It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:14

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Want to know more about a receiver...
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 04:18 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I spotted this Optimus branded receiver on Craigslist, and it intrigued me for two reasons. One, it actually has a labeled set of LD inputs on the back, the first receiver I've ever seen with such a feature. Second...the font used on the front and back (aside from the Optimus logo) looks very Pioneer-ish.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/d/optimus-stav-3170-receiver/6615780338.html

I guess my question is, is this some kind of rebadged Pioneer unit? I can't find much info about this Optimus version but if it's a Pioneer I could find more...

Post subject: Re: Want to know more about a receiver...
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 06:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It does appear to be a Pioneer as it has a set of "Control In & Out" jacks that was ubiquitous on Pioneer equipment for Pioneer SR Control. And yes, I do recall Pioneer supplying the chassis for Optimus (Radio Shack) receivers for a good part of what I think were mostly the early 90's. It would be difficult to find any information on these Pioneer clones as Radio Shack is gone but regardless I have never seen good archive material on Radio Shack equipment in general (probably because they don't really make their own stuff and had too many third party vendors making it quite difficult to keep track of everything).

Anyway, finding an AV Receiver in the mid 80's and throughout the 90's w/ LD or VDP input labels was actually very common (especially on Pioneer equipment since they wanted to push the LD format). There is nothing special about these inputs as they are just your standard AV connections; just labeled differently.

Anyway, if you were thinking of purchasing this receiver, I would probably tell you to skip it. This is a Dolby Surround Receiver (pre-dates Dolby Pro-Logic) so it obviously can't do any discrete 5.1 surround and it also lacks a center channel option.

Post subject: Re: Want to know more about a receiver...
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 16:51 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks for the info! I'll have to look for a different receiver then.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]