It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:56

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Picked up a Pioneer VSA-E07 for an absolute steal!
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2022, 12:50 
Serious fan
Serious fan

An AC-3 decoder has been on my list basically since I first got into Laserdiscs, but I've been put off by the prices.

However, I've just upgraded my TV and sound system (which wasn't exactly cheap!), so I thought I'd take a look at eBay again to see if there was anything good. After scouring through the LDDB hardware list (thanks admin and anyone else who was involved in setting that up, it's been incredibly useful, don't think I would have found this deal without it!) towards the end of the list I stumbled upon a Pioneer VSA-E07, collection only from the south coast (very close by for me!). It's a huge bulky A/V receiver, but checking the manual it had a digital optical output which was the main thing I wanted, so I put in a £50 bid. Auction ended and nobody else had bid, so I got it for the £15 starting bid!

There are a couple of minor issues with it - there's an irritating buzzing sound coming from the unit itself (transformer not glued down properly? Dodgy capacitor? Hopefully it'll be an easy fix), and there is an intermittent issue with the LCD touchscreen on the remote (did I mention it came complete with remote? Only thing missing is the stylus which is not a huge deal for me) where the bottom ~third of the screen will instead overdraw the top ~third (suspect that's a dodgy address line somewhere, should be quite an easy fix). But for £15 I really can't complain.

It seems kind of silly using such a giant piece of kit for only one small piece of its functionality, but there you go!

Only thing hat mildly irritates me about it is that it doesn't convert the analogue input to digital, so I can't just have the switching on a single bit of kit. But on the positive side that means I can just switch it on and forget, leaving it in auto to handle everything; if I need the analogue signal I'll switch that on my modern sound system.

Finally... it has a motorised volume knob! How cool/silly is that?!

I've not yet had time to watch a full film with it but I did at least treat myself to the THX intro in 5.1 surround... mmm, glorious.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]