It is currently 20 Jan 2021, 21:07

Page 6 of 6 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Sega Saturn
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2021, 18:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
I can’t even explain how disinterested I am in any of this! I already have the Saturn I want and rarely play boots. When I do I just do the old swap trick. That all sounds like a nightmare of zombie add-on b******t that will never end. When do you play the games?

It probably does seem like a nightmare to an American :lol:

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2021, 20:00 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m not sure what being an American has to do with anything. Is the need to change one’s BIOS screen somehow an American problem? It seems like a self induced non-issue.

The impression I had of the Saturn in Europe was pretty much the same for Laserdisc. That is, local support was so bad any real enthusiast will end up importing a bunch of NTSC stuff anyway so you’d be better off just going that way from the beginning.

I had a TurboDuo when it was new. I had already been through the experience of a domestic publisher trying to get me to buy some of the tiny number of games they had planned but in 1993 I just stopped buying TTI and went import %100. When it was obvious Bernie was killing the Saturn in the US I switched into that gear again. I was importing LD from day one, imports were actually why I got the player.

It’s a lot easier and nowadays also much cheaper as an American to just pretend the Saturn and the PC Engine never came out here and buy all Japanese releases. I have a switch on my Saturn but I don’t actually use it that much because the American library is quite small...all in huge cases, mostly broken, and costs...for some reason...a ton of money even though I can’t imagine why you’d ever want at any price US titles like Guardian Heroes or Street Fighter Alpha with their horrible cover art. I sell my US games when people ask me to because I always thought of them as just the junk I bought cheap or close by when I didn’t have a day to drive to Die Hard and back for a JP version that was $20 more but almost always better.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2021, 20:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

So you have a Japanese Saturn and Japanese games?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2021, 21:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I have a US Saturn (oval button), and a Japanese Saturn (“no danger” era white), both switched. I have most of the real cartridges, controller variants, taps for it and I don’t think I have any 3rd party HK stuff anymore. Most of my games are Japanese now but I still have US versions of things like Azel because it’s an RPG and I’ll never know Japanese well enough to enjoy the game in that language as much as I do the very well localized US one. I eventually sold games like Saturn Bomberman for $$ after getting a slightly superior JP version for ¥50. I guess I’d like to trade my US Street Fighter Collection for a JP one but since nowadays I have the arcade PCB for Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha (personal all time favorite fighter...) I guess it’s sort of academic.

Page 6 of 6 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6