tier ld player to a high end player. Let me know what you think.

Attachments:
screenshot1.jpg
screenshot1.jpg [ 185.66 KiB | Viewed 1415 times ]
screenshot2.jpg
screenshot2.jpg [ 158.28 KiB | Viewed 1415 times ]
screenshot3.jpg
screenshot3.jpg [ 173.56 KiB | Viewed 1415 times ]
screens4.jpg
screens4.jpg [ 143.1 KiB | Viewed 1415 times ]

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2020, 06:35 
True fan
True fan

Uh oh... Something weird is going on. I just noticed that this new lx-900 player is reading discs better when it comes to the audio too. An example of this is that Lion King messed up with the audio track in the end credits song when I was capturing with Haupagge pvr with h670 and it also did that with the lost boys. Now I just captured lion king and the lost boys with lx-900 and no audio issues in the end credits for either movie. So either the h670's laser is having issues or maybe the lx-900 is just a superior player that can read through light scratches or other defects on the disc that the lx-h670 cannot. Now I need an expert with laserdisc players to tell me what's going on here. I really hope my lx-h670 isn't dying. I like owning two laserdisc players even tho the lx-900 video and audio quality wise seems to be much better than the lx-h670. However, I like owning two players just incase one craps out on me over time. Hoping that the lx-h670 I bought January or Feb of 2020 isn't crapping out on me already.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2020, 11:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I assume the screenshots to the right are of the LX-900?
I think you are too concerned about your players. The only screenshot that bothers me is the left one at the bottom. It is more noisier than the others, but nothing problematic unless the disc breaks up during play and makes it unwatchable. Seems like the brightness in the picture is causing the lines to appear more visually, so maybe the LX-H670 is more soft and bright in terms of picture color? How about adjusting your set according to this player and see if that makes a difference?
Laserdisc is an analog format and no disc is perfect, some players are doing a better job "hiding" what you would consider a blemish or fault.

I think you can relax and keep recording laserdiscs off of the LX-900 for personal use, you don't want to crap out on quality and go for a player with lower standards than the best Panasonic player out there?

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2020, 15:57 
True fan
True fan

laserpaal wrote:
I think you can relax and keep recording laserdiscs off of the LX-900 for personal use, you don't want to crap out on quality and go for a player with lower standards than the best Panasonic player out there?

I love my lx-900 but at same time I kind of dislike the cons about the player. It takes off about 10 percent of the picture on the right side. I don't understand why it does this but I heard others talk about int. Well, I'm assuming it's about 10 percent of the picture. Either way that's an annoyance. It does give a better smoother performance with the video overall and is definitely an improvement if watching a laserdisc player on a bigger screen. Just sucks that it's cutting about 10 percent of the picture off on the right side of the screen. I don't think I've heard of a fix for this. I mean there might be someone out there that can mod the player but it probably wouldn't be cheap and I'm sure there's not many people who would know how to fix that issue. I'm assuming it more than an aligning issue if it is a fixable issue at all.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2020, 16:11 
True fan
True fan

Oh yeah, one more question. When I capture movies with hauppauge pvr is it best to not even use the mode 1 and mode 2 features? I usually just ignore that feature because I kind of find it a gimmick. Like I'm worried it might take more of the picture quality away. Also, one more thing if any of you use Hauppauge pvr for capturing your ld's make sure not to go fullscreen otherwise the capture device will lose frames. I don't know if Hauppauge pvr is the best way to capture laserdiscs or not. I think the video quality is almost a replica of the original source. However Hauppauge PVR has it's issues. I notice it cane get hot at times and I think that can also possibly cause frame loss. Depending what I'm doing I will sometimes try to capture either 2 or 3 movies back to back with Hauppauge PVR and if I feel like it's getting hot I'll stop capturing and I will put the pvr in a colder room for about 10 mins and then start capturing again. Also, never ever plug in the wrong ac adapter to this capture device. If you do that you will fry the Hauppauge PVR. I did that in the past and I had to replace my Hauppauge PVR. This capture device is old but still requires a hefty pc to use it. If you go to the screenshot thread where I have many screens of movies that I captured with the LX-H670 in the past that is the Hauppauge PVR. I think it captures well but it does have it's cons. Tho can't complain when I bought it fairly cheap 30-40 bucks used and when I had to replace it about 50-60 bucks with the original box. So there might be something better out there to capture but I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for it. This is a nicer cheaper option to go with for most people. I don't know what you guys are using to capture your ld's. In the past I had the non-hd Elgato which I still own but the bitrate on that was limited to slightly over 2megs and I noticed it wasn't capturing as nice at the Hauppauge. That's why I made the switch to Hauppauge pvr.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]