It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:19

Page 4 of 4 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Official Subwoofer thread
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 22:10 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Another SW 303 owner checking in. elieb how do you like the quality of the kenwood?

I'm not impressed in the least bit, but I payed 30 bucks so I'm ok with it.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 03:58 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Recently got a vintage McIntosh HT-2 THX sub from the 90s. Dual 12 inch behemoth large enough to double as a coffee table. As this is a passive sub, I plan use a dedicated pro amp (Peavey/QSC) to handle the max 600 watts it can take.

Mac quality from Binghamton:

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 04:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Cool find.

Hope you aren't my neighbor :crazy:

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 06:15 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Indeed, it will get loud :twisted: Would have loved to get the rest of the Mac stuff from the estate sale that had the sub, there was a preamp and 6 channel amp from the same era as the HT-2, but the pre was history when I got there and the amp was too pricey. First time I found McIntosh stuff "in the wild", quite neat, and the seller threw in my choice of cables for the sub so I chose the most expensive looking Audioquest banana terminated wires there and was given a pair.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2020, 06:59 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I finished construction of my DIY Dayton Ultimax tonight (save for the grille). It's in ~12 cuft, slot ported, tuned to ~17.5hz. Power is from a Behringer Eurocom AX6220 which, realistically, should put out somewhere around 1500w bridged with the driver's 4ohm load. WinISD models show it hitting 115-117db at the listening position with anechoic extension to ~16.5hz... so possibly ~14-15hz in-room. A quick function test yielded EXTREMELY positive results with a few test scenes (Avengers: Endgame final battle in Atmos on UHD, Independence Day first attack in AC3 on LD) with the HPF set to 20hz (as low as I could go via the Amp DSP's onboard controls) and levels rough-matched by ear. I'll hopefully get it slid into place start to dial everything in with the Behringer PEQ, REW, and Dayton UMM-6 calibration mic sometime tomorrow.

It's not much to look at as-is, but once it's slid into its dormer (front flush with walls on each side and media shelf / projector hush box above) and its grille is contructed/attached, it will basically disappear:

This will be its final location with my old DIY Ascendance Avalanche in ~6 cuft tuned to ~18hz powered by a BASH 300w plate amp still in place:

Page 4 of 4 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4