It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:19

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Noob question - don't laugh!
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 09:20 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Ok, I think this is really a stupid question - and I'm a bit ashamed to ask it.. here it goes:

I have a Pioneer SP-D07 Processor - but what can I do with it, and why should I use it? I have now hooked up my LD players directly to my televisions - so no fancy surround sound etc.

And is there website for dummies :) which explains these things?

Post subject: Re: Noob question - don't laugh!
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 10:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The SP-D07 is one of the best you can get. In fact I'm having one sent from Japan. It does the following things, mostly.
1. Takes 2-channel sound via analog line (for LD analog or digital audio) or digital (for LD digital audio), & turns it into 5.1-channel sound for connexion at line-level to a multi-channel amplifier. This is especially good for LDs with "Dolby Surround" or the like, which is 2-channel sound mixed down from 4 channels.
2. Takes the AC-3 RF input from a LD player & decodes it to produce 5.1 channels, for connexion at line-level to a multi-channel amplifier.
3. Takes the 4-channel sound from decoding A-Mode MUSE LDs (or from a quadraphonic LP system such as CD-4, if it comes to that) at line-level, separates the low bass to the 0.1 channel, & splits the mono surround to left & right, for connexion at line-level to a multi-channel amplifier.

It also has other features, of course. But its purpose is to provide you with enveloping sound, from multiple speakers. This has been for some years considered an important part of the cinema. In order to use it, of course, you will need a multi-channel amp & a corresponding set of speakers.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 10:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

publius wrote:
In order to use it, of course, you will need a multi-channel amp & a corresponding set of speakers.

Or you connect 5 active speakers and an active subwoofer to the line outputs :P
But the amp thing is probably more common.
Anyhow, make sure you get the remote, as there are some functions on it, which are not on the front panel!

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 10:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

kaosnews wrote:
Ok, I think this is really a stupid question - and I'm a bit ashamed to ask it..

On a forum like this I don't think anyone minds the occasional silly question, I mean I ask enough of them myself. How else are you meant to learn? Thanks out there to all the silly question answerers!

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2012, 10:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I'm also clueless about using a demodulator. Does one have to connect it to a processor or preamp? Can one go from the LD player to the Demodulator then to an (modern) A/V Receiver?

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2012, 00:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

A demodulator usually is a little box that changes the LD AC3-RF signal into a "standard" Dolby Digital signal, like one that comes out of a DVD-Player.
Depending on the demodulator box, it is usually either an optical digital cable or a coaxial digital cable that has to go to any A/V Receiver that can "understand" Dolby Digital. So what you need is: LD-Player with AC3-RF output -> Cable to connect LD-Player to Demodulator (usually coaxial) -> Cable to connect demodulator to you A/V Receiver.
Note that some of this explanation may not be correct depending on which demodulator you buy.
Also note that only AC3 encoded discs will deliver Dolby Digital (of course :P).

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2012, 17:16 
There are also some demodulator decoders. This is what i have. It accepts an AC3 RF signal or any other demodulated Dolby Digital signal (from a DVD) decode the Dolby Digital and output it as 5.1 analog outputs for connection to a receiver with 5.1 analog inputs. My particular one can also output the demodulated but undecoded Dolby Digital signal digitally through an Optical Output. I'm not sure that all of them do that though. The cool thing about this type is it can act as a digital switch, thereby allowing you to connect a few digital audio things to it then only connect one cable to your receiver. This is particularly helpful since you have to connect your LD player two digital ways. I don't know about you, but my modern HDMI receiver has a real lack of legacy Digital Coax and Optical inputs.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 22:45 
True fan
True fan

jamisonia wrote:
This is what i have. It accepts an AC3 RF signal or any other demodulated Dolby Digital signal (from a DVD) decode the Dolby Digital and output it as 5.1 analog outputs for connection to a receiver with 5.1 analog inputs.

I never heard of a demodulator that has analog outputs. Can you maybe post a picture of it ? Well, as long as it´s not hidden behind the rack, somewhere in the deep.. ;)

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012, 00:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

exinferis wrote:
I never heard of a demodulator that has analog outputs. Can you maybe post a picture of it ? Well, as long as it´s not hidden behind the rack, somewhere in the deep.. ;)

It is a decoder with demodulator, that is why it ALSO has analog inputs.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012, 18:59 
Yep its a Dolby Digital Decoder that happens to accept AC3 RF Inputs. It has 6 digital inputs. One AC3 RF In, One Digital Coax in, and 3 digital optical inputs, then one digital optical output, and one set of 5.1 analog outputs. It also has one stereo analog input. So you can connect your LD player all three ways, then just use this device to select between them.

For some reason the 3rd digital optical input, does not output through the digital out. I'm not sure if thats by design, or something is broken.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 20:09 
True fan
True fan

Ok, I understand..I had a SONY Decoder (that decoded MPEG Surround as well as Dolby Digital AC-3) and a Technics Decoder (which decoded dts.) back then..just to decode my AC-3/dts discs.I was thinking in terms of a simple Demodulator, so I was curious.. :)

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2017, 22:40 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

publius wrote:
The SP-D07 is one of the best you can get. In fact I'm having one sent from Japan. It does the following things, mostly.
1. Takes 2-channel sound via analog line (for LD analog or digital audio) or digital (for LD digital audio), & turns it into 5.1-channel sound for connexion at line-level to a multi-channel amplifier. This is especially good for LDs with "Dolby Surround" or the like, which is 2-channel sound mixed down from 4 channels.

Dang, I think I bought the wrong type of device; I thought Dolby Surround meant just that...surround, but I guess it's matrixed surround? Where as Dolby Digital is true 5.1 surround?

So only the SP-D07 can take a Dolby Surround disc and output in 5.1? If the disc does not have DD ac-3 and I use a regular processor, it will just be mono surround?

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2017, 10:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

No stupid questions !

Glad for the thread ! Learned something myself here !
Thank you publius !

Cheers mates !

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]