It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 08:31

Page 2 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: MUSE Decoder User Guides
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 00:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

kencol wrote:
Unfortunately my knowledge of the X0 at this point is very superficial so I can't be sure of the similarities between it and the X9. I can tell you that I had an X9 which would play standard NTSC discs perfectly but refused to play muse discs with the symptoms I described above and resulting in a P5 error. After much trial and error I discovered it was a faulty SYPS board and luckily managed to order a new one from pioneer parts. I checked but the SYPS board for the X0 is no longer available.

If it is due to a faulty SYPS board then it could be that a capacitor has blown/leaked or dried out and it could be repaired by replacing the dead cap? At this stage I'm not sure how you would find out or test if a cap is good or bad. Perhaps someone with more soldering/electronics knowledge can help?

Thank you for your reply. I am happy to hear you managed to get a new SYPS board and solve your issue. That is very impressive !
I must admit I do not have your expertise and therefore wouldn't be able to conduct a proper trial and error process here.

To be honest, I do not even know what a SYPS board is and I would not know where it is located lol

However I believe my P5 error is a bit different than yours. My player can still plays MUSE CLV discs however it has problems playing MUSE CAV discs so
the issue seems to be different than yours as MUSE playback capabilties are still present. It appears P5 has several subcodes and therefore it is
difficult to determine what the real cause of the problem is. I hope cleaning the laser pickup unit will help but it is hard to reach.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 12:59 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Ok, hope you can get it fixed. Post with results either way.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 13:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Have you tried with several CAV MUSE discs or just one? If it's only one then it may be something with the disc but it's kind of suspicious to say the least.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 14:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

SYPS = "System power supply".

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 14:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

nissling wrote:
Have you tried with several CAV MUSE discs or just one? If it's only one then it may be something with the disc but it's kind of suspicious to say the least.

I tried three separate CAV MUSE discs all giving me the same error :(

Thanks for the explanation, publius. I am sure it is not the SYPS because otherwise I wouldn't be able to play any MUSE discs.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 17:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The X0 is based off the U.S. Model LD-S2 with newer updates and MUSE capability, it is a complete different design from the X9. Saying that there is a possibility that power could be an issue of just the signal being weaker or different from age. Hard to say. Not an easy unit to adjust properly

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 18:01 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

long shot but try using a bigger step down transformer. X0 has a large linear motor, its inrush current can be much higher than rated wattage listed in the back. I would generally at least 3 times the rated power. I think X0 is rated 60W, go for a 200W step down transformer. 400W if you plug in the decoder to the same transformer. Make sure its a linear transformer. Even if this doesn't fix your issue it will certainly help the longevity of your electronics and bigger transformers have better efficiency anyway. A good design will have very little inductance(for that look for power factor rating) and low resistance which means more power delivered to the device/s. Regulation wouldn't hurt but not necessary unless you have huge voltage swings in Germany. I wouldn't worry about the frequency either, after rectification the player won't see the freq anyway.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 18:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
long shot but try using a bigger step down transformer. X0 has a large linear motor, its inrush current can be much higher than rated wattage listed in the back. I would generally at least 3 times the rated power. I think X0 is rated 60W, go for a 200W step down transformer. 400W if you plug in the decoder to the same transformer. Make sure its a linear transformer. Even if this doesn't fix your issue it will certainly help the longevity of your electronics and bigger transformers have better efficiency anyway. A good design will have very little inductance(for that look for power factor rating) and low resistance which means more power delivered to the device/s. Regulation wouldn't hurt but not necessary unless you have huge voltage swings in Germany. I wouldn't worry about the frequency either, after rectification the player won't see the freq anyway.

Thanks substance ! I am already using a 400 W step down converter but I need a proper 100 V converter because the one I am using at the moment is a 115 V model. Those 100 V step down converters are not easy to find in Germany. Before I will turn on the player again I will buy a proper 400 W 100 step down converter first which might take some time. Then I will clean the lense as suggested by Kurtis. Then we will see.

May I please ask what you mean by linear transformer ?

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 20:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I ended up buying this step down converter for the small amount of 40 Euro unused. It is a 220 V-240V -> 100 V Converter:

http://www.dchome.net/forum.php?mod=vie ... id=1294398

I hope it is suitable.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2015, 03:35 
Site Admin
Site Admin

confederate wrote:
Thanks substance ! I am already using a 400 W step down converter but I need a proper 100 V converter because the one I am using at the moment is a 115 V model.

So you are not using a step-down converter but simply dividing by 2 the voltage and feeding 110~120V to a machine built around a 100V expectation.

Short version: BAD IDEA, you might quickly damage your X0.

See:

Step down voltage converters
Are step down converters absolutely necessary?
Need a new 220->100V step down.

Julien

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2015, 04:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I don't understand 100% what you wrote about me not using a step down converter and dividing the voltage by 2. I am using a step down converter
but a 115 V model instead of a 100 V one.

That is very interesting what you wrote about those video and sound glitches. I did not experience those on my X0 at all when I was using my
230 V -> 115 V 400W step down converter. I did not use my X0 a lot because I wanted to buy a proper 230 V -> 100 V converter first before
using it for watching full movies. I only watch bits here and there but never a full side on it.
I now did buy a real 100 V converter last night but I still need to wait two days for it to arrive. I however do have a feeling that this might have
caused the problems I have with my player now because it was working alright before :(

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2015, 04:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I got my new 220-240V -> 100 V step down converter today and the player still returns the same error message ( P5 ). NTSC discs are working fine.
I found someone in Germany who has a service manual for the X0 and told me he would have no problem readjusting the entire pickup unti. Let's see.
At least I am a bit more hopeful now.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2015, 01:00 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Did you ever get this issue sorted? If so can you give details?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2015, 08:34 
Serious fan
Serious fan

You will need a sturdy transformer that does true 230 volts to true 100 volts.
I only found such a device from airlink from the uk.I bought a 250 va transformer and they are not cheap, but are pro and have good 230 to 100 volt converters.
I don,t have an xo to test but my pd 707v runs fine. Nothing gets hot.
You should then at least also buy the 250 va one as 100 va might be already a bit tiny for the X0 plus the decoder.

