It is currently 27 Sep 2020, 18:00

Page 63 of 64 [ 1266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last Product you bought? (Except Laserdisc)
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2020, 21:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Didn't some versions of Sega Mega Drive also have D-sub?

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2020, 22:11 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

xtempo wrote:
I have a VGA box for dreamcast. I can't remember the brand but I don't remember if I tried it with my TV or something else. So a question what would the needed resolution be on the D-SUB for dreamcast to work or should I try an HDMI convertor or cable?

Fairly certain the output resolution for the Dreamcast VGA is 640x480 or 720x480 @ 60Hz. I can't think of too many TVs that have a 15 pin D-Sub input that can't accept that signal (though how it will be displayed is another matter entirely.)

Just keep in mind that not every game supports VGA output. Though with the proper converter disc, you can force VGA output for almost any game. Almost! And it won't be true VGA/RGB resolution. Just kind of upscaled.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2020, 22:14 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

takeshi666 wrote:

Can't say that I've ever seen a Mega Drive or Genesis with a D-Sub out.

SCART maybe.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2020, 22:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The serial port is a DB9.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2020, 22:54 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

xtempo wrote:
elahrairrah wrote:
Makes it more accessible to more machines. Like a Dreamcast if you have the VGA box (which is THE best way to connect a Dreamcast) or an early model Xbox 360 (yes I still use mine, especially since I got the HD-DVD add on.)

Hell the first Progressive Scan DVD player I ever owned had a D-Sub out and was waaaaaay better than component (HDMI wasn't a thing yet.) It was all region too, so it is still of some use if I don't want to put any wear and tear on my all region blu-ray player for watching import DVDs.

More options is a good thing is it not?

I have a VGA box for dreamcast. I can't remember the brand but I don't remember if I tried it with my TV or something else. So a question what would the needed resolution be on the D-SUB for dreamcast to work or should I try an HDMI convertor or cable?

The DC is always 640x480. The best thing to use is a period CRT for computers. These run about $0.14 these days if can still find them.

I have seen TVs with VGA inputs but they were rare and also all the ones I can specifically think of were also terrible TVs except for one weird huge monitor thing I had once, a pro monitor from Sampo/NetTV. There were many good TVs with DVI but not that many with VGA from what I remember.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2020, 01:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

elahrairrah wrote:
More options is a good thing is it not?

Agree. You can pretty easily convert VGA/HDMI but I've never been happy with the results of those cheap adapters. That's the main thing that held me off of getting an OSSC (no VGA out).

signofzeta wrote:

The DC is always 640x480. The best thing to use is a period CRT for computers. These run about $0.14 these days if can still find them.

I have seen TVs with VGA inputs but they were rare and also all the ones I can specifically think of were also terrible TVs except for one weird huge monitor thing I had once, a pro monitor from Sampo/NetTV. There were many good TVs with DVI but not that many with VGA from what I remember.

The big issue is finding them and then when you do you have to hope they are not near death. Over the last few years I got three. One was in great shape, the other two were ready for junking.

A lot of tvs post CRT had VGA in for awhile until they just stopped. Of course if it's not plasma it's early LCD which is not great. Most CRT tvs do not have a VGA input, even HD ones.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2020, 03:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

takeshi666 wrote:

Early model 1 Mega Drive and Genesis had that ext port. I believe it's serial as already mentioned, possibly for connecting to a modem but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Some people have never noticed the console versions with that port, especially now as they can be harder to find. It's mostly because the port only appears on the early model 1 labelled High Definition Graphics Stereo Sound, most of them don't have TMSS afaik.

I have an early PAL model 1 here, has the serial port, labelled High Definition Graphics Stereo Sound, doesn't have TMSS.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2020, 04:09 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

deadlegion wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

Early model 1 Mega Drive and Genesis had that ext port. I believe it's serial as already mentioned, possibly for connecting to a modem but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Some people have never noticed the console versions with that port, especially now as they can be harder to find. It's mostly because the port only appears on the early model 1 labelled High Definition Graphics Stereo Sound, most of them don't have TMSS afaik.

I have an early PAL model 1 here, has the serial port, labelled High Definition Graphics Stereo Sound, doesn't have TMSS.

Yeah, it is a serial port for the modem that never came out, or at least never came out in the US.

The “High Definition Graphics” ones are the ones to get. The sound is significantly better than other versions of MD. Some are quite bad. Obviously the coolest MD to get is the MkI JP one with the huge 16-BIT on it. I friggn LOVE that thing.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2020, 04:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
Yeah, it is a serial port for the modem that never came out, or at least never came out in the US.

The “High Definition Graphics” ones are the ones to get. The sound is significantly better than other versions of MD. Some are quite bad. Obviously the coolest MD to get is the MkI JP one with the huge 16-BIT on it. I friggn LOVE that thing.

