It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 12:51

Page 3 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: MUSE Decoder User Guides
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2015, 22:17 
Serious fan
Serious fan

confederate wrote:

The movies I have ( Stargate, Basic Instinct ) however do not look that impressive. They look considerably worse
that my other non-movie discs. In fact I prefer my Polish QDVD with dts sound to the MUSE disc I got. The compression
artefacts are quite severe. I think I am no longer interested in buying any of the MUSE film discs. They are simply not
worth it in my opinion. Stargate does look better than Basic Instinct but still it is not an impressive release.

So, to be honest, HLD X9 or X0 is mainly nice to have for the excellent transport and read out for NTSC discs and the HD part of it is only a nice extra for the very few well mastered titles? :crazy:

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2015, 22:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

svwees wrote:
So, to be honest, HLD X9 or X0 is mainly nice to have for the excellent transport and read out for NTSC discs and the HD part of it is only a nice extra for the very few well mastered titles? :crazy:

My interest is in the non-"movie" materials, such as the Imperial Wedding Ceremony documentary. And in the technology, of course. But it's desperately unfortunate that there wasn't a wider selection of releases, & that the film-source discs weren't better mastered. I have certain suspicions as to how that happened.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 07:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

How difficult is it to find the Imperial Wedding Ceremony ? That is a title I am very much interested in.

I will also buy a W-VHS recoder soon. They are very cheap on Yahoo Auction. I saw some for 30000 Yen. That would mean additional fodder for my MUSE decoder.

Well, you are mentioning some valid points, svwees. The transport is indeed excellent however it doesn't make a bad master look any better. Last night I test played my Korean
copy of a well-known Mickey Rourke film. They used the same master as they did for the VHS release of this movie. The video quality was horrible.
The disc even has a Korean language warning at the beginning of the disc "asking" people not to make an illegal copy of their VHS cassette. Come on, this is a Laserdisc not a VHS tape !

I mainly bought the player because it simply looks cool and because I am very much interested in the MUSE technology. But the number of releases is indeed somewhat limited :(

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 08:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

confederate wrote:
How difficult is it to find the Imperial Wedding Ceremony ? That is a title I am very much interested in.

I will also buy a W-VHS recoder soon. They are very cheap on Yahoo Auction. I saw some for 30000 Yen. That would mean additional fodder for my MUSE decoder.

Honestly, I do not know whether Imperial Wedding Ceremony is any harder to obtain than any of the other 00MW releases, which seem to come up for sale much more seldom than the movie discs.

You should be aware that W-VHS is not a MUSE recording format. In other words, it does not store the MUSE signal, but rather an analog component signal of limited quality (12 MHz resolution). It has component inputs & outputs, & one application was to record Hi-Vision broadcasts using a MUSE decoder to feed those inputs.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 11:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

publius wrote:
confederate wrote:

Honestly, I do not know whether Imperial Wedding Ceremony is any harder to obtain than any of the other 00MW releases, which seem to come up for sale much more seldom than the movie discs.

You should be aware that W-VHS is not a MUSE recording format. In other words, it does not store the MUSE signal, but rather an analog component signal of limited quality (12 MHz resolution). It has component inputs & outputs, & one application was to record Hi-Vision broadcasts using a MUSE decoder to feed those inputs.

So in other words you do not need a MUSE decoder to watch W-VHS recordings ? I wasn't aware of that !

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 12:11 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

No Muse decoder needed. You can also record in SD progressive scan which in my opinion make more sense.

They are really beautiful to look at but their use is very limited nowadays. It's like owning a Nakamichi Dragon tape deck. You have the best tape player on the planet but no decent tapes to play.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 08:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have a question: Is it possible the X0 does not have a DAC ?
I am not getting any audio when using my analogue output and
switching to digital audio.

Why didnt all MUSE discs have EFM audio ? I thought that is a cool thing.
At least one of my discs has EFM audio.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 08:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Of course the HLD-X0 has a DAC for audio. It is always possible that yours is malfunctioning somehow, but let's check this.
Play back a NTSC Digital Sound LD. Observe that the "Digital Audio" indicator lamp lights. The player will automatically output the digital soundtrack from the analog connectors unless you manually select the analog soundtrack. Switch back and forth between digital ("Digital Audio" indicator lit) and analog ("Digital Audio" indicator not lit) soundtrack selections, and verify whether you get audio in both cases.

I do not know why not all MUSE discs had the standard EFM Digital Audio soundtrack. For those recorded in B-Mode it seems obvious that this would be redundant, but some of those discs could have been recorded in A-Mode instead, with 2-channel audio via EFM, as desired. But many of the choices made regarding this format puzzle me.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 08:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have already tested that switching back and forth between the digital and analogue
audio track. I have not really tested my players digital output yet but I did test a dts disc
10 days ago and dts sound was working so I guess it is OK
It is not a huge problem but still somewhat strange.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 19:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It is possible that there is a circuit fault in your audio board. See this thread for a possible explanation.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 20:02 
Honest fan
Honest fan

That is the exact issue I had. Replacing the ICP fuses as Kurtis suggested cured the problem.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2015, 07:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks for the answers. Actually I had misunderstood kencol's initial thread. I thought he had lost audio capabilities altogether but he was only referring to
the DAC.

I exchanged a couple of e-mails with Kurtis Bahr yesterday and he told me I could leave it as it is as long as I don't really need the DAC.
I tested both the AC3 RF output and the digital output and they working just fine. So I will leave it as it is.

I am quite sure that someone was already inside the machine before ( I could see fingerprints on the copper plates inside ) and he probably blew thoses fuses.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2018, 11:16 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

admin wrote:
svwees wrote:
So also for Europe since we moved from 220 volts to 230 volts i only found the above transformers, strangly no other sites with such
devices.

In Asia it's fairly easy to find true 230V -> 115V or 100V units (doing both). In Singapore, I'm using a unit similar to this one to power up my (Japanese) A/V Amp, LD player, DVD player, MUSE decoder and even my USA HDDVD player (working fine on 100V).

In France, I had to contact a retail company to have them order a custom-made 1kVA 230 ->100V unit, but that was worth it.
I have it for sale and could ship it from Paris when I come back around Xmas.

Julien

Hi Julien, I'm looking for a power converter to power an X9 is this still for sale and are you still in Paris?
CLD 950

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2018, 11:43 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sethp3d wrote:
Hi Julien, I'm looking for a power converter to power an X9 is this still for sale and are you still in Paris?

Yes and yes.

Sadly I was in Stockholm 2 weeks ago!

Messaging you via PM.

Julien

Page 3 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3