It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:08

Page 17 of 22 [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Home Theater equipment list
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2012, 20:50 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

rein-o wrote:
glad to hear it worked, i have no idea what made it happen.

I'm clueless as well and I have to phone again to ask the question about why the EQ didn't get blanked or did I leave it enough time or was it flake I entered "1111"?

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2012, 00:38 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Okay I'm thinking about removing the CP65 and CP45 and installing the two CP500 as follows.

Wire the 6 basic outputs from the Yamaha RX-V650 over to one CP500 with A/D6channel input card fitted then wire the left and right surrounds to one of the (programmed user inputs) non-sync on the other CP500 for surround-EX use.

Wire the remaining two extra stereo back surrounds to the other non-sync input so that it will allow me to use the left right front 1/3 EQ but here's the snag with that arrangement. The left and right 1/3 EQ only corresponds to the same EQ settings for the one already done for the sidewall surrounds in the other user non-sync mode and so the timber balance will be out of place. Only way is to fit the other outboard 1/3 EQ to the CP500 so the EQ for the EX and stereo back surrounds will only be done on the outboard not the internal CP500 EQ for the surrounds for rear back.

I have lead that fits it only needs to be wired up to the correct pin numbers for LCR/SL-SR/subwoofer.

Personally I've got a bit attached to the CP65 its like departing with close friend its been wonderful using it over the months, I'm not selling it, I'm keeping it, its just hard to come to terms to removing it.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2012, 04:56 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Wired up the D lead for 6channel input.

Testing 1KHz sine wave all-channels

Testing 100Hz sine wave all-channels

Next is to start disconnecting the CP65 and C45.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2012, 22:03 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Well updating the Risk here the Risk was spot on my friend did the hole better than he thought I guess it was like, if the shoe fits wear it. the pipe fitted smoothly night tight firm fit.

It took a few holes (kinder like when I did the hole for the port hole). I didn't take a picture of the mess that part was Risky, sweeping up and bagging it and giving it a vac over and mopping the floor over a few times.

I have to buy some wider cable trucking to fit all the cables in, so I'll get that week after this week come up its worth the Risk waiting. Only the Risk is high Sooty can easily get up onto the fridge and start chewing on the cables so Risk is extremely high!

I room to fit a VGA RGB computer lead though the pipe and HDMI and who knows maybe audio cables and speaker cable?

Well done to my close friend it was smashingly good job 100%. Only other thing to fit is the picture frame to wall over the port hole and my friend will pop over midweek as I need a cordless drill and the one I have the battery has packed up on it.

I have a little liquid nails leftover that I can pump around the gaps and wipe it off and let it dry hard as nails!

So its slowly getting there no rush it will come along.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2012, 20:43 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I started on this around 9:00am today.

I had no intention of wiring up the Dolby CP500 today but, umm the Kenwood KRF-X9050D started to act up badly with the (relay issue) that switches on and off between mode settings and was cancelling out the left/right front that's used for sidewall surrounds. I have to hit the side of the case to give it a little jolt, so the dry joint makes an electrical contact with PCB.

I had to start removing gear so I can get to it and remove the lid.

I had to first re-solder the new dry joint that has cropped up months ago as the display keeps going off and needs a little tapping on the front.

The red circle is where I had to re-solder the dry-joint.

No way am I stripping this all down! It would take me a whole day a whole 8 or more hours as this would be a new issue to fix so after probing the relays with plastic pen to see which one is cursing the minor issue? I then decided to stick a little rubber sticky pad between two relays and tapped on the casing, wobbled it about to see if it would shut down.

It was also cancelling the centre front that I can now reconnect for use for overhead matrix (or its only this AVR is only being used as 4-zone amp until I get all-new amps installed). The wiring for the extra channels is done though the second Dolby CP500 more on that later.

To make sure the sound was outputting I used an FM noise and switched though the audio mode stereo to make sure the front amp was working then centre amp with pro-logic to make sure the centre amp was working!! sigh

Now I've started to remove CP65 and CP45.

I'll have other use for the CP65 and the x2 CP45 I have later...

I'm just getting one more last look and thinking over what to do before fitting the x2 CP500.

More pictures later on as I've been tidying up the cables at the back and thou its not all finalized with 3rd or possibly a 4th rack this is about all I can do for the time being.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2012, 06:47 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

From this set-up procedure I can format program one of the non-sync modes for Dolby Pro-Logic with no NR (noise reduction).

http://www.rsem.com/pdf_manuals/Dolby/P ... Decode.pdf

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2012, 11:29 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

So far the alignment for LCR-LS-RS are EQ with small room "X-curve" 85dbc but still need some adjustments across the LCR bass-mid.

The top CP500 is the main processor currently set-up with format 11 External 6 channel input and one non-sync programmed to Dolby pro-logic.

The bottom CP500 is wired for EX on format 60 non-sync1 set pro-logic no NR / format 61 non-sync2 set as for regular surround.

Listening to vintage STAR TREK DVD-RW (mono) as well a few Dolby Stereo short clips of The Abyss Top Gun and Backdraft on the same DVD-RW.

so far so good the smoothness of the pans are getting tighter with sides to centre back though the 1/3 EQ might take a few days to getting even tighter as its a little toppy but that's not a problum to attenuate the LCR HF and trim the surrounds to the same near response so pans are seamless or appear transparent.

I'll have to buy another A/D 6channel card for the bottom CP500 if I want to run 8channel bluray DolbyTrueHD or dtshdma on the few titles I have and the few dts-ES 6.1 discrete

5.1 seems to be more of a common format with the thousands of titles already available including mono which is also good on some titles I have.

I still have to get the fans set-up because the inside feels like an oven. :mrgreen:

I have to put it though a digital soundtrack to see what needs to be adjusted.

Each format can be programmed with custom fader setting but at present each are set at "7". The bottom CP500 will stay set at "7" only the top one needs to be adjusted if the film or music is too loud.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2012, 16:32 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Placed a little extra foam wedge tiles around the port window I need to get another can of adhesive spray and cut the tiles to fit so they are as tightly positioned surround speakers and the port.

I might paint the inside of the port hole black and around the inside of where the picture is so that its not as noticeable with cream coloured wall behind it.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2012, 06:11 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

A few films been watching.

CopyCat (1995) Dolby Digital 5.1
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee18 ... yCP500.mp4

STAR TREK II Laserdisc PCM playing in format U1 User 1 Dolby pro-logic
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee18 ... -Logic.mp4

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2012, 21:12 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Current EQ settings for LCR fronts

Second CP500 images below being used as Dolby-EX EQ settings for left and right surround

The EQ for the centre back surround-EX is to trim for all-channels while independent EQ was handled from the (outboard 1/3 EQ Behringer GEQ3102 for Dolby/dts 7.1 and 6.1 dts-ES) I have to switch to a diffident on another outboard EQ that is only used as switcher to isolate the EX channel.

The Technics EQ is set at flat as its only used as a switcher. If I had the Sony SDDS up and running then they'll be no need for all the rest of the gear.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2012, 13:09 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I've re-formatted non-sync 2 by applying Dolby SR with Pro-Logic that works with vintage STAR TREK on DVD-RW that has hiss as its recoded from linear-mono VHS I was sceptical if the CP500 would allow it. The set-up proceeder is rather easy to follow in the "A Create a Non-Sync Pro Logic".

http://www.rsem.com/pdf_manuals/Dolby/P ... Decode.pdf

Thou low frequency is limited due to the off-air recoding to mostly bass-mid overall mix DME is nicely balanced for mono TV show of the late 60's.

I've also tried A-type that seems to work fine.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2012, 00:05 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I've been dabbling into more of the features on the Dolby CP500 and there's a lot more...

Subwoofer low pass filters and currently using 50Hz.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Formatting for 70mm more on the format codes for 70mm. I was unaware it has format 40 "70mm 6-Track (Todd-AO)" http://www.in70mm.com/newsletter/2000/6 ... format.htm

___________________________________________________________________________________

Subwoofer gain can be switched as 0db and +10db presently in +10db gain setting.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Subwoofer LCR enable or disable settings presently in emable setting.

______________________________________________________________________________________

There are several on-board tones pink noise shaped / pink noise / spot frequencies / Dolby Tone / I haven't taken pictures of them all but there's plenty for setting the CP500 up.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Decoder modes. I can switch or format I guess one of the User program modes without going into the other sub menus. I tried mono that sums the LCR together as one mono signal or go back to the current present setting Dolby Pro-logic for one of the non-sync modes.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I have to read this up in the manual to fully understand its function so I'm not touching the settings on this.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Noise Reduction settings NR which is current present setting

Dolby SR in pro-logic made the sub bass thunder.

A-type is fairly close to the no NR in terms of the frequency response. The SR adds steeper low end a mildly higher boast on the upper high end.

NR noise reduction

________________________________________________________________________________________

Listening a short clip from STAR TREK the motion picture on format User1 Dolby Pro-Logic

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1/9) Movie CLIP - Kirk Takes Over (1979) HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNoHdt36C7o

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2012, 20:04 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Finally after 5 or 6 months the Sony SDDS is wired in. It only took me, oh, around 9 hours yesterday to wire up D-25 lead for the AUX input and I couldn't find the other one that I cut in half months ago? Either I have missed placed it in odd place or Soott has picked it and hidden it as he likes to play. So I had second lead that I had to cut back the other plastic to find the colour coded wires and solder RCA phone plugs to the end so it can be plugged into the back of the Yamaha AVR.

The camera has been under the flash weather lately as flash seems to be not working even when I try (forced or slow-sync) I did manage to trick the camera with (red eye) mode the rest are dark and noisy.

The Dell pc arrived late of last week.

I successfully loaded up SDDS D3000 remote to the pc. When testing with the Serial USB lead didn't work? I contacted Sony SDDS tech though email and Les, as been very helpful at giving advice with simplest answers. :thumbup:

As you can see the Dell is on the floor with CRT monitor being used as the Sony Bravia won't connect soundly with Dell? I get half the image and the colour is all wrong so I used one of two back-up CRT monitors, the smaller one didn't work? And the large one is too much to huff-and-puff around with and its taking up my door space!

I only have short VGA lead on the back and shorter RS232 lead between the Dell and Sony SDDS.

I'll get a cheaper smaller flat screen monitor as I'd like to ether have LCD fitted into the rack with Dell placed in the kitchen with longer Null Modem lead or maybe have longer VGA lead and set up smaller monitor that works with the Dell or then again I can buy a cheap Windows XP laptop, :think: I think that would be best.

I almost buggered up the wiring when soldering the up the output leads as most of the gear has XLR input/outputs and the surround amp Kenwood has RCA phone and until I buy new amps and have all the pro gear XLR, I'd have to work with what I have at present time.

The inputs on the display are from "Prometheus" (2012)

Left is, (Left Front)
Left-Centre is, (Rear Left Surround)
Centre is, (Centre Front)
Right-Centre is, (Rear Right Surround)
Right is, (Right Front)
SW is (LFE.1)

I still have to get the other AUX mode up and running to connect the Dolby CP500 back up also my other two non-sync inputs one for pc Youtube listening is on the CP500 User-2 and 61 non-sync2 also User1 for Dolby pro-logic and A and SR use. Oh, the joy of re-wiring this is going to be fun being at the back of the rack. :|

Wiring the second CP500 in for Dolby-EX with matrix overhead surround is going to be small challenge as it has to be wired in specific way so it can allow me to use two modes one for, EX surround and the other for normal sidewall surrounds, only.

The THX will be wired up same as the wiring for Sony so all the monitor inputs would be

SL (surround left)
Left (Left front)
Le (Left rear surround)
C (centre front)
Re (right Rear surround)
R (right front)
SW (LFE.1 sub bass extension)
Mix (monitors all)

The EQ on the Sony is bet easier than Dolby. I can open all EQ bands or shuffle though them, without having to save them as is every time. I can send the processors own pink noise out to all channels at the same time where's on the CP500 I can only do one channel at a time.

I've done a quick EQ given ware the CRT monitor is and listening at the back of the room while looking at the Sony Bravia with TrueRTA running and shaping the response to "X curve" with few extra filters added in on the DCX2496 to compensate for troublesome bands across the LCR.

I've only just realized as and when I ever get it finished is the five-screen matrix. I could use it with visual on LED display on the SDDS when in one of the AUX modes with 5.1 mixes or 4.0? I'm thinking of using the Dolby CP45 for creating the two extra channels (inner-left channel 2 and inner-right channel 4).

But now I've come stuck. As I won't be able to use this function with 7.1 mixes not unless I wire the outputs from the processor to the extra CP45. I was going to go with x2 Yamaha DSR70pro the pair would take up less rack space once the rack is fitted with rack tray, the function will be same, expect for extra inputs so I might as well go with CP45.

I'll see how it goes over the weeks?

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2012, 21:07 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I came across a pc fan that bought a few years ago but haven't used until now it has use once I buy some plastic spacers to screw to fan and blu tack it down onto the lower cat card just enough to blow some cool air around inside at lower speed setting as the single fan on the Sony sounds like a leaf-blower waking, one up in the morning. So I'll find some area on board to attach it.

There is small hole leading though to the back of the processor that's where I'll feed a lead though but I'm going to need another DC regulator.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 05:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

So when it's all ready are you going to premier with Last Action Hero? :mrgreen: Since it was the first in theater. So does the PC app then split info from Left and Right into two new Center Left/Center Right channels? The other channels would seem to be the same as DD 5.1 and DTS.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 14:32 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

tomtastic wrote:
So when it's all ready are you going to premier with Last Action Hero? :mrgreen: Since it was the first in theater. So does the PC app then split info from Left and Right into two new Center Left/Center Right channels? The other channels would seem to be the same as DD 5.1 and DTS.

I'm not sure it would do that. Maybe only with digital SDDS signal though the digital film reader.

chances are I might have to add on my own matrix decoders and wire them in fashion where I have to press two buttons on each matrix decoder to allow for matrix 5 screen likeness effect that takes "the phantom signal" from (left and centre) and (centre and right) and sends the two new halves to (inner-left and inner-right).

I'd have to have look at the Present input settings on the (pc controller) that's when I enable the pc to connect with the Sony.

As for Last Action Hero it didn't have much dialouge panning happening maybe the odd few now and that that from memory I think were half pans? The scene where Slater picks up the kid, Danny and they walk back home with huge moon light sky. Slaters voice is panned with half pan right.

I'd like to get the other AUX lead made up today and I should be doing the diy on left front corner of the room with stud wall its in Room build.viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1814&start=40

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 19:48 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Sigh, wired up the other AUX input and all AUX 1 and AUX 2 are now working. Fining the colour code wires on the other D-25 lead was slightly different and I had to fine the pin number then randomly go though all the 25 wires to locate the (cold - ground and hot +)

AUX 1 is wired up to Yamaha AVR (1.0.1 / 2.0.1 / 3.0.1 / 4.0.1 / 5.0.1 / 6.0.1 / 7.0.1)
The reason for .0.1 is that some films on DVD I have noticed are (4.0 or 5.0) so that's why I did that to confuse you? :mrgreen:

AUX 2 is wired presently up the Dolby CP500 and partly only non-sync inputs. The 6 channel input isn't as I'd need to buy a RCA Y lead and connect that up to the Yamaha 8 channel outputs then I'd have spare outputs to feed all processors Dolby and Sony.

Well there's plenty of cheap Y x1 male to x2 female on eBay.

I think to smarten up the back tidily would be with 16 channel XLR male to female patch-bay. That way I can route outputs easily and then tidy up the cables in whole bunch rather than having cables dangling around.

The patch-bay would be fitted at the back of the rack to keep it, out of sight.

Last edited by laserbite34 on 18 Dec 2012, 16:38, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 22:12 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

One thing that I've noticed with Sony D3000 is its not as noisy a the CP500 I'm knocking it I just noticed when the fader is turned right on CP500 I hear slight mild hiss. On the Sony D3000 I've noticed almost none.

Fader, fades the level display on the Sony D3000 while the CP500 display level on LCD remains the same.

The EQ control. There is TEST generator at the top of page. All EQ bands can be switched-on at the same time or one-at-time. There is PREV and NEXT that switches though each of the 8 channels to the next EQ band to be adjusted. CHANNEL LEVEL also lowers or raises the channel of each of the 8 channels.

A little check box at the bottom can switch the EQ to OFF or back to 0db.

Sony SDDS DFP-D3000 is (THX approved) Including Dolby CP500 and CP65 the THX D1138 hardly ever shows up on eBay expect for the power supply modules.

http://blogcafe.dreamwiz.com/cafefile/c ... ipList.pdf

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 02:59 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I'm conduction an unusual test tonight with Dolby SRA5 and regrading a common small hiss problem with the Behringer DCX2496 HF outputs.

What I've done while chatting with friend down on New Zealand about speakers and amps and so on, the hiss subject came up.

The hiss on the DCX2496 is rather loud at certain level many -db below in its internal outputs.

So out of the blue I was thinking Dolby NR? I was sceptical if even if it would work? So I got stright into it found power lead, powered the SRA5 up and then looked around for some spare RCA phone cable leads for the input/output audio connections.

Well does it work or doesn't it?

Yes is the answer it tool a few trial and errors to connect onto the correct terminal inputs/outputs and selecting Dolby CP200 mode I've got an audio output, I muted the audio of STAR TREK mono TV show, and turned up the gain on DCX2496 to +15db and listened no hiss, now bypassed from (SR out Green LED) to (SR OF RED LED) and HISSS!

Thou it was never intended for this set-up I'm not going to knock it. How ionic, using JBL control 12SR with Dolby SR. :lol: sound reinforcement "Dolby noise reduction the silent performer in quality sound"

Dolby Laboratories TV Ad 1981
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBC_WXBR4WY

Well I'm only using centre channel at the moment and there are only two channels on the Dolby SRA5 and I need at least x2 to use across the LCR HF outputs for the HF horns.

Since this is one test I'll undone it later on and maybe wire the Dolby SRA5 in if I can find some room with one of the few rack spaces left maybe below the second Dolby CP500 and wire SR in for non-sync on the Sony SDDS Select 2 mode.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012, 04:24 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I've been trying to think how to wire the second CP500 in and use EX surround with second CP500 all wired to the Sony D3000? And this is how I'll wire it. There are two D-25 pin lead connectors on the back for each AUX 1 and AUX 2 inputs with single system output.

I was thinking at first but knew it would be troublesome and that was wire the second CP500 for EX surround on the outputs of the Sony D3000 and I knew it would work, but it would be a real problem in the long run. So after thinking and with a few other worries on my mind over the past 7 days, I came up with the idea laying down on the bed and this, is the best an easiest solution I can come up with.

Of course I'd have to manually switch ON any EX surround mode or leave it as stereo left and right side-wall. The EX surrounds thou the single will be mono matrix sent to Sony AUX 2 Le Re inputs, seems like waste? I need only to send one wire output from centre channel front from the CP500 output, and use the matrix surround output for an overhead surround but there would be snag in running it in that way.

So I'd have to use single output send and wire up one Le or Re and loop a two small short wires over to the other Le/Le input so the centre phantom will be sent equally to both inputs to outputs on and use the 1/3 EQ without using any EQ on the CP500 as all the EQ will be done though Sony from now on.

I'd have to wire the usual overhead matrix surround to Kenwood that is serving as 5 zone surround but I'd need some 1/3 EQ for the overhead where before I was only using 1/2 EQ on the CP500 surround channel output. What I do to get around this is use the Behringer GEQ3102 1/3 EQ wire up one channel and I'd have a bit more EQ control.

And that's it. I'd do a diagram as I only solved out the overhead EQ surround while typing out the post.

Page 17 of 22 [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next