It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:59

Page 3 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: My new LD player!
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 12:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks! Yes I'm delighted with it so far. I'm very pleased it's been given a 'service' by the seller too.

There's a few on YAJ who apparently service players themselves and provide lots of images as proof. Don't forget the new cables, photocopied manual and NOS R5 remote control came with it too.

I'm a little dampened by the restriction to NTSC only titles. Example being I forgot my copy of Pulse is PAL. Just a hassle to go to if I want to watch a PAL disc now. I've only a handful of PAL discs anyway so it's not a huge issue. Besides, as was mentioned before, the gulf of difference on my NTSC discs using the R7G makes it all worth it!

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 13:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Enjoy your new player.

A marked difference in quality then, is it a particularly big jump compared to your 925?

Happy spinning :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 14:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

je280 wrote:
Enjoy your new player.

A marked difference in quality then, is it a particularly big jump compared to your 925?

Happy spinning :thumbup: .

Thanks! Oh yes, markedly so. Popped in a bit of Phil to start with and there it was. The hair. The disc is good already, I knew that, but it was a big step up imho from the 925. Maybe the DVDO helped too but I honestly thought some content was up there with DVD and the audio even better.

Definitely happy with the R7G so far. Oh and one other thing, with The Killer on the extras disc if you pause and frame advance I found almost zero image wobbling. Everything was nice and still and ledgible. A huge difference to the 925 I thought. Does the R7G have some sort of frame advance stabilisation enhancement?

At the.moment I have the NR settings dialled back to 0 and the other setting, I forget what it is, just one mark over the middle. Sharpness I have dialled back to 1. It looks whopper! That D-Ext thing though, when you flip it off and on and see the black levels change, that is what blew my socks off. Discs don't have that washed out look at all any more!

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 15:39 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

There are a few players that fix the improper 3-2 pulldown, I think that's what its called.
He said pull.....

Anyway the jitter on CAV from film to video as the frames per second are different.

The R7G is the only player I actually owned that I know did this, there are some other players.
One of the buttons, can't remember which now makes cav discs step 2 frames for each frame and CLV discs look like CAV and step the frames a lot
If you have your display on your TV showing time you will see some extra dots so show this, but then you can press that button again
and it will go back to regular.

Its an amazing feature for the jittery discs and a must if you watch anime on CLV to see what happened.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 17:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
There are a few players that fix the improper 3-2 pulldown, I think that's what its called.
He said pull.....

Anyway the jitter on CAV from film to video as the frames per second are different.

The R7G is the only player I actually owned that I know did this, there are some other players.
One of the buttons, can't remember which now makes cav discs step 2 frames for each frame and CLV discs look like CAV and step the frames a lot
If you have your display on your TV showing time you will see some extra dots so show this, but then you can press that button again
and it will go back to regular.

Its an amazing feature for the jittery discs and a must if you watch anime on CLV to see what happened.

Well that's something new I've learned as an ex 7G owner; thanks for this rein-o, I don't suppose you recall which other players are also so fitted?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 17:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Unfortunately no, and I can't even remember what this feature is called but I have seen it posted that other players do have this feature.
Hopefully someone else will comment and say.
Field step??

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 19:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Not sure if this helps, but I did see this:
Quote:
On CAV discs, access to individual picture fields is possible (half a frame), giving crisp, non flickering pause and step modes.

http://home.q03.itscom.net/nsa/PioneerCLD-R7G.htm

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 20:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

cplusplus wrote:
Quote:
On CAV discs, access to individual picture fields is possible (half a frame), giving crisp, non flickering pause and step modes.

Thanks for this, it sounds at least to my uneducated mind that is what rein-o was thinking of. The only question is....was this feature actually found on any other machine, and if so which one(s)?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 22:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks for the info on that. I gave it a try tonight on the GITS Premium Box and it works great!

Oh and just a side note, I enabled LDG on the disc to see if the DVDO Edge would strip the subtitles on GITS. They worked perfectly. First time I've ever seen them. They remind me of old karaoke discs!

GITS looks great though does sound a little weak. The 4K disc is the best version, though the Premium Box is a nice trinket. Owned it for years and it's mint so no plans to move it on. A lovely example of Laserdisc opulence!

