It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:10

Page 2 of 2 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: James Woods recommends collecting Laserdiscs
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2020, 22:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Here we go again.....

The liberal agenda mentioned in James Woods tweet is the subject of the topic thread.
That is the reason he recommended physical media. To avoid the changing of content to reflect the insane political correctness pathology rampant currently.
Any censorship is beyond the tolerance of a freedom loving society.

For my part, sharing views and opinions is exactly what the forum was created for.
Perhaps the member that has a problem with the exchange of opinions and thoughts would prefer a suppression of this thread, a censoring of "uncomfortable" or "threatening" viewpoints.

People so insecure in their beliefs and viewpoints have much to fear in a free society.
Where tolerance and acceptance thrive, ignorance and fear wither.
When one is secure in ones beliefs and/ or opinions, one is not threatand or afraid of discussing or learning of different viewpoints and/or opinions.
This is called live and let live, freedom of expression, living without tyranny, basically respecting diversity of THOUGHT, and apropos is the state of (correction) New Hampshire's rally cry "LIVE FREE OR DIE".
No judgment, no labeling, no cancellation culture insanity, and certainly no worries about someone having a different way of perceiving the world.
When political correctness became a "thing" it worried intelligent people as it was meant to suppress opinions outside the accepted "norm".
The suppression of thought and opinion is not the kind of free society imagined by me.

Forgiveness, Tolerance, Acceptance, and non-judgmental attitude is severely lacking in today's liberals.

Perhaps, if threatened by this typed opinion, reflecting on the previous tendencies would help steer the compass to a northern setting......

Last edited by firehorse_44 on 14 Jul 2020, 15:33, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Acta Non Verba .....
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum ....
Si Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc ......

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2020, 22:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ldfan wrote:
This is a very sensitive topic for many people and maybe it’s best to express it on a forum more suited for it.

Agreed. Mostly because I'd rather not dwell too much on the politics of the various people here. I'm a pretty liberal guy (or at least I like to think I am) so I'm open-minded about people's politics as long as they're civil about it, but there's probably a few key issue I would most vehemently disagree upon and I don't want to find out who it's gonna be.

Like thinking The Last Jedi is a good movie. I just can't respect a person after something like that!

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020, 01:37 
Site Admin
Site Admin

confederate wrote:
I understand. But nobody has said anything nasty so far and we are merely exchanging opinions here. That's all. If Julien believes we should not have this discussion then we can simply close this thread and move on :)

History is made to be rewritten when power shifts happen. There is no "true" past but what the people in power chose to retain or delete.

I've already deleted half the messages here because there were mostly angry posts with little substance and tons of F words that do not belong here.
This is not a forum for self-indulged political rants. Please do not quote "Fox News" as a source of credible information, this is preposterous.

Back on topic, would you agree that there are 2 cases for content edits? One is the original author (like Georges Lucas or Steven Spielberg making changes to their creations) and another one is the distributor/copyright holder going on a "CYA" (Cover Your a**) strategy by removing contents that might get them in trouble?

Julien

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020, 02:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Speaking of CYA moves to remove content.
Idiocracy was not even distributed after completion due to "political incorrectness" on multiple levels.
Censoring was not even possible due to the amount of ribbing western people get throughout the comedy.

That movie rocks by the way, and instead of 500 years in the future that "alternate" reality fiction is more here "now" in real reality then I can take the time to type....

We seem to be devolving steadily as fast if not faster then we evolve technically.
As I have typed before half of Africa's 1.2 billion still live every night in huts with cooking fires. No electricity and no modes of transportation.
Still, more people have been lifted out of poverty in the last decade then at any time in recorded history.
So, slowly we inch forward.

Julien has been busy keeping this thread "up".
For that I am thankful.
This type of current events discussion helps share ideas, and also remind one that "no person is an island".

Cheers to the membership.....

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020, 03:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

admin wrote:
confederate wrote:
I understand. But nobody has said anything nasty so far and we are merely exchanging opinions here. That's all. If Julien believes we should not have this discussion then we can simply close this thread and move on :)

History is made to be rewritten when power shifts happen. There is no "true" past but what the people in power chose to retain or delete.

