It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:46

Page 2 of 2 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Want a scaler? Want a home theater receiver? Onkyo TX-NR
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2013, 00:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

naiaru wrote:
disclord wrote:
I figured you had already got the one offered here. I hope you get this one. Isn't it a buy it now?

I'm watching the LaserDisc of The Hindenburg on the Runco right now. Besides having an over-enhanced transfer at the wrong aspect ratio, it's a noisy pressing but it looks perfect on the Runco, even without the DNR turned on. I love the stereo sound on this film, and the LD's PCM is much higher fidelity than the DVD - I hope it gets a BD release with its original 4-track directional dialog - it was supposed to be a Sensurround film but MCA changed their mind at the last minute. The Neural surround decoding mode works great with it.

Yeah, but it broke in transit so I'm sending it back to gumby, and I think it's just up for bidding.

Oh and how is your guys' MSB board project going?

Wow, there's suddenly a lot of Faroudja's on eBay. I haven't figured out how to get the top off yet and I've also been busy with the holidays so haven't given it the attention it deserves. Its an amazing player though.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2013, 16:40 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Location: Manassas, VA/Northern Virginia/DC Metro/United States
The Onkyo does not have S-video inputs. It has HDMI (8 inputs - 2 outputs); composite ins and I believe one component input. So that wouldn't work.

However; there are a few places that do in fact make a basic composite to HDMI converter; Ill look at those down the road; maybe buy something. I can look at things differently since I have the basic scaling nailed down the the Onkyo; and the filtering it is doing doesn't distract/bother me.

I watched seven movies yesterday without even being concerned about bad combing; it was just pure movie goodness.

...and I did make my first order yesterday from a seller, so the serious collecting can commence!

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 21:19 
True fan
True fan

dewdude wrote:
lizardkingjr wrote:
Hmmm... It might be simpler than my current set up:

1. Really old SONY receiver (STR-K840P)
2. DVDO/iScan VP30 (with ABT102 card) to deinterlace/scale
3. Faroudja NRS for its comb filter

It's just whether I want to spend $300 to replace my old, cumbersome set up (but a set up in which I am relatively happy with).

Can you provide screen shots of the Snell & Wilcox 2 (floating orb) pattern using it, so I can judge its comb filter?

No. Because I don't have the video essentials disc.

That's not a terribly difficult problem to solve. :D

TLK :cool:

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 19:50 
Serious fan
Serious fan

No, its not.

However its pretty low on my priority list right now.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 00:20 
True fan
True fan

dewdude wrote:
No, its not.

However its pretty low on my priority list right now.

From researching things, it appears that the minimum model you need to get good processing/comb filtering is the TX-NR818 with its HQV Vida VHD1900 video processor.

PostPosted: 06 May 2013, 06:17 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I ordered the Onkyo 717, patently due to your review of the 515. My first new receiver in 13 years. I hope it does for me what the 515 does for you.

PostPosted: 18 May 2013, 02:03 
Serious fan
Serious fan

nikita70 wrote:
I ordered the Onkyo 717, patently due to your review of the 515. My first new receiver in 13 years. I hope it does for me what the 515 does for you.

Oh, it will. The 717 is cut from the same cloth as the 515. I think up to the 818; only power output is different; though the 717 may be THX certified.

Maybe sure you head over to Onkyo's website and check the firmware update. I kept thinking mine was up to date; but turns out the last update for it was USB-only. Afterwards; while I did gain SACD playback from .dsf files; it screwed up handshaking with my TV. For a while I kept turning the 515 on; then the TV; and switching TV inputs about 20 times before I finally got HDMI from the 515. I soon realized if I turned the TV on first; let it set about a minute...the "HDMI Standby" mode would finally handshake and I could then turn the unit on as normal.

But, no; it does an extremely nice job of scaling LD; and a nice job outputting sound too.

PostPosted: 18 May 2013, 18:39 
True fan
True fan

dewdude wrote:
nikita70 wrote:

Oh, it will. The 717 is cut from the same cloth as the 515. I think up to the 818; only power output is different; though the 717 may be THX certified.

No, the TX-NR818 is cut from the same cloth as the more upscale TX-NR5010, 3010, and 1010...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008J834ZS

The key video chip is the "HQV® Vida™ VHD1900 Video Processor." Notice that the TX-NR818 has it, but the TX-NR717, 616, and 515 models don't...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JOO4XE

PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 06:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I hooked up my LD to the receiver with the Toslink cable as well as RCA. I put on a DTS LD and the sound was fantastic, I've never been able to play one because I didn't have a decoder. Then I put on an old concert, S & G in Central Park and got no audio. Is there a way to listen to the older discs that aren't digital auido and still have the Toslink cable connected? I was thinking of hooking up an additional LD player with just the RCA. Any advice is appreciated.

PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 07:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If the S&G disc only has analog sound, no, there is, AFAIK, no LD player made that will covert A to D and send it over the TOSLINK. Every maxed out LD setup uses three different inputs; analog, digital, AC3.

You don't have to have another player though, just switch the source.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 23:26 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Switch the source on the AVR or LD player? I tried
Switching analog to digital with the LD remote and nothing happened.

PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 04:43 
Serious fan
Serious fan

lizardkingjr wrote:
No, the TX-NR818 is cut from the same cloth as the more upscale TX-NR5010, 3010, and 1010...