Yeah the JPN model 1 has huge gold 16-bit :lol:
But if you look at the PAL model 1 HDG it still looks nice (imo), 16-bit is smaller but still gold. Reset button isn't blue and the reddish band around the power light is a different colour, basically matches nearly everything else (a very small amount of red still exists on power switch and volume slider).

https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?7796-GUIDE-Telling-apart-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2020, 21:41 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

signofzeta wrote:

Well if you have a terrible TV with a VGA input, you have a terrible TV regardless of it having a VGA input or not.

Fact of the matter is, a good lot of plasma and LCD HDTVs and even EDTVs ("Enhanced" Definition TVs--ones that did not have a native high definition resolution, ie: like 853x480, 1024x768, 720x480, etc.) up to the mid to late 00's had 15 pin D-Sub/VGA inputs. It all depended on how the manufacturer decided on how to handle the VGA input. Some handled them extremely clumsily. As in the TV would only accept a 4x3 computer resolution like 640x480, 1024x768, 1152x864 and then horizontally stretch the image to fill the 16x9 screen!! My friends' plasma was like that. The manual stated that it had a native resolution of 1366x768. I hooked my laptop up to its VGA input and tried to set it to that very resolution, but the dumb thing letterboxed the image and you couldn't unletterbox it!

Then others were built to "optimize" a video image rather than a computer image so that when you did use the VGA input, the only way the image would look decent is having to turn the sharpness ALL the way down and toggle the brightness and contrast a lot.

However, I did run into many more that handled the VGA input perfectly. Having worked in IT for many years, I had to help install many of these for conference rooms which needed to have computers connected to them. Looked just as good as high end computer monitor in a lot of cases.

One of the more amazing LCDs that I've run across was by Envision, OEM'd from computer monitor manufacturer AOC. It was actually a really cheap TV--37" LCD sold for only $600 in 2006. Had a full gamut of inputs--composite, S-Video, Component, HDMI and VGA. Had a 3D comb filter for SD sources and handled any video source really well, including the VGA input which you could set to the native resolution of 1366x768. Dreamcast VGA looked damn good on it too.

Had a feature I never saw on another TV before or since. I think it was called "JUST" or something like that. Most widesceen TVs have picture controls where you could stretch the screen vertically or horizontally or zoom for when you were watching 4x3 sources--calling those settings "STRETCH", "ZOOM", etc. Well, the "JUST" setting displayed the actual resolution of the source you were feeding it centered on the screen. I think it still had to deinterlace an interlaced source, but it was a neat option to have.

I have run into some LCDs and Plasmas with DVI, but those were few and far between. Hell, a number of the Hi-Scan Sony WEGA CRTs had DVI inputs. Wasn't intended for computer use, but I did once hook my PC to my 40" WEGA. Didn't look half bad, either, but the colors were a little washed out and I had to set the contrast way high to get white whites.

Anyways, I think I've rambled enough. There were crap TVs with crap VGA inputs, but a lot of good TVs with good VGA inputs too.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2020, 11:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Super Famicom controller
Mercenaries Playground of Destruction (Xbox)
Silent Hill 4 The Room (Xbox) - new sealed
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean (Xbox 360)
Earth Defense Force Insect Armageddon (Xbox 360)
Battlestar Galactica The Plan (BD)

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2020, 05:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

1) I have in the last 3 months ordered a new car that has not been produced at this moment.
Volkswagen: T-Roc EVO TSI 1.5L R-Line Ravenna blue and deep metallic black upper and roof, and with a number of additional accessories.

My order has a seven stage process: 1) Processing / 2) Order with factory / 3) Build Week Confirmed=(this is where it's currently at) / 4) Build in progress / 5)
Shipping / 6) Arrived at the showroom / 7) Almost there (this is when they take it for a presale drive to make sure that all is in order, then they call me to enquire
about any other items that I will want them to fit, (of which I have a list of) and then after that I am invited for viewing.

During the viewing I shall pay for the car, part exchange my 26+ year old car and sign all of the relevant paperwork, spend an hour checking all the controls ect, and
familiarising myself with how everything works and then drive away.
Cash purchase and so I got £1,300 off the list price.

2) August the 01st I purchased 2 x High quality leather Power recliner chairs with usb sockets next to the recliner buttons.
Also with the recliners I purchased a high quality leather foot stool with storage compartment with the same double thickness leather.
After choosing the recliners that I wanted I then went through all the colours and finally chose the double thickness leather for an extra £100
During the sale I enquired / negotiated a discount and got £250 off the list price and a further £30 off for the Slip mats extra warranty for damage and a full cleaning
kit. The reclining includes the adjustable headrests.

By November I should have the new Car and the two recliners and footstool.

The above purchase was only possible as a result of 40 years of a little Investment that matured, and Pensions and a ''tax free'' lump sum however we all know that nothing is tax free, I mean who are they kidding eh! LOL.

My present Car VW Golf M3 GTI 2L is 26 years old & has been looked after over the many years however' this will not get through the next M.O.T in December and so the old girl will have to go.

