It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 03:01

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Is panasonic LX-900u much better than 1000u?
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2012, 16:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Does the LX-H670 have as good a picture as the LX-900? Did MSB spruce up the picture at all for the LS-2X Silver?

Or did they just use that player because there was enough space inside to install an RF Demodulator?

After the 1000, Panasonic developed a more sophisticated 2 IC chip set, one of which did digital TBC, the and the other did digital field noise reduction, CLV memory, 3-line logical Y/C sep, etc. the 900, 600 and later models were all based on this or variations of this chip set, but the 900 was the only model that used all features of both and employed not only the basic video NR but allowed additional video NR to be applied - and offered digital FX.

I doubt that MSB did anything to the picture quality of the 670, considering they didn't do anything to the 900/Runco (other than the AGC defeat). The 670 isn't a digital fx player and probably had a lot of room to add the demodulator, although they offered to add it internally to any LaserDisc player - it was just a single IC and smattering of circuitry. Except for custom, one-off jobs, their usual LD player work was to make/sell "transports" for supposedly improved digital sound playback.

MSB probably used the 670 because it was low cost and allowed them to sell it at a huge mark up.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2014, 01:21 
disclord wrote:
krbahr wrote:
substance wrote:
Ok I plugged it in for the first time and watched parts of Conan The Barbarian and Ace Ventura Pet Detective. The picture is very sharp maybe a bit sharper than my CLD97 clone but definitely has higher noise. I dont know how this player beat CLD97 back in the day(Runco LJR version) I think that magazine was biased because of the THX cert on the Runco. It is also very light comparing to a high end LD player(older elites)

I agree with your results. The Runco/Panasonic players do have a little sharper picture than the CLD-97 but the 97 does have lower visual noise. Which player you prefers depends on if you prefer a sharper picture or lower background noise. The MSB/Runco units really just specialized in Audio mods and the video AGC. Other than video AGC the video signal is the same as the LX-900U.

I have seen the inside of both the 900U and 1000U. The 1000U is has a far better power supply, waiting to see a good working 1000U but after seeing the insides I'd rather own the 1000U.

Pioneer doesn't have any THX units as they never bother to submit a unit for cert.

The problem with the 1000 is its CLV tracking due to wrong parts values in the majority of the players. I returned 3 when it first was released trying to get one that tracked well... No such luck, then a trip to Panasonic didnt produce any results so I tweaked the pots myself for side 1 and 2 play till I got it tracking 90% of CLV discs well. Once I got it working better, the only thing I didn't like was the video processing greatly enhanced drop outs and speckling on discs, and the player has no noise reduction to help reduce video noise - Pioneers Elite CLD-92 had the same video noise enhancement if I remember correctly. The Perfect Vision also got a bad player that wouldn't track CLV when they tested the LX-1000. I recall from reading Compuserve posts back in the day that Panasonic did finally fix the problem and produce good tracking players, but then the 900 came out and Stereo Review gave it a glowing review, especially it's video processings ability to reduce disc noise. The 1000 was built like a tank though and my brother in law has mine now and it still is working perfectly. The 900 seems more fragile, but I really like its picture and its tracking is superb.

Runco lied to TPV about the LJR I and II, claiming both had a different comb filter and other additions compared to the stock 900. I've always wondered why they and MSB removed the jog dial and other buttons on the front panel. Probably to try and disguise the 900.

I still have my TPV issues that review and compare the 900 with other players such as the CLD-95, LD-S2, LD-V8000, Marantz, etc... as well as the issue that reviews the Runco and Pioneer 97... And the LX-1000 review issue. I should scan them and make PDF's of the reviews.

Ty C.

Hey disclord :)

I have an LX-1000 and I've noticed picture noise on CLV what pots did you adjust to change it? I've tried looking for a service manual and haven't been able to find one yet, or a regular manual for that matter.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 12:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I had an lx-1000u service manual. I sent it to Kurtis (krbahr) to work on an lx-1000u. You could try contacting him. As of only a few months ago Panasonic no longer provides service manuals BTW.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2021, 15:34 
True fan
True fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Does the LX-H670 have as good a picture as the LX-900? Did MSB spruce up the picture at all for the LS-2X Silver?

Or did they just use that player because there was enough space inside to install an RF Demodulator?

The LX-900 beats the LX-H670 by a bit in my opinion. I can notice the improvement in video quality. For video quality i'd rate LX-900 a 9/10 and the LX-H670 a 7/10. I have never owned a Pioneer Elite player to compare my LX-900 so I can't say if there's much of a difference between the two. My LX-900 is also revision 1995 which doesn't suffer from agl black and white issues or brightness issues in dark scenes in movies. The biggest problem with the LX-900 which prevents it from being a 10/10 is that it cuts off a little of the right side. I can notice it when I watch on our 65 inch tcl 4k tv. The right side black bar is slightly bigger. That's my biggest complaint about Panasonic LX-900. Other than that I would agree with what I've read on the forum and consider this the best Panasonic Player out of the Panasonic Players I've tested. I also give the LX-H670 a 7/10 overall because my particular LX-H670 has issues reading discs that are either too scratched up on parts of the laserdisc or has a slight warp to it. My collection continues to grow and I probably have 100 laserdiscs or more and out of that 100 laserdisc collection probably about 85 or 80 of the laserdiscs will play fine. So 15 or even possibly 20 of the laserdiscs I own will have issues with the video and audio on my LX-H670. I can't full recommend the LX-H670 unless it just happens to be my LX-H670 that may need laser calibration or maybe laser might be slowly dying. I think it's more to do with it being a middle of the road player and not a higher end player. Back in the day the LX-H670 would sell for around $399 and the LX-900 would ell for about $699. There's a reason why the LX-900 reads the discs better and i think it's because it has a better chip in it that allows for it to give better picture quality as well as reading discs so none of that video or audio issue on warped or discs that have some scratches on it.

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2