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 06:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Glad you have sorted out the 3D comb filter settings and saving.
D-EXT i found wonders on some Jap discs.
It really does shine while viewing later LD releases the R7G.
How do you find the remote to use?
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2021, 10:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
cplusplus wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for this, it sounds at least to my uneducated mind that is what rein-o was thinking of. The only question is....was this feature actually found on any other machine, and if so which one(s)?

The X9 has it, seeing in your signature you own an X9 and don't know about this...
unless it is implemented in a completely different way on that machine.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2021, 11:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Excellent news and thanks for confirming this. When I originally purchased the X9 several years ago it arrived with an (I think) LD-S9 remote control which I know for certain doesn't allow me access to several X9 functions e.g. d-ext, panel dimmer, audio/video clock setting etc. so perhaps the original remote is required for this feature also. I've tried to source one of these since I first had the player but so far I've not been able to locate one anywhere sadly.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2021, 15:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Few days in to ownership of the CLD-R7G now and this thing just gives and gives. I love it. :thumbup:

A question about that half step frame thing that does the thing I forget what it's called now. So anyway, about that, does that essentially turn a CLV disc in to a CAV disc? Is that the beans of it? :eh:

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2021, 17:35 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yep, and turned CAV into like a super CAV.
So you don't get that jitter on CAV discs every 4th or 5th frame, can't remember which now.

If you don't have grands to spend then this is really the best bang for your buck player.
Some would say you get more of a DVD image but I just though you got a really nice clean image period.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2021, 18:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Oh cool! Glad I understood that right. I did wonder if that was the case when I tried a CLV disc earlier this week and the jog wheel control was great. No wobble at all!

The Killer Criterion CAV set extras disc was the same. It's literally frozen solid so you can read everything without beer goggles.

I'm keen to try out this 'CLAV' feature on my CLV copy of Singin' In The Rain. There's some lovely moments in there to jog wheel through. I always looked down on CLV discs as inferior because I didn't understand the differences. Great to know the differences and that it doesn't really matter anyway with the hyperpowers of the Super Saiyan R7G! :lol:

I agree in that I think the image looks on par with DVD or better, depending on how well the disc you are playing has been produced/mastered. Not in.terms of mpeg blocking or mozaicing etc. Just it can produce really nice images that leave you wondering if you are really watching a Laserdisc. The Genesis disc for example was out of this world.

I really love the R7G. So glad I got it now. I did toy with the idea of an X9 but the scare stories and expense done my head in so I bottled out of it. Kudos to those who have the X9, X0 etc and have good examples of them.

That D-EXT setting is my.favourite thing on it. And the LD G built in, so no need for a separate decoder. It was great to see the GITS subtitles for the first time after owning the premium box for years!

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2021, 20:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

It's great to see you are loving your new player, bet you thought I wish he would change the record when I kept banging on about just how the good 7G actually was Ted? :lol:

I'm sure you made the perfect choice in this machine, although it would be interesting to see how e.g. a CLD-97 would perform in your setup outputting composite to the DVDO Edge; having said that I seriously doubt that would fit in the space occupied by the 7G and the X9 & X0 definitely no go. To be honest I think you'd be hard pressed to see the improvements offered by an X9 over a 7G on displays. Under 60" or so; it was there on my projection setup but even then it seemed to be on less well mastered LDs, run The Fifth Element or similar and they were only a cigarette paper apart the X9 only piped it on audio, perhaps more of a PQ gap with the X0 and maybe the 97 too if you favour a less digital look?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2021, 23:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just gave Singin' In The Rain a try and sure enough CLV is now CAV, or CLAV as I have decided to call it now!

Also the disc looks absolutely amazing too. Gordon Bennett I love this R7G. You lot were right, it's great!

One question though, does the player retain the settings in memory even when powered off? It doesn't seem to be saving for me. Does it run off a coin cell battery perhaps? If so I guess it needs changing. Hopefully it's not soldered to the board. Replacing with a button cell holder would help.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2021, 00:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

It will retain your personal settings if just switched to standby, but annoyingly if powered off fully it loses them and reverts to the factory default settings I'm afraid.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2021, 01:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Ah that's a shame. Not a massive problem as it's not a huge deal to put the settings back. I prefer the safety of having it all powered off completely when not in use.

Cheers for the info sir!

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2021, 02:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

For me anyway,
I play around for the first few minutes with the R7 settings and occasionally TV settings depending on the disc,
Old LD, later release, animation, dark movies and Jap titles i may use dExT feature.
I have my R7 off and power converter off so wont save settings but dont matter much for me.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

Page 3 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3