It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:42

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best way to connect ld ac3rf to Demodulator
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2022, 00:56 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I just recently purchased a dvd laser disc combo Pioneer dvl 700 and a lexicon demodulator I was wondering if someone could tell me what's the best Way to connect this should I use fiber optic or should I use coaxel and when using the demodulator with DVD's do I have to have separate cables for that or will it run through that piece of equipment I couldn't find a thread for this

Post subject: Re: Best way to connect ld ac3rf to Demodulator
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2022, 00:58 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

On another note I realize that the laser displayer goes from the a C3 RF out into the demodulator to the demodulator and the demodulator into the home theater receiver I guess what I'm asking is the best way to do that and When I watch a DVD on this laser displayer do I need to run audio from the laser displayer straight to the home theater receiver or will the same audio audio wires going through the demodulator work

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2022, 05:03 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The short answer for coaxial vs. fiberoptic connections is that when you're talking about digital signals, it doesn't matter. Both coaxial and fiber send the exact same bits. The only potential difference I can think of is if your coaxial cable is so poorly shielded that it's adding noise to analog signals (not digital) on other cables. But even that will only come into play if your cable is absolute dogshit - cheap, standard ones should have no problems. I would just use what's most readily and cheaply available.

I don't have any experience with DVD combo players, but the AC3 RF output should only apply to LaserDiscs, not DVDs, because DVD doesn't store things in an FM signal like LaserDisc does. I'd read your player's manual about audio output options for DVD; if you don't have the original, there should be a scan of the manual you can find online.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2022, 06:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

See page six of the following manual......

https://manuals.lddb.com/AC3RF_Demodula ... D-1-EN.pdf

The only thing you need to disregard is the proprietary DIN cable for other Lexicon products and simply add a composite video cable from the LD player to whatever composite video input on your AV Receiver you have assigned to your same analog audio cables.

Lastly, you will need to read your AV Receiver manual to know how to switch from Digital or Analog audio inputs for when you might play back an "analog sound only" disc.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2022, 08:00 
Site Admin
Site Admin

freddukes wrote:
On another note I realize that the laser displayer goes from the a C3 RF out into the demodulator to the demodulator and the demodulator into the home theater receiver I guess what I'm asking is the best way to do that and When I watch a DVD on this laser displayer do I need to run audio from the laser displayer straight to the home theater receiver or will the same audio audio wires going through the demodulator work

Specifically for the Lexicon LDD-1 which is a passive pass-through (in coax only), you should output Digital to the LDD-1 via Coax, not optical/Toslink.

This way it will work even when powered off and will only need to be turned on for AC3RF demodulation or (selectable) Optical input.
This can even be achieved via external 12V remote trigger with the right cable if your A/V amp has such capabilities.

Julien

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2022, 15:03 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it! these are exactly the answers I an looking for. I am pretty stoked I got the pioneer and lexicon for a good deal on ebay and should receive on Saturday. The first thing I want to watch is Alien the one with the original audio.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2022, 17:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Let's hope the player arrives intact. Shipping is the bane of many LD players. :wtf:

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2022, 20:07 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I know, I am praying for a safe journey!

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2022, 20:53 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Just want to say that the player and lexicon arrived nicely packed and in completely working condition!! I am sooooo stoked!

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2022, 22:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Great to hear, its not impossible to ship a player but its getting harder from these resellers who just flip stuff that doesn't know what they're doing.
Hope you enjoy that OG soundtrack, I've never had that copy of Alien but have an early LD release which I love.

Post subject: Questions about L and R channels and DTS
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2022, 19:22 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hello all, I was wondering if i could have some questions answered about ac3rf and alternate channels

1. If i have my lexicon turned on i cannot switch the channels its locked on digital if applicable, correct? Also, would i have to unplug the lexicon to listen to commentary on the left channel of a disc that has it?

2. Do i need to unplug the lexicon if i have a LD or DVD that has DTS audio and switch to analog to listen in DTS or will the lexicon also auto switch AND do i need to use a toslink cable from the laser disc to the receiver to hear said DTS?

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2022, 03:18 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can start by taking a look at the soundtrack help section:

https://www.lddb.com/help/sound/

No need to disconnect anything. Oh, and always RTFM first, everything you need to do is graphed for you already:

ldfan wrote:

Connect Digital Coax and AC3RF to Lexicon, and Lexicon to A/V Amp Digital in.
Connect Analog Stereo from player to A/V Amp analog input.
You might have to select manually between Digital and Analog on the Amp.

Digital Audio / DTS + AC3RF -> Coax -> Lexicon (auto-switching when AC3RF is detected) -> Amp digital in
Analog L/R -> Amp analog in

That's all you'll ever need.

Attachment:
LDD-1 A+D cabling.JPG
LDD-1 A+D cabling.JPG [ 219.37 KiB | Viewed 2955 times ]

To listen to Left Analog, using player remote to select Analog L, and set Amp to Analog in.
To listen to Right Analog, using player remote to select Analog R, and set Amp to Analog in. (no sound with AC3 LDs, it's a protection).

Julien

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2022, 15:06 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Yes I know this I have the manuals for both the player and the lexicon when the ac3 in locked you cannot change to the L or R channels so if let's say I wanted to listen to the commentary track on Men In Black I would have to turn off the lexicon to listen to the R channel because it automatically goes to ac3 correct? I really appreciate you input I have read allanuals even for the receiver but it just doesn't detect DTS and there is no sound ima tinker woth it a bit but thank you guys!

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2022, 17:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

freddukes wrote:
Yes I know this I have the manuals for both the player and the lexicon when the ac3 in locked you cannot change to the L or R channels

That is correct and the reason is because your AV Receiver is still on a "Digital" input. You need to tell your Sony AV Receiver (I think that's what you have) to switch to the "Analog" input. Once you are able to do that, you will have access to both the Digital (utlilizing the player's built in DA Converter) and Analog audio tracks of the disc. If you want to hear the commentary track of a particular disc, in the majority of cases you then need to use the player remote to switch to analog via the "D/A CX" button and then use the "audio monitor" button to pick between Left or Right channel to hear the particular commentary.

freddukes wrote:
so if let's say I wanted to listen to the commentary track on Men In Black I would have to turn off the lexicon to listen to the R channel because it automatically goes to ac3 correct?

As I noted above, you need to switch the AV Receiver to the "Analog" audio input. Then you need to switch your player also to the "analog" track on the disc via the "D/A CX" button. The commentary track is on the "left analog" track on Men In Black since the "right analog" track is now the AC3 data track. (If there was no AC3 encoding on a disc; both left and right analog track could be different commentary tracks, a combination of a mono movie soundtrack + commentary, or just a stereo soundtrack).

freddukes wrote:
I really appreciate you input I have read allanuals even for the receiver but it just doesn't detect DTS and there is no sound ima tinker woth it a bit but thank you guys!

Are you playing a DTS laserdisc?

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2022, 21:39 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

No it's a DTS DVD but the player picks up that it's dts and plays it, but the receiver it not detecting the DTS signal there is some thing I am gonna try out on the receiver.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2022, 21:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

That's because it can't output DTS on DVD (DTS on an LD is fine since it's DTS encoded on a PCM track).

DTS compatibilty arrived on DVL players starting w/ the Elite DVL-91 and DVL-919.

Also, just remember in general that at least the first two years of the DVD format did not have DTS support since it was deemed an optional sound format.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2022, 02:58 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Well that just makes sense thank you for answering, and trouble shooting!

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2022, 05:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

No problem. if you have more questions or issues, let us know 8-).

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]