It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:41

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Panasonic TU-AHD100
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 10:11 
What do you guys have to say about this Muse Decoder? Is it superior to the Sony MSC-4000 or Victor HV-MD2?

Post subject: Re: Panasonic TU-AHD100
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 18:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

As you can see from this list, the TU-AHD100 is an early decoder model, & thus in video performance will not be as good as the later ones. On the other hand, it has a very large feature set. Information received suggests that it upscales NTSC video to Hi-Vision resolution, although with what quality I do not know, & it appears to include a Dolby Surround decoder for stereo sources. This latter should simplify certain details of a MUSE LD setup, since to use A-Mode 3-1 stereo properly on most receivers requires routing the audio to a "5-channel direct" imput, which has no processing, & this makes it difficult to get the best performance from B-Mode stereo tracks encoded with Dolby Surround.

All things considered, I might choose it over the HV-MD2 (because that unit lacks many useful features), but not over the MSC-4000.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 22:14 
I agree with you.

I know a person that has a Panasonic and the decoder looks really nice.

In that case i can connect the "composite" video output to he decoder and then the decoder to te TV to have Muse Hi-Vision conversion (1080i) to standard NTSC right?

Many Tanks

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 22:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The scan-conversion does not increase the quality. It only changes the video format, so that the NTSC signal can be input to a HDTV.

If that is what you want to do, there are many products now available which probably do a better job. Try a DVDO product such as the iScan HD, for example. Video has come a long way in the past 15 years.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011, 00:06 
Yes i am very curious what will happen if i connect a DVDO to an X0 or X9...

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011, 08:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

cararte wrote:
Yes i am very curious what will happen if i connect a DVDO to an X0 or X9...

The old DVDO units, especially the iscan and iscanHD are not very good with Laserdisc.
What you need for a LD is a good combfilter, and a good denoiser.
The iscan units don't have either of that.

If you have some money on the side, try looking for these scalers:
Lumagen Radiance, best scaler money can buy -> does the best job in upscaling SD to HD
VP50 Pro -> Has Any/Any cadence detection!
Crystallio 2 3800 -> out of support, wont get new firmware updates, has no "forced film" mode (which annoys me sometimes)

Someone I know additionally uses an Algoolith Flee denoiser along with a VP50Pro unit to get even better results with his HLD-X9.

However the internal scaler of your Pioneer Plasma is already pretty top notch, and you wont see big differences between that
(if properly set) and an external box. But of course you can tweek a lot more with the external box and save tons of different setting
and setups.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011, 09:14 
You know, it's curious that i am checking those for a while but until now no one, besides you, could expalin the to me.

The Crystalio II is out of my reach, too much money.

I wouldn't like to spend more than 2500 USD, and i think that with that price i buy the Lumagen Radiance or the DVDO.

My Plasma is a KRP-600A. Is there a link that tells me how to calibrate the plasma at it's maximum to connect an X9 or an X0 to get the best picture?

Tank you

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011, 16:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Calibrate it just the same way you would for any other LD player, using A Video Standard or Video Essentials to calibrate to US NTSC levels if you are playing mostly American discs, or a Japanese equivalent if you are playing mostly Japanese discs. With the X9, you can have one calibration for both, because you can use the D-EXT function when playing American discs to change them to Japanese output levels.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011, 05:35 
Once i have heard the the D-EXT Mode provides very agressive blacks, blacker the natural black should be, but in certain discs i love the picture with D-EXT.

Usually on Laserdisc the black widescreen bars are grey, not black, and the D-EXT solves the problem.

What is your opinion?

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011, 16:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

My opinion is that the feature should be used as it was designed. Its function is to take American LDs, mastered with black at 7.5% above blanking, & transfer the level to that of Japanese LDs, mastered with black at blanking level. This allows uniform playback between the two "flavours" of NTSC, without changing the TV settings.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2011, 10:23 
I have used D-EXT mode and in some discs i like it, but in others the picture becomes too dark and we loose background details...

