It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:40

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: What would be the lowest power drawing LD player?
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 00:38 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I'm throwing a bit of a camping trip with some friends next summer (yeah, 2021 :/) and planned on bringing along my Pioneer CLD-S304 for a nostalgic kick, running it off a similar setup to this guy:

Goal Zero Yeti 400 with max battery chain (4+1 in unit) https://youtu.be/2S4hg6ND7Zk

Does anyone know what the lowest drawing LD player would be? Is there an easy way to find this out? I feel like it would be a somewhat difficult task to determine, though they made models for campers throughout the 90s I believe. I'm fine with buying another player too.

Also, I am very new to the forum, so if I am missing some obvious previously listed information, I apologize. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: What would be the lowest power drawing LD player?
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 00:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I agree. This would be hard to determine. I’d assume that most of the current probably gets used up spinning the discs and the heat shed from the transformer power supply.

Verdict: not worth researching or doing.

Turntables run great on batteries...LD players may not make as much sense. You may end up needing 120 watt hours to watch a single movie...and that’s in CLV...minus the display. I’m OG but I’d go with memory cards or even laptops with DVD drives.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 01:48 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

signofzeta wrote:
I agree. This would be hard to determine. I’d assume that most of the current probably gets used up spinning the discs and the heat shed from the transformer power supply.

Verdict: not worth researching or doing.

Turntables run great on batteries...LD players may not make as much sense. You may end up needing 120 watt hours to watch a single movie...and that’s in CLV...minus the display. I’m OG but I’d go with memory cards or even laptops with DVD drives.

yeah, I'm still going to attempt this, at least as an in home test prior to any attempted deployment (an out of personal curiosity)

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 15:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

If you do go camping with LD I want to see pics.

But personally I think this is just worse than a bad idea.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 15:25 
True fan
True fan

I say go for it! Sounds like it will be a laugh. Something like an s304 would be perfect. Wouldn't wanna take my X0 camping! :lol:

But as rein-o said.. if you're going to do it, were gonna need pictures!

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 21:34 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

odotb3 wrote:
I say go for it! Sounds like it will be a laugh. Something like an s304 would be perfect. Wouldn't wanna take my X0 camping! :lol:

But as rein-o said.. if you're going to do it, were gonna need pictures!

Definitely will take pictures, ha.

I'm going to top off my batteries and see how long I can run a player (S104 looks like a option as well) and 32"-40" LED TV off my current battery bank at home before venturing into the The Great Outdoors.... ;)

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 21:49 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

A 40” screen will need almost as much juice as the LD player, possibly much more, it very much depends on the TV itself. Below 20W isn’t realistic, even with all the power saving options on.

I don’t know about Yetti batteries but what I’m looking at is 120W 396 Wh, which is pretty much gone from your LD/LCD after a movie or three. Did you say you had four of them? That’s over $2000! I thought the cups were overpriced...you could buy a 2800W Honda generator for that kind of money....this is a phenomenally expensive way to take electricity with you.

Seriously, laptops make way more sense. Most have peak power demands under 60W and normal running just a fraction of that. The entire battery of a modern laptop is under 7000mAh and will play DVDs for 9 hours straight from an internal drive.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2020, 04:50 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

signofzeta wrote:
A 40” screen will need almost as much juice as the LD player, possibly much more, it very much depends on the TV itself. Below 20W isn’t realistic, even with all the power saving options on.

I don’t know about Yetti batteries but what I’m looking at is 120W 396 Wh, which is pretty much gone from your LD/LCD after a movie or three. Did you say you had four of them? That’s over $2000! I thought the cups were overpriced...you could buy a 2800W Honda generator for that kind of money....this is a phenomenally expensive way to take electricity with you.

Seriously, laptops make way more sense. Most have peak power demands under 60W and normal running just a fraction of that. The entire battery of a modern laptop is under 7000mAh and will play DVDs for 9 hours straight from an internal drive.

I have 1 Goal Zero 400 with 4, "ExpertPower 12v 33ah Rechargeable Deep Cycle Battery [EXP12330]" tied into it along with 2 high efficiency Renogy 100W solar panels running in parallel. Through some lucky deals my whole setup was under $600 USD actually. :)

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2020, 07:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yep, thats 396 Wh x 4.

I just did some tests with a CLD-D503. It draws about 14 watts standing still, this is the PSU waste load more than anything I'd suspect. When spinning a 12" LD up to top speed it draws 85 watts (!) and eventually settles down to about 28 and then decreases to about 19 by the end of the side if its CLV, it will be 28 the whole side if its CAV.

With a 43" 4K Bravia measured on the same line I'm seeing about 100W at the beginning of the side and about 90 at the end.

So Gone With the Wind may only kill one battery. The Star Wars big box would wipe out the whole set.

Or you could charge your phone like 1700 times....or sell all the batteries on eBay and buy a generator...

But seriously, please do this and report from the field with real world results.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2020, 04:36 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

signofzeta wrote:
Yep, thats 396 Wh x 4.

I just did some tests with a CLD-D503. It draws about 14 watts standing still, this is the PSU waste load more than anything I'd suspect. When spinning a 12" LD up to top speed it draws 85 watts (!) and eventually settles down to about 28 and then decreases to about 19 by the end of the side if its CLV, it will be 28 the whole side if its CAV.

With a 43" 4K Bravia measured on the same line I'm seeing about 100W at the beginning of the side and about 90 at the end.

So Gone With the Wind may only kill one battery. The Star Wars big box would wipe out the whole set.

Or you could charge your phone like 1700 times....or sell all the batteries on eBay and buy a generator...

But seriously, please do this and report from the field with real world results.

I am probably using a 40" 1080p TCL in low power mode. Which should be a 35-40w draw, I think. Worst case scenario, just plug in a usb thumb drive if everything goes to hell draw wise, ha.

That's crazy about the peak 85 watt draw though, didn't expect that, tbh. I have a Honda Jackery around here, I should plug into and check my Pioneer CLD-S304.

Last edited by stanley57 on 14 Jun 2020, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2020, 08:00 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

An LD weighs a pound, it has to be accelerated up to 1800 RPM, preferably as fast as possible, I'm not surprised.

The least efficient aspect of an LD player or pretty much any electronics back then is the power supply. The 503 draws 7 watts just being plugged in, powered off. An average wall wart for a cable box or a dust buster charger may have had a constant draw as much as 15W.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]