It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 08:21

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Denon AVR-6400 demodulator?
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2022, 21:55 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I’m new to the laserdisc world and I have Pioneer CLD–406 that I have been unable to use due to needing a new belt to open the door to load the disc. Anyways, reading through the site I see some people need a demodulator to get Dolby digital sound while I’ve seen others say their receiver will decode it as well as DTS. Since the belt won’t be here till early next week and I want to get this thing up and running, does anyone know or can tell me where to look to see if my receiver will decode this without the need for a demodulator or do I need to get one? If I need one what would be at good good one to go after? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Denon AVR-6400 demodulator?
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2022, 06:21 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bw1605 wrote:
Since the belt won’t be here till early next week and I want to get this thing up and running, does anyone know or can tell me where to look to see if my receiver will decode this without the need for a demodulator or do I need to get one? If I need one what would be at good good one to go after?

The current list is here: https://www.lddb.com/hardware/part/ac3rf/

AVR-6400 is not part of the list => no internal AC3RF decoding.

If you mean AVR-X6400H, this is a 11.2ch A/V amp that was designed nearly 20 years after the last A/V Amps with AC3RF demodulator built-in.

You will need an external demodulator, the smaller units are Kenwood DEM-999D or Yamaha APD-1.

Julien

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2022, 10:09 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If you are new to laserdisc I suggest you focus on other priorities than digital surround. There aren’t that many titles with AC-3 and it usually isn’t that impressive. Noobs seem to be obsessed with AC-3 and laser rot but honestly they are both a small facet of LD viewing.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2022, 11:30 
Third post and above
Third post and above

admin wrote:
bw1605 wrote:
Since the belt won’t be here till early next week and I want to get this thing up and running, does anyone know or can tell me where to look to see if my receiver will decode this without the need for a demodulator or do I need to get one? If I need one what would be at good good one to go after?

The current list is here: https://www.lddb.com/hardware/part/ac3rf/

AVR-6400 is not part of the list => no internal AC3RF decoding.

If you mean AVR-X6400H, this is a 11.2ch A/V amp that was designed nearly 20 years after the last A/V Amps with AC3RF demodulator built-in.

You will need an external demodulator, the smaller units are Kenwood DEM-999D or Yamaha APD-1.

Julien

Yep, exactly the receiver I have. I appreciate the links to the list of equipment and external demodulators. It’s greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2022, 11:32 
Third post and above
Third post and above

signofzeta wrote:
If you are new to laserdisc I suggest you focus on other priorities than digital surround. There aren’t that many titles with AC-3 and it usually isn’t that impressive. Noobs seem to be obsessed with AC-3 and laser rot but honestly they are both a small facet of LD viewing.

Probably not as impressive as my Dolby atmos setup but still a surround, I love sound more than the picture so gotta get this. Even though there aren’t many titles, I would like to be setup for when my collection grows. Plus trying to learn the ins and outs of this format.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2022, 12:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Surround is absolutely achievable without digital, nearly all LDs that were four track Dolby Stereo are also four track Dolby Stereo over the analog RCA and digital stereo outs.

What digital sound did was increase the degree of separation per channel and add LFE as a thing. LD people were enjoying Dolby Surround on Star Wars, Fantasia, Back to the Future, whatever before digital surround even existed.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2022, 17:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I really don't agree with the assessment that AC3 is a noob thing (no offense Zeta :)).

I've had my home theater set-up with AC3 essentially since it came out and I find these early Dolby Digital LD titles (at least most of them) to be fantastic as they used theatrical mixes instead of home mixes. So yeah... they can be very immersive.

The bigger question would be if the investment of the needed equipment is worth it based on what you have in your collection. How many AC3 / Dolby Digital titles do you own? If you have very few, it may not be worth the trouble and you can still enjoy listening to the Dolby Pro Logic based surround mix. If you have a fair amount, then I say go for it but I would advise looking for an AC3 Processor (w/ optical output) instead of a standalone AC3 Demodulator due to cost (the latter is way overpriced because people think that is the only way to make it work).

Do a search on eBay for the following models...

Sony, SDP-E800
Sony, SDP-EP9ES
Denon, AVD-2000

All these units are AC3 Demodulators essentially w/ extra processing along w/ the optical digital outputs so it will decode the RF signal of your LD players AC3-RF output to digital bitstream when you hook up these processors optical output over to your Denon, AVR-X6400. In addition, since they can also be used as a digital switch box, you can also run your players standard optical or coaxial output to them as well to pass thru DTS or PCM to the AVR as well.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2022, 20:54 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Are you saying you haven’t noticed that AC-3 is a top two topic with those who have a low post count? It’s a very reliable trend. I didn’t have any AC3 in-period, didn’t get it until like a decade ago, rarely use it. It was a niche in a niche and it only lasted like two years.

It’s not that it’s garbage or anything. DD and moreso DTS can be very impressive, it’s just not that big of a deal. It shouldn’t be the #1 question burning a noob. Getting your 2nd and 3rd player should be the main priority, honestly, instead of some black box you can only use on one movie that runs fine without it.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2022, 08:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
Are you saying you haven’t noticed that AC-3 is a top two topic with those who have a low post count? It’s a very reliable trend. I didn’t have any AC3 in-period, didn’t get it until like a decade ago, rarely use it. It was a niche in a niche and it only lasted like two years.

I did not notice as I never really looked at the post count :roll:. I just post whatever wets my whistle and AC3 is one of my favorites.

And regardless of its niche status, I'm not into it for that reason but just enjoy the aspect of what the technology represented in 1995 and how amazing it was that Pioneer and Dolby made it work on a then 20 year old format. And it did last for more like four years w/ around 600 titles released (1,164 listed on lddb but many are duplicates for the Japan & US market) which is not a huge number but enough where I collected enough titles to make owning the AC3 hardware worth it to me.

So yes, I can see how some newbies can be wasting their time trying to obtain AC3 gear (especially if they don't have a lot of titles to play) but it's a decision for them to make after they have been properly informed (if they're rushing into it blindly, that's another story).

signofzeta wrote:
It’s not that it’s garbage or anything. DD and moreso DTS can be very impressive, it’s just not that big of a deal. It shouldn’t be the #1 question burning a noob. Getting your 2nd and 3rd player should be the main priority, honestly, instead of some black box you can only use on one movie that runs fine without it.

Totally agree with that. I'll even add that I think most people today shouldn't even consider LD as a hobby to get into. There are just too many issues in respect to lack of hardware and the impossibility of getting them serviced when the need arises. Thus, if I was just starting out on a physical media hobby, it would be DVD and above.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]