It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:51

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [SP-99D] No standby light, need photos of power supply
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2022, 20:55 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hey everyone, I'm having an issue or two with a newly arrived Pioneer SP-99D. I am not getting a standby light, nor regular power up from the device. The fuse checks out OK.

I did find something that struck me immediately. There is what looks to be a cut jumper wire. I can't tell if it needs to be there or not from the Service Manual, hence the request for someone else's SP-99D power supply photos.

I plan to pull the power supply board this weekend and test resistors and continuity step by step. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments:
293183175_10110766439665560_2170168318165013332_n.jpg
293183175_10110766439665560_2170168318165013332_n.jpg [ 132.64 KiB | Viewed 2724 times ]

Post subject: Re: [SP-99D] No standby light, need photos of power supply
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2022, 23:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Is it numbered above or below?

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2022, 23:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

It is labeled as J824

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2022, 01:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I am understanding it correctly, it looks like that has something to do with SP-D07 or SP-99D selection. R221/R202 and the relay. Try to see how it needs to be set (appears it should be removed, but I could be very wrong. Either way, that is a really messy cut.

You need to check all the IC protectors like IC211, IC212. Anything thing with a "Don't mess this up or it will cause a fire" warning in SM.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2022, 06:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Posting an update. I had to take most of the machine apart. Don't ever work on one of these. :roll:

I was able to get 120V all the way to the step down transformer. After that, I wasn't reliably able to get 12V or 5V from different test points. I had to cut the wires on the transformer to get it out. I did some testing with resistance on the transformer, but results were inconclusive. It will be a miracle if I can piece this back together. Encompass parts claims to have the transformer, but it's not in stock.

P/N is ATT1193

I'm lost on this one. The power board won't come out cleanly for me to test. There are some old pin type ribbon cables that I can't loosen the housing clip. It feels like the clip is going to snap and just won't give way to pull out the ribbon cables so the PS board can be released.

Going to get some rest and come back to this one later. Should I order the transformer? I may put it back into service with some patch wires to join everything back together again so I can test voltage taps.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2022, 20:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It looks like ATT1193 provides power to IC301 PDG156B which is always on. When command for full power on is issued, output on pin 77 goes high to the relay that then switches the power on to main transformer (ATT7014). If power is making it to IC301 and pin 77 is going high, there might be a problem with the relay. That jumper that looks sloppily cut is in the path.

Don't buy a new ATT1193 unless there is no output from secondary when primary has ~120V.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2022, 22:22 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Thanks for your replies, cplusplus. I made another attempt at further taking this apart last night. There are regular gray type clamps for ribbon cables and there are white ones. I was able to remove the gray type ribbon cables easily enough. The white ones, however, did not come very well. When I pulled the top off these, the ribbon cable goes in there in a very specific way that I'm not sure I can put back together.

This one may be a goner. I cut the transformer out the other night, leaving 1 inch leads on all previously connected Test Pins. This way, I can hook it back up like for like. With the way these ribbon cables are, it doesn't seem like this was meant to have one board come out at a time but rather pull all the boards connected, leaving the ribbon cables intact. I need to rest on this thing for a day or two and get the wherewithal to try once more to put it back together and test your pin spots.

One positive I have gotten from this is I figured out where on the audio board to tap for Optical and Digital Out to bypass the 5.1 discrete outputs. The tap point is tiny. I have a photo added below that shows where it is. The first photo is of the audio board cover that needs to be removed to access the audio board.

Audio Board cover

Audio Board Pin 65 for Digital Out Board

Ribbon Cables

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2022, 14:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Holy SMD caps. Take a cotton swab and clean each lead then go back and inspect for leaking. If those have any remote relation to those in the LaserActive PACs, that could be your problem. Have you been able to check the ICPs yet?

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2022, 17:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I never knew Pioneer used SMD caps in their AC3 Processors. None of the three I own use SMD’s but none of them use the Zoran chip as well so I wonder if this might be the reason.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2022, 06:28 
Honest fan
Honest fan

OK, I have some results. I tested Pin 77 (what I think it is, at least). Included is a pic of what I marked as Pin 77.