Yeah, pure laziness at the time prevented me from looking that up; I couldn't remember where the cutoff for HQV was. For what it's worth; the 504 I picked up at Goodwill, while having a slightly softer overall picture; does not have the same chroma checkerboarding as the 505.

As far as your loss of analog audio; did you set the audio input on the Onkyo? Since you played a DTS disc; it's looking for audio coming from the spdif input, ignoring the analog. So, you'll have to switch it to analog. Put your 818 on the input for LD; hit home on the remote, select setup, go to source setup, go to audio selector. Change it to analog.

PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 06:23 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

nikita70 wrote:
Switch the source on the AVR or LD player? I tried
Switching analog to digital with the LD remote and nothing happened.

Again, the TOSLINK will *only* output the digital version of the digital track. The AC3 will only output AC3. The analog RCA jacks will put out an analog version of the digital track by default but can be switched to the analog track.

So on the receiver you have to select the TOSLINK for digital sources. To hear the analog you need to hook the RCA up, select them with the receiver, and change to analog on the player.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 06:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thanks for your help, I'll give that a shot.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2014, 22:23 
Serious fan
Serious fan

dewdude wrote:
While cranking up the contrast when using the TV resulted in basically "hey, here's some ugly video noise over the picture"; cranking the contrast up in the Onkyo seems to have a subtle overall sharpening effect. Sure, typical video noise is there and becomes more noticeable; but no where near the ugliness from the TV itself. In fact, with the Onkyo's output the TV's contrast doesn't enhance noise as badly. Since I don't have any test patterns on a disc (though I think one of my Criterion boxes mentioned something about having some patterns of some sort); I've been mostly adjusting to what looks good...which has taken a while since the contrast actually seems to work properly...and I seem to like it cranked up. I did last night get everything set to something else based on an entirely new set of settings....which I'll tell you about in a bit.

I was fiddling with my iScan HD+'s settings a few nights ago. The unit's contrast settings go to 100- I experimented with settings just to see what would happen, boosting the contrast to 25. No noise, but the whites were WAY too bright. Tried 20- perfect. No noise, and a slightly more than subtle sharpening effect. The image POPS now, like never before!

Here's my setup:
Pioneer Elite CLD-99 going into:
Panasonic DMR-E20 via S-vid, going into:
iScan HD+ via component, going into:
55" Sanyo LCD via HDMI

The results are incredible. The only bad-looking discs are, unfortunately, Discovision titles, including some made by DV for Paramount (i.e., "Friday the 13th"). My "Addams Family" TV discs look incredible. I finished the CLV Criterion "Citizen Kane" 50th Anniversary disc today and it looks incredibly detailed- I woulda thought it came from a nitrate print, but the sleeve said it came from a fine-grain positive print. It was so incredibly detailed.

Overall, I have to say that with a '99 an iScan HD+, proper connections and settings, an LCD TV can look incredible for laserdiscs. For what it's worth, the 2-disc DVD of "Kane" does NOT compare with the laserdisc, aside from the scratches and breaks the laserdisc has.

:clap: 8-)

Last edited by circlesky73 on 14 Jan 2014, 06:04, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 01:06 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

You need Video Essentials or A Video Standard LDs to optimize settings. Basic settings can be done via just eying the screen and following guides on the patterns. You can set the correct brightness, contrast, color, tint, and sharpness. You need special tools like spectrometer and/or color meter to correctly adjust white balance, grey scale. If your white balance is off, say too much blue, your picture will look bright even if you had the contrast/brightness on correct settings. Grey scale/ gamma is important for consistency. Your display/player/video processor will have a fluctuation, something like brightness on the lower IRE (dark) areas might be lower than higher IRE (bright). With gamma adjustments, you adjust blue, red, green at each IRE in 2,5,10,20 increments(depends on video scalar/display, most do 9 point) for a straight gamma y of 2.2. You can go one step ahead and work with cms for secondary colors magenta, cyan, yellow but this will improve less than another %1 and only for perfectionist.

Cost is somewhat like this:

-Have a professional do calibration: $200-400 per display(I doubt they will touch laserdisc) Efficiency: %95-99 depending on available adjustment on make/model of display/video processor.
-Video Essentials or similar calibration disc via eying the display: $20-30 Efficiency: %70-80.
-Using calman or chromapure, spectro and/or colormeter: There is free sw available(need pc), colormeters start at under $100 and good ones start around $150. Spectros(optional) are expensive. Efficiency: %95-98 depending on available adjustment on make/model display and your efficiency in understanding calibration/sw.

The improvement on scientific/with tools calibration made bigger improvement on my video then anything including upgrading to hld-x0, adding crystalio II, highend cables, power filtration etc.. it is well worth it for any source.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 04:26 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thanks, substance.

I did use "Video Essentials" to adjust everything, but in the past I never touched contrast because I've read it will only add noise. However, I read the comments on the upconverting Onkyo receiver and figured, what the heck, why not give it a shot. Selecting "NR OFF" on the 99 helped immensely as well (leaving only 3D filter and 'sharpness' on), adding more detail and removing artifacts as well. Also, I set the iScan's screen aspect ratio to 4:3, since zooming adds a poop-ton of artifacts; if the title is an open-matte, I can select whatever aspect ratio it is and view it that way.

Page 2 of 2 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2