It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:40

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bob Carver is Out of Retirement
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 07:52 
In case any of you people missed the announcement - Bob is coming out of retirement and going back to producing vac tube amps. Oh, and speakers. BIG Speakers. I came across a thread on another forum which has some pix that I found amusing.

Picture this: You are a revered electronics engineer that has produced some of the arguably best and most influential audio equipment of your time and you are prototyping some flagship speakers that will probably retail for around $8K US. You have a room full of high end amplifiers strewn about (that you designed and built and sell to audiophiles).

Now, what kind of audio cable do you hook this system up with, and how much does it cost? Check out how Bob does it!

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=390387

Post subject: Re: Bob Carver is Out of Retirement
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 10:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Unless its broken or has the Wong RLC values for its intended use, cable is cable. For both interconnect A/V and speaker cable you can't go wrong with cheap RG-59.

I wish Bob Carver would put his skills to work on designing a no-holes-barred SQ Quadraphonic decoder. The Fosgate Tate DES system was the only SQ Quad decoder ever released that properly decoded all directions with no audible artifacts. Until Gary Reber refused to sell Dolby Labs the Tate chips, Dolby used the Tate DES IC's in all their theatrical Dolby Stereo decoders - then Dolby was forced to create their own design, of which Pro-Logic was the result (although Shure's consumer Acra-Vector decoders STILL decode Dolby stereo films better than Pro-Logic or Pro-Logic II).

Unknown to most, there are a number of SQ Quadraphonic LaserDisc's released by Pioneer... And the p0rn0 film Insatiable II was encoded in SQ Quad by Gary Reber for its LaserDisc release, although CBS wouldn't allow the SQ logo on the jacket so they just said "surround sound"
On LD, Bowle's Serious Moonlight, Dolly Live In London, Buddy Rich Live at King Street, the DiscoVision FleetwoodMac disc and many others are all encoded in the SQ Matrix. oh, and Queen Greatest Flix and Olivia Twist Of Fate are SQ too.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 15:39 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Interesting designs being so tall and thin. I'm surprised there isn't a slightly larger base cone on there. It almost looks like complete mids and the front tweeters. I'm guessing that speaker is going to cost at least a few thousand if not $10k or up, so we'll have to see.

-disclord
I used to say that too about cable's not making a difference. After awhile I changed from monoprice premium RCA cables to some better stuff and boy does it make a difference. I was turned into a "believer" after that. No they are not as important as the speaker, but if you have nice equipment and a few thousand dollar speakers attached to it, you should be able to hear the difference without difficulty. If your running a walmart HTIB system, I agree, go spend that money elsewhere as you probably won't hear any difference.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 16:26 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Carver made some great equipment.

Last edited by rein-o on 04 Jan 2017, 03:51, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 03:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I don't think anyone will ever beat the 1970s Wharfdales, the ones that were full of sand.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2012, 08:36 
publius wrote:
I don't think anyone will ever beat the 1970s Wharfdales, the ones that were full of sand.

I think JBL played with this sand-dampening-concept in the late 80's making a prototype of poured concrete that housed subs that were the size of small cars.... :shock:

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]