It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:24

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: "THE PUCK" Dayton feel the seats vibrate at a small cost
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2013, 22:25 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Dayton "The Puck" is a small sub bass shaker at small cost that provides enough starter low-end vibration for the sofa or cinema seating. Prices on ebay US $13.09 / UK £8.54 http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... rid=229466

The ones above are new pair with a total now of x5 and further x1 more is reqiuired for the seat-buckets.

I have done some trail and error tests with filling the seat-bucket with expandable foam :lol: that didn't quite go to plan and was later easy to remove all the foam.

One way to do is to cut MDF to size of the seat-bucket frame but it would only get in the way of the spring-mechanism and would have to be cut to work its way around all that. With MDF and The Puck mounted though a 70mm hole I would imagine the vibrates would radiate outwards and the feel might be a bit different to the present set-up?

Other way is fast and effective and its tiring The Puck up to seat springs and so far after a long and heavy weighted low-end film, mix I might find it hard to sit down as it can lead to a$$ tingling of certain low frequencies. :lol: well at least it works. :thumbup:

Sooty, moved out of the way until I finished installing which only takes about 10mins or less.

I used some of the foam from the packing box as shown to reduced any unusual vibrating rattling noises.

The other Puck, I might do a test later on with x2 per seat to see if I can notice an increase in vibration. What I'll do to remember is play a scene for a few seconds and then loop that moment over and over though my head from what I felt.

The cup-holder is also good for, wireless mouses.

The top EQ Technics SH-8055 is used to filter off some directional mid-to-highs that can be heard with full-band pink-noise. I could fit in one of spare Dolby CP processors that has subwoofer filter but I'm not that disparate and I'll wait until I get small stand-alone electronic crossover.

The top amplifier is Marantz 1030 which happily powers The Puck's. an audio mixer 6 channel Realistic has all the LCR feeding though a few inputs and the faders set accordingly. The Master fader is also set accordingly, (never set at silly high level where it would damage The Puck's) and I have had The Puck's for little over a year now.

Spectrum Lab though the THX monitor shows a rock'n amount of low-end. That shuddered the seat and other seats and some of the vibration from the other seats would be passing into the seat next to it. :)

Believe it not I have played opening from Memory at 1.25 to the point where they eject from the SR-71, 8.50. The opening sales the films soundtrack and there's still plenty more of to come with lows approaching near to 20Hz.

With a portion of low end from the sub bass extension at the front of the room set in place and a balance of level adjusted for the seats to give the illusion the sub at the front is doing some serious rocking of the rocker seats and with less power. "Less is more".

Switching in Dolby SR on the CP500 "holy sh!t" :o :shock: Its not far off from "the brown note" and reaching for the toilet paper. :lol: I'll leave it in the "No NR" SR is risky.

Other bass shakers can be found with some prices just under £100.00 and going upwards into the hundreds $ $. since my budget is on tight-a$$ and The Puck, delvers at an entry starting low price that won't hurt your pocket but it might leave your a$$ buzzing for days. :lol:

Clark Synthesis
http://clarksynthesis.com/technical-inf ... ansducers/

Buttkicker
http://www.thebuttkicker.com/

Dayton The Puck
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=300-388

Dayton The Puck
http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/tt ... haker.html

http://reviews.parts-express.com/2444-e ... eviews.htm

Last edited by laserbite34 on 22 Jun 2013, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: "THE PUCK" Dayton feel the seats vibrate at a small cost
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2013, 23:02 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Checking with Behringer ECM8000 microphone and one of three analysers I have.

TrueRTA is a quick and fast look.

Sooty, is not bothered.

This type of testing might take some trail and error to perfect it over the whole system?

I'll have to see if can get a visual frequency graph recoding as the internal workings of the device would be a little different and I have to see what type of trade-off's I have.

Side B 26.31 when the SR-71 I can feel vibration in my ears when both arms are placed on the armrests. WOW! :o :shock:

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 00:43 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Placing ECM8000 on the front and centre seat Seat A-2.

The engines of the SR-71 blackbird aircraft

Engines power up! With deep shudder slam kick.

The Dolby Stereo SR on this is amazing.

This is roughly what the level is with ECM8000 placed close to seat pressing down into the seat when the engines power up. The LCR are muted and the gain level on the preamp is set rather low, the surrounds are still playing but are hardly being picked up on the microphone due to it being so close to seat and the sound/vibration being picked up from, The Puck.

The SR-71 takes to the skies with front light blear underneath the front and the engines flumes at the aft, my ears I feel vibration during the scene WOW.

When muting, The Puck's and looking at the level from the LCR being picked up and then muting LCR and un-muting, The Puck and fitting the levels in where the levels where peaking at with front LCR, by using the fader slider on the mixer, its that simple.

I'll try wideband pink-noise later on generated from a dts test demo disc as well as using pink-noise generator on the Sony processor to see where it level of frequency stands on the RTA.

I could do with second Behringer FBQ 2496, for, The Puck's, or do I go with multiples :think: I think not up goes the cost. If all are receiving the same signal then they should all be the same so only one FBQ2496 should only be needed.

A second MDX4600 for the subs and The Puck's I could experiment with audio limiting or compressing to maximize level on softer moments and decrease some of the higher peak moments from destroying the devices.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 01:15 
Hey mate! Abbie has been asking about Sooty, how is he doing these days? Out of sympathy Abbie decided to get a weepy eye :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 01:36 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

ldservice wrote:
Hey mate! Abbie has been asking about Sooty, how is he doing these days? Out of sympathy Abbie decided to get a weepy eye :cry: :cry:

:lol: Is she getting horny in heat and wants partner cat to give her a back rub. :lol:

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 02:13 
laserbite34 wrote:
ldservice wrote:

:lol: Is she getting horny in heat and wants partner cat to give her a back rub. :lol:

Well,,,, she's "fixed" so no heat (thank goodness, that's a noisey affair) but she'd probably like a back rub :thumbup:
She's just a little fixated on Sooty, find him quite handsome :D

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 03:45 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

ldservice wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:
ldservice wrote:

Well,,,, she's "fixed" so no heat (thank goodness, that's a noisey affair) but she'd probably like a back rub :thumbup:
She's just a little fixated on Sooty, find him quite handsome :D

I have to say Sooty, hasn't once looked at Abbie, he hardly ever looks at the monitor, he has life and we poor humans don't have life. :lol:

All Sooty, wants to know is when its feeding time.

I have to say I have wasted 5 hours while Sooty, has been happily catnapping underneath my seat. :)

Is Abbie, stalking Sooty? :lol:

I just asked Sooty. Hey Sooty, you have stalker. :lol:

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]