It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:07

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Rank a/v hardware manufacturers from best to worst
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2020, 05:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

:thumbup: 30 years old players kicks new ones !
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2020, 19:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Back in college, I had some brand vanity and wanted everything to match in my rack/cabinet. :lol: Still, only once in my ever-evolving home (or dorm at the time) theater did I have everything on the rack (and display) matching... and when I did, it was Pioneer (though still a mix of regular and Elite).

Circa 2004 it included:

Display - Pioneer Pro 530HD
AVR - Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX
LD - Pioneer CLD-D406
DVD - Pioneer DV-655A (I kept it around a little while after getting the DVD/DVR below)
DVR - Pioneer Elite DVR-47H (I would have bought the cheaper Pioneer model, but hated the silver it came in)

At the time, the only thing that didn't match was the speakers... a mix of Paradigm 5se MKII (L/R), 3se MKIII (Center and Surround), and a DIY Adire Shiva subwoofer.

Not long after moving the monster RPTV out of the dorm (luckily there was a service elevator) and back home for the summer, I decided the smart thing to do was to go front-projection before moving to an off campus apartment in the fall. After that, as was everything in my home theater, things began to cycle out and be replaced. I'd sold the Pioneer DVD player a few months after getting the DVR as it was redundant. Star Wars had been released on DVD (which was the entire reason I had bought an LD player, to begin with) so that was easy to part with as well (not to be replaced until my quarantine dive into LD a few months back). The DVR was replaced with an HD DVR from Comcast, which also necessitated a new DVD player (I went with a Bravo D1 to take advantage of the DVI input on the Panasonic 960x540 projector I bought). The AVR was all that stuck around for a few more years before being replaced with another Elite model capable of HDMI switching.

Nowadays, I only have two matching components, my AVR (Marantz SR6011) and LD Player (Marantz LV520, a Pioneer D504 clone). Everything else is completely disparate and a total mix of 1990s, 2000s, and modern technology... Emotiva XPA-3 amplifier, Rotel RDA-980 decoder/demod, Toshiba HD-DVD player, Panasonic UHD player, Nvidia Shield TV Pro streamer, Roku streamer (only for Apple TV+), Epson 4K-ish projector, SilverTicket 125" 2.35:1 Acoustic Transparent screen, Monoprice THX-LCR IW front speakers, Sonance THX-SUR surround speakers, Speakercraft Atmos speakers, and still a DIY subwoofer.

Last edited by shopkins82 on 22 Sep 2020, 20:54, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020, 14:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

My home theater setup is a hodge-podge of manufacturers. Although I stick with Pioneer exclusively for my LD players.

As for my dedicated audio setup I use a lot of Conrad Johnson. My DAC, Preamp, and Amp are all Conrad Johnson. Just acquired a pair of Conrad Johnson ART amplifiers a few weeks ago. I've been in audio heaven recently.

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2