It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 06:15

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tracking down CLD-D704 inner jog dial replacement?
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2021, 06:27 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I just picked up a CLD-D704 (for a more-than-reasonable price given what they're currently going for) which should arrive tomorrow. If it checks out functionally, there's one issue I would like to rectify. The inner jog dial wheel is missing, while the outer looks to be in place. Can someone with access to the service manual chime in with the part number for the inner wheel? And any cross-reference to other models that might have the same or compatible wheel? It seems the D700/701/702/703 may be the only models with the same inner/out wheels? And maybe the D501/502/503, but they seem to be a one-piece wheel instead of a two-piece with independent inner/out wheels?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Tracking down CLD-D704 inner jog dial replacement?
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2021, 13:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

You could add the CLD-2950 & 1950 players to the compatibility list also, then again perhaps not so many of these to be found in the US as around Europe? I think the CLD-D702 is quite possibly compatible and there is one currently at $55 Buy it Now for spares or repair on Ebay if you consider this worthwhile? good luck with your search :thumbup:
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2021, 05:12 
Serious fan
Serious fan

There's a D701 owner from r/laserdisc that's going to work with me on 3D printing a replacement based on his as long as we can confirm they are the same part... delivery was delayed by a day (as it always seems it is these days) so I won't have mine in-hand to start comparing until tomorrow evening.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2021, 07:37 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Just to fill in a bit more background now that I have the player in hand... this was a ShopGoodwill.com find that I got for $56... it was listed as-is and only tested for power-on, but seemed worth taking a chance (since even PARTS/REPAIR D704s go for well more than this on eBay these days). It arrived today and functionally everything checked out... clear image, both trays open/close smoothly, both sides play, analog/digital/AC3-RF all work. There are some scuffs on the face as seen in the listing picture above, but the white paint deposits from whatever did the scuffing buffed out with some Goo Gone and it's presentable if not perfect (especially in a dark theater room).

As expected from the listing image, the inner jog dial wheel is missing while the outer FFW/RW knob is in place. The post for the inner knob is round on two quadrants, flat on one quadrant, and notched/keyed on one quadrant. I'm pretty sure I've ruled out the CLD-D501/2/3 knobs as incompatible since they're a 1-piece design with a male X/Cross-shaped inner key/hub instead of a notched female hole/slot (man that sounds dirty).

As mentioned before, I'm working with a D701 owner from r/laserdisc that's going to try to confirm the wheels are compatible on both players and attempt to model and 3D print a part based on his own. If that falls through, does anyone have a D704 or similar parts machine they'd be willing to part with the inner jog wheel/dial from? Or a PDF of the service manual so I can identify the part number?

Even if I'm not able to replace the jog wheel dial/knob, this player is a winner and a steal given current prices. I should be able to sell my Marantz LV520 (D504/604 clone) and come out with a bit of profit in the process. I will probably sell the Extron Video Processor I picked up to try to make some gains with the Marantz as well... the D704 with my Marantz AVR handling Comb/AD/Deinterlacing and my projector handling Scaling/Aspect seems to be a notable improvement over the Marantz either with or without the Extron VP. I'm hoping to recoup ~$200 from the Marantz and Extron VP, or maybe even find a local buyer and package the Marantz, Extron, and Rotel RDA-980 (recently replaced with a Denon AVD-2000) for ~$250

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2021, 17:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

First of all please disregard my suggestion that the cosmetically similar CLD-2950 shuttle knob (part no. VNK2321) could be compatible as I’ve only just had a chance to check out my own and it too is a one piece affair so apologies for the duff gen. Regarding the 702 though, that is definitely a two part jog/shuttle like the 704 and the part nos. are VNK2004 for inner jog dial & VNK2005 for outer shuttle ring if this is of any help?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2021, 17:35 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I know that D shape was very often used in 80s and more modern electronics.
Even grew up with a wheel dimmer for the main lights in one room and it had that D shape.
Try to see if that will work, but in all honesty you will never use the jog and if you actually do it will be on your remote unless you
have a 10+ foot AV cable and have the player sitting next to you when you watch a film.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2021, 21:17 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I definitely agree the jog wheel will never actually be used... just looking to plug the hole for the most part for aesthetics (which is why I'm definitely not looking to spend money on a full parts player), though after getting it in the rack, it's not that terribly noticeable and I can live with it as-is if I can't find or make a replacement. We'll see how the 3D-printing project goes and if that doesn't yield functional results, maybe it will at least yield an aesthetic plug... if not, I'll just live with it as is unless I happen to stumble across a replacement part for a reasonable price on eBay.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2021, 21:21 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Looks like the D700/D701 dials are not compatible... they have a completely different shaft design. Not sure about the D702. Looks like I'm going to try to do the shaft design on my end and the guy with the printer is going to try to mate it to his dial model and adjust the top OD if necessary.

That said, if anyone needs a D700/D701 (possibly D702) inner dial... we have an STL model for that one completed!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]