I will not be sad to say goodbye as I am ready in many ways.

The engine is totally fine though, so maybe someone can use this and get a lot more miles who knows.

I am now getting excited and I deserve it, as I have worked so hard over the years, including working two jobs in times past and presently work 96 hrs shifts and then four days off at a time and also work overtime.

I stay in a lot although I have just in the last 5 days return from 16 days annual leave in North wales walking and climbing and this was the longest time I have taken for holidays for over 23+ years.

Took plenty of photos and video footage of the countryside and the many waterfalls

Genuine and sincerest Regards to everyone here and hope you are all ok.

Take good care of yourselves.

:thumbup: :wave:

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2020, 08:08 
Serious fan
Serious fan

benmbe wrote:
1) I have in the last 3 months ordered a new car that has not been produced at this moment.
Volkswagen: T-Roc EVO TSI 1.5L R-Line Ravenna blue and deep metallic black upper and roof, and with a number of additional accessories.

My order has a seven stage process: 1) Processing / 2) Order with factory / 3) Build Week Confirmed=(this is where it's currently at) / 4) Build in progress / 5)
Shipping / 6) Arrived at the showroom / 7) Almost there (this is when they take it for a presale drive to make sure that all is in order, then they call me to enquire
about any other items that I will want them to fit, (of which I have a list of) and then after that I am invited for viewing.

During the viewing I shall pay for the car, part exchange my 26+ year old car and sign all of the relevant paperwork, spend an hour checking all the controls ect, and

2) August the 01st I purchased 2 x High quality leather Power recliner chairs with usb sockets next to the recliner buttons.
Also with the recliners I purchased a high quality leather foot stool with storage compartment with the same double thickness leather.
After choosing the recliners that I wanted I then went through all the colours and finally chose the double thickness leather for an extra £100
During the sale I enquired / negotiated a discount and got £250 off the list price and a further £30 off for the Slip mats extra warranty for damage and a full cleaning

The above purchase was only possible as a result of 40 years of a little Investment that matured, and Pensions and a ''tax free'' lump sum however we all know that nothing is tax free, I mean who are they kidding eh! LOL.

My present Car VW Golf M3 GTI 2L is 26 years old & has been looked after over the many years however' this will not get through the next M.O.T in December and so the old girl will have to go.

The engine is totally fine though, so maybe someone can use this and get a lot more miles who knows.

I am now getting excited and I deserve it, as I have worked so hard over the years, including working two jobs in times past and presently work 96 hrs shifts and then four days off at a time and also work overtime.

I stay in a lot although I have just in the last 5 days return from 16 days annual leave in North wales walking and climbing and this was the longest time I have taken for holidays for over 23+ years.

Took plenty of photos and video footage of the countryside and the many waterfalls

I have every respect for people who genuinely earn and patiently save their money for something they desire. Enjoy your purchases benmbe, sounds like you deserve them!
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2020, 09:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Wow benmbe 26 years old GOLF... the Golf I currently drive is from 2006, and I was starting to think it was getting old.
But not anymore after reading your post. Lets hope my car will last as long as yours :)

Congrats on your new purchases, hope you will enjoy them.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2020, 11:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

benmbe wrote:

pictures of the freshly minted VW. I had 2 bugs one classic that was rotted and dad and I couldn't save it. then I had a newer model around 2015 but that I the weirdest issue with the wiring or something so sometimes it wouldn't work at all. but even so I still love bugs and things and the company even with little ownership I have.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2020, 18:37 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I drove an 86 GTI until it was 22, roughly 350,000 miles but it’s hard to know for sure since it consumed multiple instrument panels over that time. Generations 1-3 are all very hard to keep going after a certain point in places like Michigan and the UK. The floors are just too thin...

Currently we have a 2014 TDI wagon, no plans to replace it. However VW has become too posh for my tastes. They make multiple versions of the GTI as well as the R now and I don’t really care for any of them. OBSCENELY complex in every single way possible, expensive, with ridiculously high maintenance costs. Nothing they make for the US reminds me of my old GTI at all. The Up GTI looks great but they won’t sell it here.

So my actual daily is a Honda Fit. The VW is for the kid and mom and long trips.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2020, 02:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Congrats benmbe, that sounds great.

@Zeta: Yeah, the humidity in Michigan is very much a problem.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2020, 11:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Dino Crisis 3 (Xbox)
Castlevania Lords of Shadow (Xbox 360)
Star Ocean The Last Hope (Xbox 360)
Enchanted Arms (Xbox 360)
Dungeon Siege III Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Kane & Lynch 2 Dog Days Limited Edition (Xbox 360)

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020, 07:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Hunter The Reckoning (Xbox) - new sealed
Sacred 3 First Edition (Xbox 360) - new sealed

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2020, 10:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Die Hard Vendetta (Xbox)
Of Orcs and Men (Xbox 360)
Deadly Premonition (Xbox 360)

Page 63 of 64 [ 1266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next