It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:42

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Would you "downgrade" to a Pioneer Susano?
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2022, 15:06 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Hi there!

I'm thinking of getting a Susano, or SC-LX90. For those unfamiliar, they were the top-of-the line AVRs from around 2008. Similar to the MUSE LD players, they always held a strong fascination for me but were absolutely out of reach at the time...

Now, I have an SC-LX78 which is new-ish (from around 2015 or so) and it's a nice unit and does everything I want it to. I know that of course it's several generations newer and has features the Susano doesn't have. Still, I don't use it's Atmos or 9.1 capabilities, which is the main thing the Susano lacks...

On the other hand, the Susano still has a built-in RF-Demodulator (can you believe that??), that would be an actual benefit over the SC-78! It's also got enough HDMI inputs to satisfy.

So, whaddya think - is it worth a downgrade? 8-)

Post subject: Re: Would you "downgrade" to a Pioneer Susano?
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2022, 00:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The Susano is a fantastic piece of kit, a friend of mine had one for a couple years.
One thing about Pioneer Receivers in general should be noted:
There are many parts that can go bad, render the unit partially defective.
Be sure everything is working before you pay for it.
I would not buy it online waiting for it to get shipped.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2022, 05:07 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

For the right amount, yes but not more than a few hundred dollars. As Lons said, you probably don’t want it shipped either.

I was working at a Pioneer dealer at the time this unit was new. Its HDMI section was already out-dated at the time of the release. The front screen is a gimmick. It will only display video from analog inputs. It won’t transcode any video. It won’t do any up-conversion. It has got 10ch amp section but doesn’t support any codecs beyond 7ch. So its really designed for bi-amping but the benefits of bi-amping is debatable. The amp section is class d which is great for HT applications but probably not desirable for Hi-Fi. Its room correction, mcacc is out-dated and never was considered best in class to begin with. They were asking $7,000 and it sold none. They marked it down to under $3,000 towards the end and still took years to go through the stocks. So for the right money, its a great amp for DVD and LD, even greater if you own an old Pioneer plasma to match it.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2022, 11:38 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Thanks for your input, guys!

I read somewhere that it does upconvert analog sources but not HDMI signals, is that what you mean, Substance? I would mainly use it for LD anyway, since I have a separate 2-ch setup for Hi-Fi. One thing that's important for me though is that it can process DVD-Audio and SACD/DSD signals via HDMI, since I have quite a few of these.

I think the main drawback for me would be reliability, as you said, lons. I mean, they are like 14 yrs old by now. But then again, I just bought an X-9 for roughly the same money which is even older :lol:

There was a Susano local to me, but it seems it sold yesterday. I might still be getting one if I don't have to have it shipped.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2022, 21:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Greetings Members,

My reason for purchasing 2 x Susano SC-LX90 last year was because I knew that this was the very last AV Amp that had built in AC-3 RF-Demodulators.

Unit 1 cost around £1.600.
Unit 2 cost around £1.500.

Both are in mint condition without a scratch, come from none smoking environments.
I checked under the top plate to inspect and give a gentle clean, and all is good.

When not in use I have a cover for the vents, so nothing gets in.

I love them and I am glad to have these investments in my Bedroom and living room setups.

Kindest Regards to all of the members

From Mark

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]