It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:47

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Using the analog input on the Sony SDP-E800
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017, 20:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The following applies to the majority of Sony AVR's. Check your owner's manual if you have a non-Sony AVR.

On my AVR (Sony DA3300ES), there are a number of inputs on the back. For the DVD input, there are usually 2 analog audio jacks, a composite video jack and a Toslink/coaxial input for digital audio. When there are signals on the DVD inputs, the AVR will take the digital audio over the analog audio for sound. If there is no digital audio, the AVR will switch to the analog audio. For the Sony, this is its normal operation.

Sony SDP-E800:

The E800 has an analog input on the back and you switch to it using the button on the front. Say you have an LD connected to the digital 1 input. This will give you digital sound when you press the digital 1 button on the front. If you want to play an LD without digital sound, you are out of luck with this setup. To get around this, connect the composite video and analog audio outputs of the LD player to the analog analog and video jacks on the back of the E800. Now, connect the front L and R outputs on the back of the E800 to the analog inputs that you are using for the E800 on the back of your AVR. Now when you want to play a non-digital sound LD, you press the analog button on the front of the E800.

You may ask how is the above possible. I found out that when you press the E800's analog button, the red carrier light in the digital out of the E800 is turned off. The lack of the carrier causes a Sony AVR to switch to the analog audio.

As of this writing, I have not tested the above thoroughly yet. Maybe someone else could verify the above.

Last edited by dumbchemist on 24 Jan 2018, 21:30, edited 1 time in total. _________________
LD
Pioneer CLD-D406
Sony MDP-600
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

Post subject: Re: Using the analog input on the Sony SDP-E800
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017, 23:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I LOVE THIS because I HATE the issue you are describing soooo much. Luckily it can be switched off on my HK 235.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]