It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:33

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-1850] Sound of Laservision discs doesn't work
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021, 10:49 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hello,

I have a few old Laservision discs and they have no sound. When I start the disc I get the messages Analogue Disc and No Sound. I also tested on a CLD-2950 and it gives sound using the cinch output. I googles a bit for this problem and it seems like there is a kit available to fix this. Can anyone give some more information about this? Why is this? How can I check which Pioneer players don't have the problem?

Twan

Post subject: Re: Sound of Laservision discs doesn't work on Pioneer CLD-1
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021, 11:23 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Your old laservision discs are probably old PAL analog sound discs. As there's very few of these discs out there, Pioneer stripped the feature of playing back PAL analog sound on their lower end players. Most likely to save money.

The CLD 1850 is a lower end player, and was probably one the first player where this feature was stripped. The 2950 is a higher end player and it can play the sound. As can other older players or higher end newer players. I don't know anything about a kit but maybe someone has made it so.

To my knowledge your 1850 should still be able to play NTSC analog discs. But not PAL analog discs. It's weird and I don't understand how it cannot play analog sounds, but Pioneer somehow made it happen. Luckily there's only few hundred PAL analog discs. And almost all of the titles can be found in PAL digital sound form or in NTSC form.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021, 12:27 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

yes there are only a few discs and most of them are available as Laserdisc. How can I check it? Or is it always that only pal Laservision discs don't work?
I wasn't aware that they stripped it in lower end players. I thought it was a mistake that they corrected in later models.
But can the analogue sound only be played with cinch connection or does it also work on scart to tv?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021, 13:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I can remember back at the time that Pioneer were heavily criticised in the UK AV press reviews on the CLD2850 (the both side play version of the 1850 and what should have been the companies European flagship model) for the deliberate omission of PAL analog audio playback. At the time a company here called Videotec offered a mod for both 1850 & 2850 which restored the capability to these models, when they were eventually superseded by the later and superior 1850 & 2950 players Pioneer seemed to have taken the criticism onboard re: cheaping out on the previous versions and these machines both offered PAL analog playback.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021, 13:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Don't know about the connectors. Personally my D925 (which is a higher end model that's newer than your 2950) is connected to my TV through cinch. I haven't tried playing my only PAL Analog laserdisc (or laservision as it is called) through scart. So don't know if it plays the audio. But I think it should work through scart. Have you tried to use it through scart?

But the 1850 was the first player to get rid of the PAL analog function. It can play the audio of digital PAL discs. But cannot play the analog PAL audio. Here is actually a review of the Pioneer CLD 1850 from the laserdiscarchive that talks about that.

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laser ... d-1850.htm

Pioneer’s replacement for the CLD­1750 is the CLD-1850, which offers most of the usual PAL/NTSC capabilities but drops the playback of analogue sound PAL discs

However, for the bulk of people who have both analogue and digital audio PAL discs in their collections, the new machine is not a terribly exciting introduc­tion. Anyone looking for a basic PAL/ NTSC Pioneer player would be better of with last year's CLD-1750, though by October 1993 Pioneer UK reckoned it was down to its last 100 units. Effectively, Pioneer has said good­bye to the old technology; old, that is, if you think discs released only 4 years ago qualifies as old. It is mainly for this reason this review will be briefer.

Anyway if you want playback the few hundred or so PAL analog discs you need to:

Either have a player made before the cld 1850. Like the CLD V240, CLD1750 or CLD1450.
Have a higher end later player (which sounds like what you got) So a player like the 2950 or D925 or one of the DVL players works.
Or get a non Pioneer later player. So basically a Sony player since they seem to be one of the only LD makers besides Pioneer that made PAL/NTSC players.

EDIT: They did restore the PAL analog playback on the midrange machines as well (my mistake was saying only the higher end machines). So the 1950 and the D515. But the newer lower end players couldn't play PAL analog discs. So the CLD 950 and the S315 are incapable of playing the sound of the PAL analog discs. And to my knowledge so couldn't the PAL only versions of those players play PAL analog discs. So the CLD 900 and S310 are also incapable of playing PAL analog discs. Despite being PAL only players.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021, 14:13 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I'll also mention how you can check it out if it's PAL analog disc. You can check it out on LDDB and if it says it's PAL and it has analog track. Well you know it's a PAL analog. I put an image and put lines under the spots you should pay attention to.

But if you find something outside of LDDB. Well if it says PAL and Laservision (rather than CD video or Laserdisc) well there's a 99% chance that it's a PAL analog disc. Laservision is just a laserdisc with an another name. But they used that name here in Europe before they updated to digital tracks.

Anyway hope this helps.

Attachments:
LDDB help.png
LDDB help.png [ 246.14 KiB | Viewed 1432 times ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]