I've already deleted half the messages here because there were mostly angry posts with little substance and tons of F words that do not belong here.
This is not a forum for self-indulged political rants. Please do not quote "Fox News" as a source of credible information, this is preposterous.

Back on topic, would you agree that there are 2 cases for content edits? One is the original author (like Georges Lucas or Steven Spielberg making changes to their creations) and another one is the distributor/copyright holder going on a "CYA" (Cover Your a**) strategy by removing contents that might get them in trouble?

Julien

Wow that just have happened fast. I've been generally keeping up with the thread and did not catch it.

Lucas is a nut, honestly not a fan. He just happened to make some fun movies by copying others. Sounds about spot on for editing reasons. If there is ever something that pushes me towards learning more Japanese it will be because official translations are suspect. Always interesting to compare fansubs to the official localization when possible.

Firehorse I will add you've been on point and well worded as usual. Would have hit like a few times here, if available.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020, 03:37 
Site Admin
Site Admin

firehorse_44 wrote:
Idiocracy was not even distributed after completion due to "political incorrectness" on multiple levels.

It did receive limited theater release in the USA and DVD release.
Post-analysis seem to show that it was the advertisers (as in the ads-generating, product-placement sponsors) who tried to narrow the release scope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy

I saw it recently and actually liked it. It felt like a low-budget parody of Back to the Future where the USA future would be a much, much worse off version of today.
I have no idea what Mountain Dew (I don't drink soda) tastes like but it seems to have limited benefits on growing salads :-)

Julien

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020, 04:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Loved Terry Crews as President Commancho.....

Thanks for the wiki link, did not know it got limited release status.
Picked up the commercial release of the DvD a few years ago after a friend turned me on to a bootleg.
Felt I had to support the effort .......
Had some co-workers part with $10.00 and YouTube it one fine evening.

Judge really out did himself with quite a masterpiece.
Underrated does not really apply as most were prevented a fair shake at seeing it upon Theatrical release.

Now off to Starbucks.......

Cheers mates

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020, 08:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

admin wrote:
confederate wrote:

Julien

Hi Julien, you are quite right regarding the concept of "true" past. History is written by the victors. There is a lot of truth to that.

I can already imagine which lddb member used the F Word in abundance :lolno:

Sorry but I read and watch all kinds of news sources, CNN, Fox News, ABC News, NHK World, Swiss TV because they all have a
different perspective on things, etc. However I stopped watching China government run CTGN News or Putin's Russia Today a long
time ago. I haven't watched Fox News for at least one week now.

However just because something is reported by Fox News, CTGN News or MSNBC does not automatically mean it is true or false.
CNN or MSNBC are not entirely unbiased, either.

By quoting these links I just wanted to show and this is something that James Woods was referring to how the liberal Thought Police is trying to shut down
everything and everyone who does not agree with their world view and ideology plus he mentioned laserdiscs which I thought was cool!
Just google the name Harald Uhlig. It was big news in Germany.

A nice day to everyone.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020, 15:03 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Thank you for all posts above, very scary in the world.

1st I always thought brondo was a gatorade and not mountain dew but it could be that too.

2nd my wife always said a few years ago that all these people making their own goat milk, string or hats are just running backwards as fast as possible.

I'm not talking about actual farmers I'm talking about people who had amazing paying jobs and left it all to farm sea salt in the south of France.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020, 17:06 
True fan
True fan

firehorse_44 wrote:

This is called live and let live, freedom of expression, living without tyranny, basically respecting diversity of THOUGHT, and apropos is the state of Vermonts rally cry "LIVE FREE OR DIE".

You're thinking of New Hampshire, not Vermont.

I'm not much in favor of censoring old media, but I am fine with disclaimers as seen on some of the more recent Loony Tunes boxsets, and now Gone with the Wind on HBO Max.

It's not removing history, just opening a dialogue and giving more context for younger viewers who otherwise wouldn't have know.

