It is currently 22 May 2019, 05:36




 Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Denon AVD-2000
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 13:38 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 06 May 2016, 15:51
Posts: 15
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Hi all,

I was reading a lot of info on the Denon AVD-2000. I am about to purchase this unit, but I am not sure it works as I hope it will.
When I connect a laserdisc player to the AC3 input, does the unit output the 5.1 via the optical digital output? (Just like the Sony EP90ES for example).
On the forum I understood this is the case, but according to an eBay seller it only output 2 channel via the digital output when using AC3 from a laserdisc...

So I am a bit confused what this unit can and can't do.
Any thoughts on this?


Many thanks,
Jeroen
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Denon AVD-2000
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 14:01 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 24 May 2016, 01:40
Posts: 319
Location: NY USA
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 25 times
You might want to check this thread: Denon AVD-2000 and other DAC Processors

Quote:
The Denon AVD-2000 has got 2 digital optical inputs, 2 digital coaxial inputs, and 1 AC3-RF input, and it can select any one of these 5 different input channels - manually by either pressing a button on the front or on the remote control. The digital content of the selected channel is directly sent to the one optical spdif (Toslink) output and in parallel is also processed by the built-in Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder. The resulting analog 5.1 channel signal from the decoder (or from the analog 5.1 channel input connectors) is then processed by the equalizer and timeshifter and output only on the analog 5.1 channel preamp output connectors (which may get connected to power amps to drive the speakers). So the digital output does simple thru-streaming of the digital input, not modifying any of its content.

So one may use the Denon AVD-2000 as Dolby Digital 5.1 Decoder with analog 5.1 channel preamp output - or simply as an AV-Switch for up to 5 different digital incoming signals, or you may use it simply as "AC3-RF Demodulator", or as a combination of that all. I have connected the digital optical output and also the AC3 RF output of my laserdisc player to the AVD-2000, and the digital optical output of the AVD-2000 to my modern AV-Switch (which is able to decode Dolby Digital as well as DTS etc.). The analog output of my laserdisc Player however is separately connected to analog input connectors of my modern AV-Switch. Like this I am able to listen to all Laserdisc soundtracks in any possible configuration: analog mono/stereo/bilingual/Dolby Surround, digital mono/stereo/bilingual/Dolby Surround, Dolby Digital, DDEX or DTS ... :)


Hope that helps.
_________________
-LD Collection
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Denon AVD-2000
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 14:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 05 Dec 2006, 19:08
Posts: 1088
Location: Belgium
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1 time
This works like a charm. owned one of those some time ago. Same like the EP90es
Ac-3rf in.... optical demodulated out :thumbup:
_________________
CLD-D925,LD-V4400,LDD-1,Iscan HD+,SR-7007,RMB-1585,DMP-UB900
HM-DH5U,TX-58DX780E
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Denon AVD-2000
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 14:06 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 06 May 2016, 15:51
Posts: 15
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
sjoerg wrote:
You might want to check this thread: Denon AVD-2000 and other DAC Processors

Quote:
The Denon AVD-2000 has got 2 digital optical inputs, ...


Hope that helps.


So that means AC3 to DD5.1 via the optical out works. Cool, thanks!
I guess the eBay seller is using the Denon wrong or something...
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Denon AVD-2000
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 14:07 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 06 May 2016, 15:51
Posts: 15
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
kris wrote:
This works like a charm. owned one of those some time ago. Same like the EP90es
Ac-3rf in.... optical demodulated out :thumbup:



Thanks Kris!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Denon AVD-2000
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 14:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 05 Dec 2006, 19:08
Posts: 1088
Location: Belgium
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1 time
jeroen_v wrote:
kris wrote:
This works like a charm. owned one of those some time ago. Same like the EP90es
Ac-3rf in.... optical demodulated out :thumbup:



Thanks Kris!



In't vlaams.... jaja dat werkt prima :D
_________________
CLD-D925,LD-V4400,LDD-1,Iscan HD+,SR-7007,RMB-1585,DMP-UB900
HM-DH5U,TX-58DX780E
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Denon AVD-2000
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 14:15 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 06 May 2016, 15:51
Posts: 15
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
kris wrote:
jeroen_v wrote:
kris wrote:
This works like a charm. owned one of those some time ago. Same like the EP90es
Ac-3rf in.... optical demodulated out :thumbup:



Thanks Kris!



