It is currently 11 May 2024, 12:32

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: pre outs
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 19:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

i was wondering, when you connect a receiver with THX processing via the pre-out or multi channel/multi room inputs of a denon or pioneer reciever that is non thx, will the thx cinema mode and it's settings be heard on the denon?

is it possible to do this?

Post subject: Re: pre outs
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 19:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

THX is just a badge on the player. There are no settings or signal formats or anything like that. So good news, mythical products are compatible with everything because you won't miss features that don't even exist in the first place!

But I think one of us is confused though. Why/how would you connect a receiver to another receiver? Are you talking about a signal processor such as the Harmon Kardon ADP 303, which takes an AC-3 signal, demodulates it, demuxes it, and puts it out as six line level signals so that the multi-line inputs on a receiver can accept it?

I know this stuff can be confusing.

What specific models are you thinking of?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 19:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

such as the pioneer elite series, which had thx select processing (timbre matching and so on) some models are vsx 27tx, 37tx, 39tx....

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 20:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

your options are:

1 - pay a professional to setup a home theatre for you.

2 - go to best buy or your local store and ask them.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 23:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

newtolaserelie wrote:
such as the pioneer elite series, which had thx select processing (timbre matching and so on) some models are vsx 27tx, 37tx, 39tx....

In your original post you mentioned hooking one receiver to another receiver. That's what I don't get.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 23:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
THX is just a badge on the player. There are no settings or signal formats or anything like that. So good news, mythical products are compatible with everything because you won't miss features that don't even exist in the first place!

But I think one of us is confused though. Why/how would you connect a receiver to another receiver? Are you talking about a signal processor such as the Harmon Kardon ADP 303, which takes an AC-3 signal, demodulates it, demuxes it, and puts it out as six line level signals so that the multi-line inputs on a receiver can accept it?

I know this stuff can be confusing.

What specific models are you thinking of?

well, i was thinking about upgrading my current sherwood 5030r with one of the pioneer elite series vsx recievers, which have AC-3 RF decoding built in, plus THX select decoding (thx decoding features, excuse the all caps--RE-EQUALIZATION, DYNAMIC DECORREATION, TIMBRE MATCHING, BASS PEAK MANAGER and LOUDSPEAKER TIME SYNC).

some of the models are vsx 27tx, 37tx, 39tx and so on.
but i would also want the audyssey dsx options for mock 70mm split surround, allowing thx settings on the denon avr 3312/3313ci.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 02:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well, unless I'm missing something, these are all standalone pieces of gear. There isn't any hooking them together. You can have the Pioneer, or you can have the Dennon.

If you want to get that involved with the signal you don't want a receiver, you want a true component system for way more money.

My personal opinion is that %90 of the time what is on the disc is best. All those fancy features do "immerse" the listeners more but they also introduce all sorts of artifacts, stuff leaking into the surrounds, etc. If you get the nice old Pioneer with AC-3 in it you won't have any reason to complain.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 02:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Some more I'd like to add:

The dudes who did the final mix down on Empire or Goldeneye know a lot more than I do about sound. I prefer to send their opinion of what sounds good straight to my speakers with little to no modification.

Also, good speakers are expensive. You'll see bigger gains there than with some gimmicky DSP. Two KEFs beat nine JBLs any day of the week.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 03:02 
signofzeta wrote:
newtolaserelie wrote:

In your original post you mentioned hooking one receiver to another receiver. That's what I don't get.

It sounds like he has 2 receivers that have different processing modes and he wants to use both. You could input the audio source into once receiver and use its processing capabilities and then use the pre outs to input the processed signal into another receiver for further processing which would provide the amplification for the speakers.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 04:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

thanks, ucfmatt.
i was curious about if i could do it, sort of a 70mm mock presentation with thx sound.
i do plan to upgrade my old reciever by the summer.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 04:31 
newtolaserelie wrote:
thanks, ucfmatt.
i was curious about if i could do it, sort of a 70mm mock presentation with thx sound.
i do plan to upgrade my old reciever by the summer.

Honestly I have no idea how that would play out but I can see the logic in what you're trying to do.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 21:22 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:

Also, good speakers are expensive. You'll see bigger gains there than with some gimmicky DSP. Two KEFs beat nine JBLs any day of the week.

Depends on the JBLs, don't it?

je

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 22:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

jdeavs wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Depends on the JBLs, don't it?

je

:thumbup:

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 00:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Most JBLs have a retail price of about $20 each and come in packs of six or more.

It's true though, they have made some nice stuff. So I should have said that two KEFs beat nine JBLs 6 days out of a week. :)

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 01:49 
signofzeta wrote:
Most JBLs have a retail price of about $20 each and come in packs of six or more.

It's true though, they have made some nice stuff. So I should have said that two KEFs beat nine JBLs 6 days out of a week. :)

True, unless the day of the week happens to have KEF up against JBL Everests, considered by many as the best speakers money can buy :)

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 18:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

JBLs come in so many flavors. I've had some that were absolutely terrible. I use the JBL HLS series now and they more than get the job done for my budget and non-stereophile ears.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 18:23 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:

I'm thinkin' you & I don't shop in the same places for our JBLs.

je

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 18:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

When I think "JBL" I think garbage like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JBL+-+5.1-C ... &cp=2&lp=2

But if their better stuff is that great you can substitute "Fisher" or "Tandy" for JBL. Personally, I always put JBL on about the same level as Sony, probably not even as good as Bose, but I've only heard so many systems in my life.

These days most of even the best speaker companies make a lot of low end garbage because the low end garbage market is the biggest. I knew a guy who had Klipsch speakers that came with his $1200 computer. Obviously they are Klipsch in name only.

The POINT that I was getting at though is that fancy effects and multiple speakers don't make up for low quality gear. A good stereo home theater kicks the crap out of a bad 7.2 system with a million logos and patented DSP tech.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 19:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

jdeavs wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

I'm thinkin' you & I don't shop in the same places for our JBLs.

je

:thumbup: when i think of JBLs i think of super duplexes or L100 or even better :thumbup:

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013, 02:28 
signofzeta wrote:
When I think "JBL" I think garbage like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JBL+-+5.1-C ... &cp=2&lp=2

But if their better stuff is that great you can substitute "Fisher" or "Tandy" for JBL. Personally, I always put JBL on about the same level as Sony, probably not even as good as Bose, but I've only heard so many systems in my life.

These days most of even the best speaker companies make a lot of low end garbage because the low end garbage market is the biggest. I knew a guy who had Klipsch speakers that came with his $1200 computer. Obviously they are Klipsch in name only.

The POINT that I was getting at though is that fancy effects and multiple speakers don't make up for low quality gear. A good stereo home theater kicks the crap out of a bad 7.2 system with a million logos and patented DSP tech.

JBL is an interesting brand. They make some pretty low end crap, but they also produce some fantastic speakers. Right now I'm using a pair of S38s for my fronts and the EC35 for my center channel. While not really high-end gear by any means they do sound fantastic. I'd hate for someone to blindly pass on the brand just because of any preconceptions stemming from their low-end lineup.

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next