I don't feel like James Woods is the one you want to follow into battle on this one though, he's been a notorious creep for decades.

Last edited by pokefraker on 13 Jul 2020, 17:14, edited 2 times in total. _________________
You know, excuse me, this is, a damn fine cup of coffee.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020, 17:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
I'm not talking about actual farmers I'm talking about people who had amazing paying jobs and left it all to farm sea salt in the south of France.

This week on house hunters!

"My husband farms sea salt. I'm a feline dancing instructor. Our budget is 1.2 million dollars"

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020, 17:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

However people want to live their private life within the general rules ie not killing people is fine by me. I know a guy that left a big tech job to farm in Hawaii and he is much happier now.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020, 18:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:
rein-o wrote:

This week on house hunters!

"My husband farms sea salt. I'm a feline dancing instructor. Our budget is 1.2 million dollars"

:lol: :lol: :lol: Exactly.

I have no problem with that, if you have a shitton of money and want to change careers that's fine,
when you want to change the world since you already have your money and can afford 1.2 on feline dance instructions then that's another
story.

Buy me my place next door for 800K and I can possibly see it your way, but don't forget about the 8 billion other people.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2020, 15:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

pokefraker wrote:
firehorse_44 wrote:

This is called live and let live, freedom of expression, living without tyranny, basically respecting diversity of THOUGHT, and apropos is the state of Vermonts rally cry "LIVE FREE OR DIE".

You're thinking of New Hampshire, not Vermont.

I'm not much in favor of censoring old media, but I am fine with disclaimers as seen on some of the more recent Loony Tunes boxsets, and now Gone with the Wind on HBO Max.

It's not removing history, just opening a dialogue and giving more context for younger viewers who otherwise wouldn't have know.

I don't feel like James Woods is the one you want to follow into battle on this one though, he's been a notorious creep for decades.

Doah, apologies New Hampshire and Vermont !
Thanks for the correction !

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020, 09:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

confederate wrote:
admin wrote:
confederate wrote:

Julien

Hi Julien, you are quite right regarding the concept of "true" past. History is written by the victors. There is a lot of truth to that.

I can already imagine which lddb member used the F Word in abundance :lolno:

Sorry but I read and watch all kinds of news sources, CNN, Fox News, ABC News, NHK World, Swiss TV because they all have a
different perspective on things, etc. However I stopped watching China government run CTGN News or Putin's Russia Today a long
time ago. I haven't watched Fox News for at least one week now.

However just because something is reported by Fox News, CTGN News or MSNBC does not automatically mean it is true or false.
CNN or MSNBC are not entirely unbiased, either.

By quoting these links I just wanted to show and this is something that James Woods was referring to how the liberal Thought Police is trying to shut down
everything and everyone who does not agree with their world view and ideology plus he mentioned laserdiscs which I thought was cool!
Just google the name Harald Uhlig. It was big news in Germany.

A nice day to everyone.

That's it, that's it. If you ban information from Fox News, please ban all links the New York Times, Guardian, CNN, MSNBC, ABC Australia and BBC as well, because all of those plus many many others have their extreme biases. I'd just like to say at least Fox New doesn't hide editorials as actual news like many of the other organisations. Yes, that's my opinion, feel free to disagree but I have a valid opinion based on observation.

Firehorse, on point as usual. Stay frosty man.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020, 16:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

forper wrote:
That's it, that's it. If you ban information from Fox News, please ban all links the New York Times, Guardian, CNN, MSNBC, ABC Australia and BBC as well, because all of those plus many many others have their extreme biases.

I say I agree with you on that since I stated before this is not the forum to discuss politics and rile up the members who really just want to enjoy discussing a video format. I’d say lock up this topic not because I want to censor anything (and let me say based on the “original intent” of the post that I agree studios shouldn’t be changing movies for political correctness) but the post has devolved into something so unnecessary.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020, 16:51 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topic locked, everyone can cool down and preserve original movie cuts on physical formats if you can!

+ forper account suspended for one month, another cool down time.

Julien

Page 2 of 2 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2