In't vlaams.... jaja dat werkt prima :D


:D
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Denon AVD-2000
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 14:41 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 24 May 2016, 01:40
Posts: 319
Location: NY USA
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 25 times
Looks like a nice unit, I say go for it, I have a sony e800 and am very happy with it, but I like the the looks of this Denon a little better.

If you do get it, luck and enjoy. :thumbup:
_________________
-LD Collection
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Denon AVD-2000
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 11:04 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 06 May 2016, 15:51
Posts: 15
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Thanks for the help guys!
In the meantime I picked up the AVD2000 and connected it to my setup. AC3 to DD5.1 works just great via the digital output :D
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Denon AVD-2000
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2019, 17:14 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 23:37
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Pardon me for reviving this dead thread, but how did you get it to work? I scooped this one off of fleaBay and I expected to plug in the right RCA of my player (no dedicated AC-3 out), plug in the digital cable into my receiver, set it to AC-3, and enjoy. I read the manual and did everything here and I can't seem to get any sound out of mine. Am I missing some obvious step or setting that needs amending? The previous owner said that they used it all the time with their LD's so I know this works with it. What do I need to do?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Denon AVD-2000
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2019, 18:19 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 3384
Location: United States
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 112 times
You need an AC-3 output on your player to use AC-3, period.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Denon AVD-2000
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2019, 18:29 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 05:59
Posts: 335
Location: San Francisco, CA USA
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 38 times
Ditto... you need to mod your player for AC3 or get a newer player (post 1995) that had the AC3-RF output. I assume this is your ProScan, PSLD41? If so, here is the work I did on my PSLD43 to add AC3-RF....

Scratch built AC3-RF board installed in my ProScan, PSLD43


As to the seller stating that it worked, maybe they had an AC3 ready LD player or just using it for Pro-Logic on the optical output.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Denon AVD-2000
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2019, 00:14 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 23:37
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Why am I so dense? :oops: I always thought the separate output was essentially a second analog right. I should have done more research into it, especially since I have numerous AC-3 discs.
ldfan wrote:
Ditto... you need to mod your player for AC3 or get a newer player (post 1995) that had the AC3-RF output. I assume this is your ProScan, PSLD41? If so, here is the work I did on my PSLD43 to add AC3-RF....

Scratch built AC3-RF board installed in my ProScan, PSLD43


As to the seller stating that it worked, maybe they had an AC3 ready LD player or just using it for Pro-Logic on the optical output.

I'll give it a try. I can only see the 3rd image of your post, and I'd like to see how you did it. I've always wanted to solder something new on a board
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Denon AVD-2000
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2019, 01:27 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 3384
Location: United States
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 112 times
The AC-3 RF signal is indeed in the same location in the overall EFM waveform as where you normally have the Right analog audio channel. It takes the place of it, and you’ve probably heard that mentioned before, but you can’t access it that way, unfortunately.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Denon AVD-2000
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2019, 03:43 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 05:59
Posts: 335
Location: San Francisco, CA USA
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 38 times
11justsomekid wrote:
Why am I so dense? :oops: I always thought the separate output was essentially a second analog right. I should have done more research into it, especially since I have numerous AC-3 discs.


You're not the first and definitely not the last person to assume that the right audio out (and switched to analog) might be a way to extract the AC3 signal. But now you know. :)


11justsomekid wrote:
I'll give it a try. I can only see the 3rd image of your post, and I'd like to see how you did it. I've always wanted to solder something new on a board


Hmmm... I know that my pics don't always load for some odd reason. You might want to try a different browser to view the post. I can provide you the exact points on the 2090 later so you know where to go when you are ready to build and install the AC3 board.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Denon AVD-2000
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 03:13 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 23:37
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
ldfan wrote:
11justsomekid wrote:
Why am I so dense? :oops: I always thought the separate output was essentially a second analog right. I should have done more research into it, especially since I have numerous AC-3 discs.


You're not the first and definitely not the last person to assume that the right audio out (and switched to analog) might be a way to extract the AC3 signal. But now you know. :)


11justsomekid wrote:
I'll give it a try. I can only see the 3rd image of your post, and I'd like to see how you did it. I've always wanted to solder something new on a board


Hmmm... I know that my pics don't always load for some odd reason. You might want to try a different browser to view the post. I can provide you the exact points on the 2090 later so you know where to go when you are ready to build and install the AC3 board.

I see them now and I'll see what parts I need. There's an electronics supply store nearby, so I can get everything at once.
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: