It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 01:52

Page 18 of 22 [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Home Theater equipment list
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2012, 05:11 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Its cool great looking.

Last edited by laserbite34 on 26 Jun 2013, 13:18, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2012, 05:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I wonder if those passive chillers that fit on top of IC's to cool them would work for your SDDS unit? The 35mm theater I worked at had 8 SDDS units and all had board replacements at some point due to heat build up. The DTS CD-ROM drives died easily too. Dolby's CP-65's and DA-20's and SA-10's were bulletproof. We had massive failure of the SDDS reader LED's too, but the replacements worked great.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2012, 07:20 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

disclord wrote:
I wonder if those passive chillers that fit on top of IC's to cool them would work for your SDDS unit? The 35mm theater I worked at had 8 SDDS units and all had board replacements at some point due to heat build up. The DTS CD-ROM drives died easily too. Dolby's CP-65's and DA-20's and SA-10's were bulletproof. We had massive failure of the SDDS reader LED's too, but the replacements worked great.

I have no knowledge of SDDS as I've only worked around UCI (CP55 with SRA5) and Warner (CP500 with a few dts in booth) I've only heard that it had some troubles. Well glad replacement parts sorted it out.

I think the oldest CP I have is the 55 and it powered and had sound going though it when tested last year. So bulletproof indeed built to last.

Heat build-up in
CP55 not sure bad a little around EQ cards and power supply the A card stays cool
CP65 same as above

CP500 heat build-up around the A/SR card front panel when folding it down where leaf-blower noisy fans are, are disconnected and fan :shock: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW THAT WAS SOME THUNDER JUST NOW! 6:10am don't usually have thunder in December, Most strange?

I should had the Spectrum Lab to recoded that it was HUGE!!!!!! I felt it in the living room.

Power supply gets a bit on the hot side, although the second CP500 I have is bit cooler on the power supply side, same heat build-up in the usual places.

Sony DFP-D3000 gets hot around near the power supply the front panel where the LCD LED are I can feel heat build-up (but lesser now that I have removed the top panel lid).

When opening the door panel heat is along the thin top metal plate just above. Overall now its a bit cooler and no need to run that leaf-blower fan.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2012, 18:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good evening laserbite34,

It's amazing just how much effort that you have put into your system.

I think it's safe and respectful to write that Very few have worked as hard as you have, along with all the other things that you go through on a daily basis ''to a more or lesser degree.''

Well done and I am sure that all of the tinkering that you have been doing has given yourself a great deal of knowledge of how to calibrate, setup and fine tune.

Respectful Regards

:wave: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2012, 21:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

agree, if i hook up a 5.1 home theatre again i'll have to fly laserbite over to help me do a setup :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2012, 00:34 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

benmbe wrote:
Good evening laserbite34,

It's amazing just how much effort that you have put into your system.

I think it's safe and respectful to write that Very few have worked as hard as you have, along with all the other things that you go through on a daily basis ''to a more or lesser degree.''

Well done and I am sure that all of the tinkering that you have been doing has given yourself a great deal of knowledge of how to calibrate, setup and fine tune.

Respectful Regards

:wave: :thumbup:

Well with a little help from Sony SDDS uk via emails each day often 5 emails within an hour. I had to get the computer to hand-shake with Sony but once the right lead was bought all worked fine.

I'm waiting for secret password so I can open a feature on the Sony that has rarely been used, and he's on holiday at present and rightful so as he helped out tremendously. :thumbup:

wiring is straight forward. It's not that daunting only it takes a while. I'm still only doing this on tiny titchy low budget. I need to get the cabling all re-wired so and buy a proper power sockets to fit inside the racks but finding the cheapest price with most sockets very few around on eBay.

i should remove the Techincs EQ since its now disconnected but I have Marantz 1030 that is for the Puck transducers and the amp is doing a balancing act, if I remove the EQ it won't be able to sit on the Sony blurau player as the player is narrow in depth. Plus the Puck is off at the moment until the Y cables arrive and I get them wired back and finish off wiring the THX up.

Cable ducting I skipped on a few weeks back as the prices at B&Q was too pricey I might try Wilkinson's next week the moment I get the cables in conduct then I can move on to next phase.

Your set-up is cleaner and tidier and simple as I can gather, you might go a little spare after 20 mins.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2012, 00:38 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

rein-o wrote:
agree, if i hook up a 5.1 home theatre again i'll have to fly laserbite over to help me do a setup :mrgreen:

Plenty of guys over where you are that are more than capable. :mrgreen: Its just finding someone who will do it for free? or put out his/her time for you. I'd put my time out freely. I see no point in someone who is on low budget and would like a little help to getting in finished in certain time frame. Then again if you do it yourself and depending on how fast you work at, or you can take your time. But its quicker with some help. :)

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2012, 08:04 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Now detecting heat on the top of the Samson rack that is raising though the steel top and maybe to the Phillips bluray player. I might as well call the Sony the heat buster or radiator. :lol: Well the sooner Get the gear off the top of the racks and fitted in the racks on rack trays and the amps fitted in the kitchen in third a rack.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2012, 17:53 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Its marvellous looking great.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 16:25 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Its coming along great.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 02:05 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Just seeing what one Samson SRK21 looks like with some Dolby CP racked up. The CP55 can't be racked as the hinges are broken and needs some new ones.

Also ordered some multi-stand 4 core cable yesterday so should be here around next week?

I'd need some new 100metre 2 core flex cable for re-wiring the speakers once I have cable I can start fitting the amps into the rack and reverse the kitchen door around so it would allow for a forth 4th rack at some later time.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 03:07 
So I just picked up a new TV for watching laserdiscs. It's the Sony KV-34XBR910 with the super fine pitch and 10-bit 3D comb filter. It came with the matching stand and I plan sitting it on a platform with some caster wheels to create a mobile TV cart that I could wheel around for when I want to watch LDs.

I still have some calibration and tinkering to do, but right now I can honestly say it makes LDs look better than I ever thought they could. I originally ran the composite video signal from the player straight into the TV and was impressed with the results. I did notice some aliasing but the black level, color range and overall picture quality was amazing. Later I found out how to enable the Cinemotion feature with 3:2 pulldown and it took it to a whole new level. Now there's virtually no excessive noise, smooth lines and a beautiful near DVD quality picture.

I'll post some pics soon.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 10:15 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Nice acquisition Matt. Please post some pics when you can. Wish we'd got some of the last gasp top end crts in the UK. My Panasonic 32" PD30 Quintrix is pretty good - sharp vibrant lifelike colour but has 100hz processing so looks a tad digital but is mild to several 100hz models I've seen.

Oh and thanks again for the Tomorrow Never Dies disc - most excellent :)

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 11:55 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Yeah it looks great well done.

Last edited by laserbite34 on 26 Jun 2013, 13:19, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2013, 02:16 
ucfmatt wrote:
So I just picked up a new TV for watching laserdiscs. It's the Sony KV-34XBR910 with the super fine pitch and 10-bit 3D comb filter. It came with the matching stand and I plan sitting it on a platform with some caster wheels to create a mobile TV cart that I could wheel around for when I want to watch LDs.

I still have some calibration and tinkering to do, but right now I can honestly say it makes LDs look better than I ever thought they could. I originally ran the composite video signal from the player straight into the TV and was impressed with the results. I did notice some aliasing but the black level, color range and overall picture quality was amazing. Later I found out how to enable the Cinemotion feature with 3:2 pulldown and it took it to a whole new level. Now there's virtually no excessive noise, smooth lines and a beautiful near DVD quality picture.

I'll post some pics soon.

Few quick cell phone pics from the beginning of Addams Family, The (1991) [LV 32689-WS]. It's a CLV disc so I had to try and grab shots from scenes without much motion. The pic of the house is during a rainstorm. Really loving this TV. I can snap pics from a certain disc/scene if I have it or maybe try a few still grabs from a CAV disc.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2013, 04:34 
Few more pics from CAV titles. I've given up on trying to get a good picture but these give a general idea.

Psycho (1960) [11-003] & Interview with the Vampire (1994) [13176]
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Akira: Special Edition #151 (1988) [CC1294L]
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Adventures of Robin Hood, The: Special 50th Anniversary Edition #66 (1938) [CC1166L]
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Game, The: Special Edition #365 (1997) [CC1520L]
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Robocop: Special Edition #198 (1987) (Uncut) [CC1350L]
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Pulp Fiction: Special Edition #271 (1994) [CC1423L]
[Reveal] Spoiler:

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2013, 06:07 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

ucfmatt

You noticed the green around the white light on Interview With Vampire? I know its not on the transfer and that the camera is creating that artefact which I know is annoying. How many settings does you're camera have for you to try out?

I have the same film but only Region 2 DVD and I have The Game on R2 DVD Psycho on R2 DVD Pulp Fiction on R2 DVD and Robocop on R2 DVD.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2013, 14:53 
laserbite34 wrote:
ucfmatt

You noticed the green around the white light on Interview With Vampire? I know its not on the transfer and that the camera is creating that artefact which I know is annoying. How many settings does you're camera have for you to try out?

I have the same film but only Region 2 DVD and I have The Game on R2 DVD Psycho on R2 DVD Pulp Fiction on R2 DVD and Robocop on R2 DVD.

Yeah it's definitely the camera. I had to turn my TV brightness and contrast way down just to get these pictures but they still make any white or brighter areas appear to have massive bloom which isn't how it actually looks at all.

I was using my phone for these pictures but it actually has a really decent 13 megapixel camera with a decent amount of settings. If anyone has any advice for capturing pictures of TVs I'd be grateful, even things like optimal light level in the room, etc.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 08:36 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

ucfmatt wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:
ucfmatt

Yeah it's definitely the camera. I had to turn my TV brightness and contrast way down just to get these pictures but they still make any white or brighter areas appear to have massive bloom which isn't how it actually looks at all.

I was using my phone for these pictures but it actually has a really decent 13 megapixel camera with a decent amount of settings. If anyone has any advice for capturing pictures of TVs I'd be grateful, even things like optimal light level in the room, etc.

Well even with some film transfers since its film to video often end up with same dire colour tone with green all around the whites if the image happens to have blue and white, white lights is common and its damn annoying to see it on T2 that is dire mess transfer that hasn't improved even when I phoned the UK production company that did the UK T2 bluray and all I got over the phone was BS that they sent a person from the UK to find the best film, elements BS! Same as T2 early letterbox NTSC and PAL and SE T2 THX Laserdisc and DVD and Bluray. I've seen better transfers on other films that look like film on some Laserdisc and DVD.

All you can do is yes turn contrast down and brightness to compensate. If you took a picture of blue light with coloured gel so that's white light with coloured blue gel, the camera will cast green around the outsides the white. The eye won't see it that way, it will see a small hint of white behind the blue gel and that is what film capture or maybe a decent SLR digital camera?

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 15:40 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

That is outstanding great looking.

Last edited by laserbite34 on 26 Jun 2013, 13:19, edited 2 times in total.

Page 18 of 22 [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next