It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:39

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: What's the visual & audio differences between LX-900
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2020, 19:04 
True fan
True fan

And LX-600, LX-H670, LX-H680, LX-1000 and any of the Panasonic LD players. From reading up on this forum people consider the LX-900 to be Panasonics high end laserdisc player. Now what I'm trying to find out is how much of a difference there is visual and audio wise between all these players. I don't know if this is possible or not. I'd like to see a ranking of each of these players from pros to cons. From what I read on here I believe it goes LX-900 is the best Panasonic and then I believe it's LX-600. So is LX-600 considered better than both LX-H670 and H680. Is the 600 basically the same as those two players? I do apologize if I am confusing anyone with this topic. If someone that is smarter than me could rank the Panasonic Players from best to worst in a list I'd like to see that list. Even if some of these players are ranked in the same number because maybe they are exactly the same despite the numbers being different. I don't know what the differences are between LX-600, Lx-H670, and LX-H680 other than names. Do they all produce basically the same picture and sound or is one better than the other? Not only that but I want to specifically know why LX-900 is considered the cream of the crop for Panasonic. Is it just because the player can freeze frame and slowmo motion on CLV discs. Or is the picture on the LX-900 that much more superior than it's cousins? Thank you for any responses to this topic. I'm not the smartest person in the world so if my grammar is off a little bit or if this topic is a tad confusing I do apologize. :D

Post subject: Re: What's the visual & audio differences between LX-900
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2020, 20:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Here is what disclord wrote awhile ago....

Panasonic LX-600 and LX-900

Not sure if it will answer all your question but it's a start.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2020, 23:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

From what I have read and in my opinion:

Technically, the LX-900 is the superior of them all and considered the best Panasonic laserdisc player.
The LX-600 is built like the LX-900, but a subpar model and it is missing some of the hardware of the desirable LX-900.
The LX-H680 has AC3-RF output, which I believe is the only Panasonic model to have it from the factory, if not a handful of others?
The LX-H670 does not have AC3-RF output and is very likely to be similar to the LX-H680.
The LX-1000 has flaws with tracking discs and video noise making the picture look very poorly. There is a service bulletin for fixing the crosstalk issue regarding this model.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2020, 18:13 
True fan
True fan

I bought a brand new lx-900 that just came in the mail. It is the 1992 version of the player so it will have the agp or agl issues. I forget what that's called where people say the blacks and whites don't look right. So far I love this player. It completely obliterates and embarrasses my lx-h670. However I did pay a lot less for the used lx-h670. With that said the difference is night and day. I can't believe how much better looking the lx-900 is visually. I didn't expect it to look this much better. I think from what I read on here people consider the lx-h670 to be middle tier video quality wise. If that's the case low end laserdisc players must look atrocious.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2020, 00:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I believe the issue is a bar on the side, I guess scan lines are cropped.
Unless you have a film to play side by side you won't see or notice it too much.

They did fix this but who knows when, I think Ty was the only one to know.
The 900 is a nice player, I had one but sold it to focus on the Pioneer players I own now.

While it was nice I don't think its better than a 95-97-S2 etc route, but then again you aren't going to find those under 500 now.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2020, 02:15 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
Unless you have a film to play side by side you won't see or notice it too much.

The 900 is a nice player, I had one but sold it to focus on the Pioneer players I own now.

While it was nice I don't think its better than a 95-97-S2 etc route, but then again you aren't going to find those under 500 now.

Panasonic LX-900

I bought it for $295 and after tax it came to $315. Seller listed it brand new and it came with the original box, manual, and remote control. Both the player and remote look new. So I don't have any reason to not trust the seller. He did take awhile to ship but I think he was telling me it's because fedex took awhile to scan it or something. Either way it eventually got here and I feel like it's a massive upgrade from my H670. The LX-900 and LX-H670 are the only ld players I've own. So I can only compare the two. I feel like the colors overall are better on the LX-900 and the image quality seems to be clearer too. I don't think I paid a bad price for the player considering it's brand new from what seller said and I seen a Philips CDV 400 something sell right after I bought this for 260 plus 50 dollar shipping. So that person paid a little more after taxes than I did for the the lx-900. While I was waiting a week or so for the player I read up so much information on this play on lddb forums and other websites. I think I read a lddb forum message by someone that said that they liked this player more than the CDV 400 because of reliability or something. I don't know which one actually has better video quality. Either way I'm pretty happy with this so far. It has it's red tag on the front of it. I remember when I bought a h670 back in like 2015 or 2016 and that one had a giant dent on the top of it which didn't mess with playback but it also had the yellow tag still on the front of it. I ended up selling that laserdisc player probably because the dent bothered me even tho it worked great. Then later on about January or February of 2020 I ended up buying the h670 again. Not sure I would have done that if I realized the 900 and other players were better. I mean the h670 isn't terrible but it's definitely a noticeable downgrade from the lx-900. As others have already state the lx-h670 suffers when it comes to the color red.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2020, 14:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:

If I'm not mistaking, Duncan told us that the LX-900's manufactured after late '93 or '94 are the fixed ones. I saw a late LX-900 manufactured in late '95 earlier this year on eBay, so that one will be corrected. May have been one of the last of the production runs for Panasonic. Kurtis has also said that this fix can be corrected by adjusting your set, but don't quote me on that. I guess that this information is already available on the forum somewhere.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2020, 19:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

They made a lot of corrections to the LX-900 through the years. As late as 1996. Check out the service bulletins here: https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Panasonic/

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2020, 21:00 
True fan
True fan

I don't have another lx-900 to compare this 1992 lx-900 to. I think the picture quality is nice and I don't notice the black and gray issues that much. I think it's only really noticeable in NightFlyers because I think black is a little too gray from what my screen capture program shows. With that said is there a reason why this player has this odd gray/black issue? Did they think making certain scenes of a movie grayer black would show more detail in the movie? I do know that colors and overall video quality does look better on this player compared to my LX-H670. What stands out the most for me is that the reds show up much better. It's no secret the lx-h670 has issues with colors like reds. I think the issue with reds is a bigger issue than black, gray, and white to me. I'd imagine I'd have to have a 1993-1995 lx-900 next to this lx-900 to really notice much of the black and gray issues. Tho I think in NightFlyers ld the outer space was meant to be a little blacker. It looks like it's going too gray with this player. Overall it's a pretty nice player tho in a movie like NightFlyers it's hard to judge visual quality with this player because the way they shot this film is similar to Superman. It's very dream like. I am assuming that's the type of camera they chose for this movie so sometimes it's lacking a little detail.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2021, 19:09 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have an LX-900 and a Runco LJR II which is a souped up, THX Certified (if that actually really meant anything) version of the LX-900 and I love them. Nice, sharp picture and low noise.

As far as ranking goes, I haven't used any other Panasonic player, other than the LX-1000 which I thought had a nice picture, but not as sharp as the 900 (never encountered any of the reported issues that said player is supposed to have.)

I can provide a couple of reviews I've come across of some of the players to help give you more information.

Here is a review of the LX-600

Image Image

And here is a review of the Denon LA-3500 (which is supposed to be a clone of the LX-900)

Image Image Image

Here's a review of the LX-1000 from Stereophile magazine:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/pan ... dld-player

And lastly here comparison of several LD players including the LX-1000 and a few other non-Panasonic models

Image Image Image Image Image

Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]