The X0 (but for example also my Pioneer PD 707V) have 100V transformers in them and are NOT happy on US household current as most older Japanese goods as well. Only modern Japanese stuff might have 100 ~ 120 Volt transformer in it. You can see it on the sticker of the transformer in your device if it says 100 or 100 ~ 120 Volts. So also for Europe since we moved from 220 volts to 230 volts i only found the above transformers, strangly no other sites with such devices.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2015, 05:46 
Site Admin
Site Admin

svwees wrote:
So also for Europe since we moved from 220 volts to 230 volts i only found the above transformers, strangly no other sites with such
devices.

In Asia it's fairly easy to find true 230V -> 115V or 100V units (doing both). In Singapore, I'm using a unit similar to this one to power up my (Japanese) A/V Amp, LD player, DVD player, MUSE decoder and even my USA HDDVD player (working fine on 100V).

In France, I had to contact a retail company to have them order a custom-made 1kVA 230 ->100V unit, but that was worth it.
I have it for sale and could ship it from Paris when I come back around Xmas.

Julien

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2015, 16:46 
Serious fan
Serious fan

That multitap transformer looks great.
I think the airlink are somehow also custom made. You dial a from.. to.. voltage and they make a custom transformer.
I can see it in that the enclosure looks put together somehow, compared to the slick rounded wall plugin transformers that only divide in half so 230 to 115 volts.
Having a heavy block is i guess the best practice anyway compared to cheap choppers for the longivity of our precious equipment. But above all, having true 100 volts.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2015, 09:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I was able to sort out my problem. A real professional cleaned my laser pickup unit. He had opened two X0s in the past before so he was not new to the unit.
Now the P5 error has disappeared and all discs are working again :D I also got a "new"
MUSE decoder from our dear publius and I will connect it to the MUSE player in the days to come.
The X0 is very heavy though and since I do not have a car it was a real effort getting the player to the guy who lives on the opposite side of Germany ( 650 km )
using public transportation.

kencol already wrote me that he has solved his P5 error. I assume, you cleaned it yourself, right ? You also told me you are having no audio now ? My assumption is
that one of the cables connecting the audio board got loose. You really have to be careful. There is a reason why the X0 weights a staggering 42 kilos. I would never even
dare removing all the boards ( NTSC video board, audio board etc. ) myself because that's what you need to do in order to get to the laser pickup unit. Only a real pro should do that.

I am using a very similar step-down converter to the one Julien mentioned in his post only mine is 300 W instead of 1000 W. It was bought by somebody else in Singapore, too,
and he then sold it to me.
Two days ago I tested the voltage output using a metrometre ( or whatever it is called ;) ) and the voltage was at 104 V which I guess is good. I like the fact that the one
Julien and I have has both 110 V and 100 outputs. I checked both outputs and the difference between both really is 10 V ( 104 V - 114 V ). I would never use a 100 W/VA step-down converter.
It might even be too little for the X0. The back says it uses 68 W but just to be on the safe side I would spend a few dollars more on a more potent transformer.

http://www.dchome.net/forum.php?mod=vie ... id=1294398

I guess VA equals Watt ?

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2015, 16:34 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Hello confederate, I am glad all issues are solved out and your X0 spinning LDs in glory. VA is Volt Amperes. Power is measured/calculated in 3 ways,

P= real/true power(watts) this is current times resistance square
Q= reactive power (VAR) this is current times reactance square(caps,inducatance)
S= apparent power (VA) this is current times reactance and resistance combined square.

Power Factor (PF) is often mentions is P/S, that how much of the power is true power. You can add capacitancd to counter act inducatance thus improving Power Factor.

AC power lines do have reactance inherited to them. Each phase is represented as a resistor and inductor. DC is immune to this, you only deal with resistance.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 06:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks to publius I got a new working MUSE decoder. Thank you once again.
The old MUSE decoder seems to be somewhat broken. I hope the new one will still last for some time to come.

Thank you for your reply, substance. I took the following screenshots from this disc:

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/00305/VAL ... -Sekiguchi

The picture quality is quite nice. The Suzuka Grand Prix MUSE disc looks very nice, too.

The movies I have ( Stargate, Basic Instinct ) however do not look that impressive. They look considerably worse
that my other non-movie discs. In fact I prefer my Polish QDVD with dts sound to the MUSE disc I got. The compression
artefacts are quite severe. I think I am no longer interested in buying any of the MUSE film discs. They are simply not
worth it in my opinion. Stargate does look better than Basic Instinct but still it is not an impressive release.

I watched two other movies last night on laserdisc. The Bounty ( 1984 ) as well as Awakenings. Awakenings
did cause some problems towards the end of side 2 on my X0 but not on my CLD-925. The last 20-30 seconds were almost
unwatchable. The Bounty however did have some servere problems on my CLD-925 as the discs are very heavily scratched ( ex rental ).
The X0 played those discs as if they were new. No crosstalk and most importantly it did not freeze like on my CLD-925.
On my CLD-925 at one point the 3rd side of the movie would freeze like a broken record and you could only fast forward to
continue watching the movie. On the X0 however there was no problem playing that disc.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2015, 20:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Have to say thank you for the English user guide, publius! Got my self a Sony MSC-4000. Probably would've figured out how to hook it up, but the guide sure made things a lot easier!

Page 2 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next