It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:38

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Picked up a Denon AVD-2000 for Demodulator use
PostPosted: 26 May 2021, 18:09 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Last summer I picked up a Rotel RDA-980 demodulator/processor pretty cheap ($40) locally. It wasn't my first choice because it's a DD processor with built-in demodulation but only outputs decoded 5.1 analog. My AVR has 7.1 analog inputs, so it works, but it also bypasses the AVR's bass management, Audyssey MultEQ32 room correction, and Dolby Surround processing and has only one crossover point (100hz if speakers set to Small). Since then I've kept my eye out for a reasonably priced Yamaha/Lexicon/JBL Demodulator or Sony Demodulator/Processor with digital output. As everyone here knows, prices have ballooned and there aren't many deals to be found anymore.

Last week, I ended up lucking into a Denon AVD-2000 locally when an FBM saved search for "AC-3" triggered a notification for a recent listing. The seller didn't really know what they had and the saved search was only triggered because they had lister the inputs/outputs as listed on the rear. I was able to grab it for $50 and it was in like-new condition, included the original box/packaging/manual/remote/RCAs and even the original remote batteries (luckily still wrapped because they were starting to leak.

I swapped the AVD-2000 in for the RDA-980 last night, with optical for PCM Stereo and coax for AC-3 RF from my Marantz LV520, and optical from the Denon to my Marantz SR6011 AVR. I was impressed to find that both AC-3 RF and Optical 1 could be simultaneously selected on the Denon and it would auto-switch between the two inputs (do the similar Sony models do this?), eliminating the need to switch between AC-3 RF and Optical inputs. This, along with the AVR now receiving a standard AC-3 Digital signal allowing bass management, Audyssey, and Dolby Surround now has the audio side of my LD setup as fully functional and modernized as it can get, with touch-free operation.

The front display can be completely turned off (only coming on when it first locks on a signal or a setting is adjusted) but the front lights are particularly bright (especially the 6 channel lights for AC-3). Since taking the pictures, I've covered them with LightDims stickers like my other equipment, so they're still faintly visible if looking straight on from a close distance, but not visible from seating even when completely dark.

For Reference:

Shelf 1
XBox One
Denon AVD-2000 Processor

Shelf 2
Philips BDP7502 UHD Player
Onkyo HD805 HD-DVD Player

Shelf 3
Marantz LV520 LD Player

Shelf 4
Marantz SR6011 AVR

Shelf 5
Adcom GFA-7500 THX-Ultra 5ch Amplifier

Hidden
Nvidia Shield 2019 (Tube)
Extron DSC-301 HD Video Processor
Harmony Hub (with Elite and Home Control remotes)
X10 IR-543 IR Receiver

Last edited by shopkins82 on 26 May 2021, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Picked up a Denon AVD-2000 for Demodulator use
PostPosted: 26 May 2021, 21:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

shopkins82 wrote:

I swapped the AVD-2000 in for the RDA-980 last night, with optical for PCM Stereo and coax for AC-3 RF from my Marantz LV520, and optical from the Denon to my Marantz SR6011 AVR. I was impressed to find that both AC-3 RF and Optical 1 could be simultaneously selected on the Denon and it would auto-switch between the two inputs (do the similar Sony models do this?), eliminating the need to switch between AC-3 RF and Optical inputs. This, along with the AVR now receiving a standard AC-3 Digital signal allowing bass management, Audyssey, and Dolby Surround now has the audio side of my LD setup as fully functional and modernized as it can get, with touch-free operation.

Nice find for you and a great steal :thumbup: . I think I paid more for mine and it didn't come with the remote so I had to pay extra to complete it. And yes, that auto input switching option between AC3-RF and Digital 1 optical (I don't think it works w/ coaxial) is a nice feature. None of the Sony processor units have that but it doesn't bother me having to switch manually. The only other type of demodulators that have an auto switching feature might be the Meridian and Lexicon units and possibly the Pioneer and Sony units that had the multi input option.

PostPosted: 26 May 2021, 23:29 
Serious fan
Serious fan

It took almost a year of hunting (going back to before I got the Rotel even) for anything that outputs undecoded AC3 Digital (Demod or Decoder) and missing a bunch by just a few dollars (including one that went for $52 on ShopGoodwill a week or two ago that I just forgot to up my bid on), but I finally found one. I could have lived without the remote thanks to the auto-switching, and I use a Harmony regardless. Now I just need to see if my AVR will auto-switch between analog and digital input, or if it locks on to the digital output of the Denon regardless of if there's actual signal present (though I only have a couple of analog-only discs).

I'd still prefer a Yamaha/JBL/Lexicon so I could tuck it away in the back and make room for another full-size component in the cabinet, but it would have to be a really cheap local deal since I have something fully functional... I have an Adcom GFA-2535 intended to power my Atmos channels (currently powered by my AVR), but I just don't have room for it at the moment.

PostPosted: 29 May 2021, 07:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

shopkins82 wrote:
Now I just need to see if my AVR will auto-switch between analog and digital input, or if it locks on to the digital output of the Denon regardless of if there's actual signal present (though I only have a couple of analog-only discs).

Not totally automatic but good enough. If you switch off the AVD-2000 while keeping your AV receiver in "auto" mode for audio priority, it should default to the analog input. So whenever you want Dolby Digital, DTS, or two channel PCM playback; then switch back on the AVD-2000.

shopkins82 wrote:
I'd still prefer a Yamaha/JBL/Lexicon so I could tuck it away in the back and make room for another full-size component in the cabinet, but it would have to be a really cheap local deal since I have something fully functional... I have an Adcom GFA-2535 intended to power my Atmos channels (currently powered by my AVR), but I just don't have room for it at the moment.

Yeah... I deal with the same issue too. Too much equipment and not enough room to show it off ;).

PostPosted: 29 May 2021, 13:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

ldfan wrote:
Not totally automatic but good enough. If you switch off the AVD-2000 while keeping your AV receiver in "auto" mode for audio priority, it should default to the analog input. So whenever you want Dolby Digital, DTS, or two channel PCM playback; then switch back on the AVD-2000.

That's perfectly workable. I think I'm up to a whopping 2 or 3 analog-only discs, so I can handle just powering off the AVD when I come across one.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]