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 05:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I now have a user manual for this model, and am sending it to Julien for uploading. The functions of the device are very complicated, but I can state that it scan-doubles NTSC for output to a video projector via RGB-HV. It does not appear to send this scan-doubled video via the YPbPr (component) output. Note that this is 31.5 kHz scan-doubled NTSC (525p or 1050i, I'm not sure which), not 33.75 kHz scan-converted 1125i.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2012, 10:43 
Just curious, how can i connect the AHD100 to the X0? After seeing pictures of it everything is in japanese, and it has more connections than my holw system. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Publius the RGB can also be connected to Tv to line double the standard lds? What cables should i use?

Man if it does that i will sell my sony and buy that one :thumbup:

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2012, 19:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The short version is, connect the "MUSE OUT" of the X0 to one of the connectors in the block labeled "MUSE", directly under the screw holding on the cover, at the top center. You can use any of 入力1, 入力2, or 入力3 (I would suggest either 2 or 3). If you connect to AFC出力, it will not do what you want. Then you press the front panel button which is just labeled HD, until the display shows MUSE 入力1 or whichever you have selected.

If you want to connect to the RGB output, you need a TV or display which will accept high-definition RGB. I have used a BNC-to-VGA cable to try to connect it to a PC monitor, but without as much success as I should have liked. I will give you more information when I have it.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012, 16:40 
Ok
I will try to do that. Lets see if laserdisc picture gets better with line doubler. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012, 17:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If you want to use the AHD-100 as an NTSC processor, you will also need to connect either composite video or S-Video to the rear-panel block marked ビデオ入力. It has a very sophisticated comb-filter, so it is worth trying both. You select that input using the front-panel button, 3rd from left, marked テレビ/ビデオ. You may need to press more than once, as it will cycle through satellite TV, broadcast TV, & cable TV tuning as well as the video inputs.

There are many complicated video-processor settings, including an aspect ratio control. These can only be controlled using the wireless remote, unless you can use your computer via the RS-422 input on the back panel, which I am working on.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 03:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have confirmed that, on the TU-AHD100N, the NTSC input is passed to the component (YPbPr) output, and apparently scan-converted into HD resolution (1035 lines). My unit shows the "N" only on the back panel, although some have it on the front panel.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2012, 03:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

After playing with both the TU-AHD100 & the TU-AHD100N, I am at a bit of a loss. It seems that the non-N also passes NTSC to the YPbPr output, contrary to what the manual indicates. I haven't yet been able to determine whether it's scan-converted to 1125 lines, or just doubled to 1050, in which case a TV might interpret it as "480p", possibly giving a disturbed visual impression. The manual suggests the latter, but again, I'm no longer confident of its correctness.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 16:02 
my be firmware update correct this?? you need sevice manual to enter in update mode or firmware update is by UpdateTV
Quote:
UpdateTV is a service used by some brands of TV sets and other ATSC tuners to update their firmware via over-the-air programming. This is also transmitted on PBS stations via National Datacast.

HOME AUTOMATION connector is a triger or i2c digital transmision :?:

and request to publius

please to film video clip with fluorescent display on all segment illuminate/various mode indications
http://video.fc2.com/flv2.swf?i=20120310kHCXtws1&d=71&movie_stop=off&no_progressive=1&otag=1&sj=vip.videorare3000.fc2.com&rel=1&lang=ja&tk=TlRJM056WXhNVEk9

Last edited by Guest on 01 Aug 2013, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 18:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This is a Japanese device, which can receive BS-MUSE, NTSC VSB-AM via VHF, UHF, and CATV, and BS-NTSC FM with digital audio subcarrier. It does not receive ATSC. Although it is microprocessor controlled, I do not believe it is possible to perform a "firmware update".

The HA ("Home Automation") connector is for controlling curtains & lighting. It is a current-loop terminal, for use with an external sensor. When power is OFF, its condition is OPEN CIRCUIT ; when power is ON, its condition is SHORT CIRCUIT. No input is possible, & no data is transmitted besides these two states.

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next