So strange, when I used the multi-meter set on DC Volts, I had the black probe touching the chassis and the red probe tapping pin 77, but I didn't get anything. I switched over to AC Volts and put the black probe on the neutral lead of the wall cord solder point on the power supply and the red probe on Pin 77. I got 1.5~ Volts. I would assume since this is after the transformer, I should expect 5 or 12 DC Volts?

Also submitted is a pic of 3 capacitors on the power board. Are these bulging enough to warrant a replacement?

I haven't cleaned the SMD caps yet (little silver ones, right?) Will clean those tomorrow. Should I just leave the unit plugged in after cleaning the caps and check for leakage?

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2022, 14:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldstl wrote:
I haven't cleaned the SMD caps yet (little silver ones, right?) Will clean those tomorrow. Should I just leave the unit plugged in after cleaning the caps and check for leakage?

Yeah. Can leave unplugged. In this case I am meaning physical leakage rather than electrical. Look for discoloration (i.e. dark spots) that can't be cleaned immediately around the base of the leads.

Those big ELNAs look fine to me. Sometimes the vents on top can appear to be bulging.

Trace this path for voltage: D210, IC207 (M5278L56 voltage regulator), D224, C303 (positive lead), Pin 80 (power actually goes into several pins but 80 should be easiest to probe on the corner).

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2022, 21:34 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Plot thickens, er cracks. Pulled all of the boards out together, flipped everything upside down and had a look. It appears I have leaking caps and a good sized crack on the secondary side after the transformer. Makes sense now why I don't have standby power. Have a look.

Cracked Board

Caps

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2022, 02:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

In a way, it's kind of a good thing that you discovered something as obvious as a crack. These sliced connections can be repaired fairly easily vs. trying to troubleshoot something w/ no obvious tell tale signs.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2022, 02:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I don't see any cap issues. A lot of the time flux (which is quite sloppily slathered all over the back of that board) can look like leakage. Same with glue.

Might be able to sand down the small traces and solder the gap, but the tedious process of running jumpers would be a better repair.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2022, 04:19 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Update: I soldered in all of the jumpers and now there is power to the unit! It was 12 total jumpers that needed to be installed (including 1 trace re-do). Honestly, the soldering was the easy part. Running down all of the traces was more difficult. Here's a photo of the soldering. and then the unit powered on.

Jumpers installed

Powered on

Now, the bad news. I hooked this up to a CLD-R7G with AC-3 and playing an AC-3 disc, but never got a signal lock. Swapped everything over all the same to a Sony SDP-E800 and got signal lock right away with sound output. I was eager to put the unit back together, but will take it apart once more to see if I can find any more obvious cracks. Nothing appeared burnt out on any of the boards. This is exhausting but exciting all at the same time.

If anyone has suggestions on next steps, I'm all ears. For my part, I'm going to start ringing out connections from the power supply to other boards, then other points.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2022, 15:55 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Good Job !
CLD-2290 Digital Prob
CLD-2590K Lots issues

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2022, 20:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You’re one step closer now to fixing this baby.

Have you tried the S/PDIF inputs to see if they recognize a PCM or DD signal? If they work, then I would focus on the Demodulator section. If not, then you have to look at basically everything.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2022, 20:47 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Good call, not yet! My testing area was covered in spare Hot Wheels parts. It is cleaner now and I will run through some tests tonight:

Using analog in, S/PDIF and RCA digital in.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2022, 04:33 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Have an update:

I tried the following scenarios
- Optical cable from LD player to Digital Input 2, output to receiver on L R and C outputs, no sound.
- Left and Right RCA from LD player to Line 1, output to receiver on L and R outputs on multiple inputs (5.1 Multi Ch In and the front auxiliary plugs)
- Left and Right RCA from LD player to Line 2, output to receiver on L and R outputs on multiple inputs (5.1 Multi Ch In and the front auxiliary plugs)

No sound on any of these. Next, I went right from the LD player into both Multi Ch In and Auxiliary on front of receiver, got sound right away from LR channels on back of LD player.

I'm going to take the SP-99D apart again, but this sounds like a pretty big deal if it isn't decoding a single thing sent into it.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2022, 05:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Are the other ICs getting voltage?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next