It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:47

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Just brought Yamaha APD-1
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 07:55 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

One many 70mm to include Dolby split-surrounds. I might check it out not big fan of the film its a bit trippy but I'll know some friends that might like to see it and hear as it has some cool musical numbers that top the charts in the early 80's. :)

But would you still go Dolby AC-3 and dts a little bit of both but their more Dolby AC-3 releases than dts Laserdiscs.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 15:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

laserbite34 wrote:
One many 70mm to include Dolby split-surrounds. I might check it out not big fan of the film its a bit trippy but I'll know some friends that might like to see it and hear as it has some cool musical numbers that top the charts in the early 80's. :)

But would you still go Dolby AC-3 and dts a little bit of both but their more Dolby AC-3 releases than dts Laserdiscs.

yes, pink floyd is only for certain people who like it, i have meet others who don't like it.

as for your other question, are you asking if i would use the AC-3 over DTS?

i couldn't really tell the difference when i had both DTS LDs and DVDs playing.
but then again it took me about 6 years to understand and setup my 5.1 system :oops:

and then once i did setup correctly i didn't really care for the sound comming around me, or the echo of the gun
shot behind me.

then about 2-3 years ago i found a pair of speakers really cheap to sell and testing them out i
discovered that i really didn't want to deal with changing my audio on the receiver everytime i put a film in.

had to figure out if it was analog, digital, dolby surround, THX surround, AC-3 or DTS and put the
receiver to the correct setting, i was spending more time before the film getting the correct sound as it
should be rather than just watching the film :crazy:

so then i just bought a carver CM-1090 2 channel amplifier and have been happy ever since.
only button changes i do are if i want the LD audio, DVD audio or power it down :D

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 15:52 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I can see how frustrating it can all be to those who don't wish/like to fondle around with a jargon of sound formats which format should this be played in and has it got a Dolby lock or dts lock, onto the signal for playback...

I think my dad would be the same he would rather watch the film and leave it at that. When he looks at set-up in the room he thinks its something out of STAR TREK with seating :lol: its kinder like :wtf: is all this then? :mrgreen:

I might think about "Pink Floyd the Wall". I don't drink, smoke or do drugs other than what my doctor subscribes to me and nope its not working. :lol: No really I don't drink smoke or do drugs and if anyone knows you have the film they automatically think your a drug dealer. :lol: I don't like needless and if I can recall from seeing this around with friends in the late 80's on VHS that needle scene, umm, kinder put me right off.

Then again The Thing has a needle scene and even that gives me the chills. :(

I'd only get "Pink Floyd The Wall" because it was one of many 70mm Dolby films that was mixed with split-surrounds. I think I'm only a little way to the end of collecting 70mm like Dolby titles with (SS) on DVD and I'll look around to see how many more are on Laserdisc, not many sadly... :(

I'd like all the original STAR TREK films to have gotten Dolby AC-3 at least STAR TREK II would but the DVD and bluray in its place due to one minor 1sec botch-up that is more than enough to tick me right off.

I think your best with 2 channel stereo if you had the knack of listening it would or should have been automatic.

Some people only hear the sound but their not truly listening. For those who hear it and listen its fantastic experience, I don't want to get all soapy and philosophical, you ether have or you don't?

For me I never gave a hoot about sound in the 70's but it was early Feb 1975, Earthquake that changed that and STAR WARS well I saw noticed the Dolby D symbol "Dolby System" outside the cinema but I wasn't listening in late Dec 1977, I only heard it! I was so overwhelmed by the visuals who wasn't at the time? :mrgreen:

I didn't get into listening until 1986 when Platoon was playing in Dolby Stereo A type and thinking why are their helicopters in the cinema? They moved down the sides of while looking behind me and at the screen again and looking behind until it finally made its way on-screen. I think that was the morning scene at the base camp with slight orange hazy.

Since that time I've been listening to the LCRS and its heightened the film, but still I enough the occasional mono film mix. :)

I guess since the end of Earthquake my hearing was asleep and thanks to Sensurround I ended up with tinnitus as I saw it some 4 or so times often twice in the same week and "the Big One" lasted a 8 1/2 mins or so, I wasn't aware of the risk or long exposure to 120db could result in some minor hearing issue that I didn't noticed until 1978 and didn't know what it was called until mid 90's when my GP told me.

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2