It is currently 16 Jul 2024, 07:21

Page 4 of 4 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Harman Kardon ADP-303 Digital output
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2021, 11:01 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Marantz DP870 Digital Out Mod Success!
Works fine!

A lot tighter to fit in - Height of the Module is a challenge.

Attachments:
Marantz_DP870-MOD.jpg
Marantz_DP870-MOD.jpg [ 335.91 KiB | Viewed 2024 times ]
CLD-2290 Digital Prob
CLD-2590K Lots issues

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2022, 07:30 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hey D770, I'm modding a Marantz-DP870 right now. I pinpointed where I need to solder, but wow those holes are small.

Do you have any pictures of where you soldered the coax lead to? I'm sending you a DM as well in case you don't see this.

Photo here for the curious ones.

PD4606A Board with Pin 65 highlighted in red

Audio Board Side A

Audio Board Side B

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2022, 08:10 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Hi ldstl Just had a look what I did... seems I tapped into the DAOUT by soldering to one side of RR01 (Audio Board side B (DAOUT side)) - check with meter if you choose to do the same - I recall not wanting to dismantle further anything if possible...I managed to get a good connection then clamping the coax/signal cable down to the Audio circuit board with hot glue in several places to support the soldered joint. Of course there are many ways to do this..as you have the board out perhaps its better to insert a PCB terminal Pin in one of those visible in circuit holes nearer the Pioneer Chip and solder that in for a good Connection. I recall also the limited length of the Mod PCB wires...so for me it was done as easy and as quickly as possible. Hope that helps.
CLD-2290 Digital Prob
CLD-2590K Lots issues

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2024, 00:41 
True fan
True fan

d770 wrote:
So lookslike if we want to use Optical/Coax inputs to use a Digital Output, we would then need an external switching circuit like Integra accomplished.

It has been a while!

What did I do....

First, the standard mod, tapping the signal for digital out from the IC...
Next, I disconnected the optical input and took that signal line to the switcher I made.
Also the tapped signal for digital ot from the IC is going to that switcher.
To trigger the switcher, I've simply used the "AC3 RF" LED signal.... (When the ADP-303 detects a valid RF signal, the LED will lit up).
I did have to buffer it to trigger the switch.
So when the LED is lit, the switch takes the digital signal from the IC and directs it to the optical out (that was added on the back).
When the LED isn't lit, the switch takes the signal from the optical input and directs it to the digital out.

Works perfectly!
Only downfall is, the ADP-303 can't take signals from the optical input to convert it to analog anymore... (coax in will still work, as does the AC3RF...) But that's not really a problem :D

I've just picked up another ADP-303 for only 30 Euro.. Not shure if I'm going to mod it, or keep it original... We'll see.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2024, 16:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

d770 wrote:
drewmanfu0 wrote:
The LC8904Q is selective through serial control to have pin 1 output the data on the inputs directly. Pin 35 is a demodulated format. You could use an i2s to spdif converter to derive the signal or figure some way to set the chip to output spdif on pin 1. I don't have a schematic for the DP870 to see what they're utilizing pin 1 for. It's possible they're using it for another purpose I will say that the Rotel units are super easy to modify with a digital out.

Thanks drewman !

looking at the SM's it appears pin 1 is not being utilised in circuit...see pic... C++ checked but could not see an output on Pin 1...so wonder how to manually set Pin 1 to output !

So are you hinting that the demodulated output on Pin35 is in i2s format..is that right?

The user Integra who managed to get this going did mention he could not get an output from the 'switching ic' so instead he created his own circuit to switch between RF and Digital Inputs to use the Digital Out.

With the Rotel unit you mentioned was it the RDA-980? just so happens I've sent to admin a copy of the RDA980 service manual today for the manuals section.

Cheers

I've been looking into the possibility that we need an I2S based digital output module to make a connection from the LC8904Q to create a digital out that works w/ all the digital inputs including the AC3-RF input to truly make a DP-870 and ADP-303 into a more usable device. Here is what I have been contemplating @ this point.,,,

A seller on ebay is now offering this new type of S/PDIF board that utilizes I2S.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225471147772

I looked over the points that are needed to make this board work as noted....

.... and was able to find what I think works on the IC....

The MCLK point I'm uncertain about but I think CLKOUT2 could be it based on what the SM says about the data coming out of it seems to pertain to what is required for the main clock. For power, I did not research it but that should be easy to find anywhere in the processor.

In any case, I'm still seeing about obtaining either of these processors and then will go about trying this mod. If anyone wants to try on their own (just remember that I'm only guessing so don't hold me to it if you break it), please let me know your findings.

Addendum……

Well, after more research, I did find that CLKOUT2 is indeed the master clock as I followed the trace back to connector J602 as noted……

Also, turns out the other two clock points also go to this connector which would make it easy to solder wires to (the data out point would still need to be soldered directly to the chip unless there is a larger solder point between it and the Zoran chip.

In any case, turns out I will be receiving a Marantz, DP-870 soon and now I will see about getting this mod tested. Stay tuned as I will create a new post if it works.

Page 4 of 4 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4