It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:53

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Onkyo tx-ds575x; Anybody have experience?
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2019, 08:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hello all,

I've recently picked up my first stereo receiver, an Onkyo tx-ds575x. After purchasing a banana-plug to RCA adapter set and cutting off the banana plug connects so that i can twist them into the front speakers output, i now have it hooked up to my Laserdisc player and it sounds really great :)

Right of the bat, the volume is more accessible with the knob and now i don't have to get up to manually adjust the TV since i don't have a remote. My denon cassette player also sounds really good over this device. I picked it up for 9 bucks at a goodwill... seems to still go for 70-150 dollars today and, from what i've read, has a little bit of a legacy following.

Does anybody have any experience with this model? I quite like it.

It supports that Lucasfilm ReEQ crap, too.

Post subject: Re: Onkyo tx-ds575x; Anybody have experience?
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2019, 14:46 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think I'm reading it wrong, you would put the banana plugs into the red and black on the receiver then cut and put the wire into the red and black speaker.

Glad you are happy with it, getting a sound system will make all things actually sound better.
Even DVDs hooked up to a real setup will make it sound good.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2019, 19:30 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
I think I'm reading it wrong, you would put the banana plugs into the red and black on the receiver then cut and put the wire into the red and black speaker.

Glad you are happy with it, getting a sound system will make all things actually sound better.
Even DVDs hooked up to a real setup will make it sound good.

No, you read that right. My receiver does not support banana plugs.. it's the kind where you twist the copper of the wire, curve it, slide it in around the loop and then twist down. My speakers are female RCA, so i cut off the banana plugs of a banana plug to RCA adapter, twisted them in and then used a male RCA to male RCA connector.

Yeah, it sounds crystal clear.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 00:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

vectrex3000 wrote:
My receiver does not support banana plugs..

That doesn’t sound quite right looking at pics of the AV Receiver on-line. This unit should have what we call “5 way binding posts” that will accept bare wire, banana plugs, spades, etc.

Sounds more like your speakers came with RCA jacks which are not common unless the speakers were from the 1970’s or of some proprietary design (e.g.: Bose is known to do things differently but not RCA jacks for speaker leads from what I recall). Thus, you can’t plug an RCA jack into a banana style binding post.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 03:29 
Honest fan
Honest fan

ldfan wrote:
vectrex3000 wrote:
My receiver does not support banana plugs..

That doesn’t sound quite right looking at pics of the AV Receiver on-line. This unit should have what we call “5 way binding posts” that will accept bare wire, banana plugs, spades, etc.

Sounds more like your speakers came with RCA jacks which are not common unless the speakers were from the 1970’s or of some proprietary design (e.g.: Bose is known to do things differently but not RCA jacks for speaker leads from what I recall). Thus, you can’t plug an RCA jack into a banana style binding post.

My specific Onkyo is the black version; I have seen pictures of a silver one... probably a european model like most of pioneer's silver stuff.

Mine does not support banana plugs for the speaker hook ups. The post slightly unscrews and you have to curve the wire around the inside then tighten. My speakers don't have a brand; They're generic and are from when i went to Taiwan. They're connected via RCA.. one female white and one female red... with a standard wall outlet connection.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 03:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

vectrex3000 wrote:
My specific Onkyo is the black version; I have seen pictures of a silver one... probably a european model like most of pioneer's silver stuff.

Mine does not support banana plugs for the speaker hook ups. The post slightly unscrews and you have to curve the wire around the inside then tighten. My speakers don't have a brand; They're generic and are from when i went to Taiwan. They're connected via RCA.. one female white and one female red... with a standard wall outlet connection.

I think I've seen those before on something else.
Usually they will take a banana plug (as well as wire) but yours don't have the hole for them.
You should be able to replace them.

For the speakers you could replace the RCA with whatever you want.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 07:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

vectrex3000 wrote:
They're connected via RCA.. one female white and one female red... with a standard wall outlet connection.

Sounds like what you are describing are “powered” speakers that would explain the RCA connection and a power cord connected to them. If that is the case, you should not be hooking these up to speaker terminals but instead to “pre-amp” outputs (if available on your amp which I know this unit does not provide). At some point, you will eventually damage these speaks since you are forcing power into something that already powers itself.

Powered speakers are generally used for set-ups involving just a playback device (e.g.: CD player, PC, portable audio player, VCR, DVD player, LD player, etc.; basically anything w/ a RCA or mini jack that outputs a fixed line level output.) since there is no need for an amp.

Last edited by ldfan on 22 Aug 2019, 15:58, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 08:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Oh wow, how did I not see that I even quoted it :crazy:

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 21:33 
Honest fan
Honest fan

ldfan wrote:
vectrex3000 wrote:
They're connected via RCA.. one female white and one female red... with a standard wall outlet connection.

Sounds like what you are describing are “powered” speakers that would explain the RCA connection and a power cord connected to them. If that is the case, you should not be hooking these up to speaker terminals but instead to “pre-amp” outputs (if available on your amp which I know this unit does not provide). At some point, you will eventually damage these speaks since you are forcing power into something that already powers itself.

Powered speakers are generally used for set-ups involving just a playback device (e.g.: CD player, PC, portable audio player, VCR, DVD player, LD player, etc.; basically anything w/ a RCA or mini jack that outputs a fixed line level output.) since there is no need for an amp.

They work when not on wall power though; Just Onkyo output to speaker. - The only time i ever had to plug the speakers in is when i used to watch VCD on my PS1 with that Chinese Gamars addon as i've mentioned in another thread.

Anyways, i'm just glad my Laserdiscs sound even better. I've been rewatching a few films recently and i do notice a big difference. Good stuff.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 22:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

That’s true in that it will still work but over time, by forcing power into it, you will eventually have a burn out on the internal amp in the speaker.

This idea is similar in the car audio world when someone doesn’t want to get rid of their original head unit but still want the option to have an external amp. Thus, they deploy a “speaker level to line level” adapter that will take the signal from speaker connections and filter out the amplified power to allow just the sound to pass through to RCA pre amp outputs. This is not the best way to do it since it can add distortion but it works and protects the external amp.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]