It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:34

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Is any particular AC3 demodulator better than any other?
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 21:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

invenio wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:
I received my Sony SDP-E800 digital surround processor yesterday. So far, all functions work on it with the exception of the AC-3 RF input. I have no way of testing that right now as I don't have a LD player with the AC-3 RF output. I tested the processor with a BD player playing a DVD with surround sound and it decodes the DD surround sound with no problems.

I will have to get used to this processor as it seems to do just about everything with the sound coming in from the digital inputs. It has Dolby, Movie, 3D, Music, Sports and Game genres. Each genre has from 1 to 10 modes. For example, the 3D genre has virtual enhanced A and B, virtual rear shift and multi rear(?) modes. The virtual enhanced A can create virtual rear speakers.

The processor has 3 digital inputs and 1 analog input. I am using digital 1 for my LD player, digital 2 is for my BD player, digital 3 is unused as it is audio only and the analog input is for an A/V switcher which has a CED player, LD player and VCR off it.

I just wished it would wash the windows for me (lol).

I also own this but I bought it to use solely as an AC3 demodulator. I have heard reviews that say the analog sound quality is pretty terrible on this unit and that it can have background noise with the analog output? Any troubles like this with your unit? I plan to use only the digital AC3 demodulator and then output the digital 5.1 signal directly to my receiver for decoding.

So far, the output sound is clear and has no background noise that I can detect. My amp can accept external 5.1 input which bypasses the internal DD decoder. All my tests of the SDP (except the AC3-RF) have been good.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2012, 16:36 
First post
First post

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-APD-1- ... 3149wt_910

these look good

regards

Dave

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2012, 16:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I don't think the particular model of the AC3 demodulator makes no difference. As the Dolby Digital output will be "digital and identical." Only the DAC which can be used on a different component will have an effect on the analog output. In this case, you can go with the cheapest option available for the AC3 demodulator and it's better to spend that money on a receiver/dac/preamp that will have an influence on the analog output.

Last edited by invenio on 03 Oct 2012, 19:09, edited 1 time in total. _________________
My Home Theater Gallery
Laserdisc Collection Storage

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2012, 19:02 
correct! all demodulators sound the same, some have a slight noise when the ac3 is lock't but that s it

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2