It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:45

Page 20 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tat you've bought to clutter your home with (Reprise)
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2021, 05:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Are you watching all these, or just letting them build up? The latter is how it tends to go when I go on a 3D kick once every year or so... usually I find one mixed in at the Goodwill, watch it, order 7 more from Zavvi, and then they sit on the shelf when they show up 3 weeks later.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2021, 07:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Never buy things to just sit on a shelf. That's hoarding. All this stuff will be watched. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2021, 16:06 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I always buy media to be watched... at least 75% of my physical media collection has been watched, and only that much remains unwatched because I buy a good chunk of my discs (mostly BD) from Goodwill and don't mind taking a lark on something I think I might eventually get around to for $1-$3/disc. I keep unwatched films bumped out about 3/4" on the shelf so I can easily spot something I haven't watched when it's time to pick a movie. I

t just seems like when I do go through a 3D interest kick, it always fades pretty fast... usually, before the batch of 3D films I got on 3/$30 or similar deals from Zavvi arrive in the mail... and it seems like those 3D interest kicks are always sparked by coming across something semi-interesting in 3D at the Goodwill to begin with. I will say the last time I almost had another 3D kick, it was because I found World War Z in 3D at the Goodwill, but that film in 3D was a draining (nearly headache inducing, and I'm not 3D sensitive) experience... which saved me from buying another batch I won't get around to watching.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2021, 16:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

When I was younger I was a bit of a fan of 3D, especially in print. I hoped for a “second coming” of 3D for half my life and then when it came...I was pretty bored by it for some reason. I’ve seen a number of things in 3D but the best of the modern era, IMO, was Wim Wenders’s Pina. Most of the new 3D just doesn’t do it, probably because all CG now so nothing really does it. Also everything is so DARK. Dark dusty swirls of CG.

My favorite 3D is blue/red comics but I also like the “ValiantVision” style.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2021, 16:43 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The big thing for me with 3D is whether it was shot in 3D with 2 lenses or converted in post-production, which is the norm for the latest 3D revival. Loved seeing Up in 3D (easier to "shoot" a movie in 3D when the camera is virtual), but thought the last Harry Potter movie looked like a pop-up book (which wasn't a surprise to me, but that's how my friends wanted to see it). And for all the problems I had with the Hobbit movies, it was at least convincing 3D. The eye knows when it's looking at 2D elements merely arranged in 3D.

Best 3D movie I ever saw was Cave of Forgotten Dreams. You'd think that a movie about drawings wouldn't need to be 3D, but seeing the depth and the contours of the cave directly really made all the difference in the world. Next best thing to seeing the paintings in person. That's the only 3D movie I've seen where I really think the 3D aspect is indispensable.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2021, 17:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The only 3D movie I wanna see is Robot Monster. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2021, 11:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've had a quick skim through a handful of the 3D stuff so far. Just little snippets.

Someone asked the other day about Dark Star. I 'think' it was shot on 16mm back in 1974 and finished off later on after the show reel footage was originally shot to get backers on board to fund it? Not sure where the 3D element came in to play. To the best of my knowledge it did play in theatres as a 3D feature though I am not sure when. Also I cannot find any information about if some scenes were shot natively in 3D or if it was a post conversion. I cannot imagine it being post-converted unless done much later due to technology constraints at the time perhaps? I'll dig in to this one a bit more to see if I can unearth anything. Maybe someone here knows more about it? The 3D is alright, very much constrained by the effects budget and so on. It reminds me a little of the 3D cardboard cutout style in Jaws 3 though done slightly better in places.

A couple to note on are the Scorpions and Guns N Roses 3D concert discs. With regards the 3D, it works to an extent. It's very subtle on the Scorpions disc and near non-existant on the GnR disc. I was hoping for a bit more from each disc in terms of the use of 3D. The Scorpions disc looks the better of the two I think.

The big difference is in audio quality. The Scorpions disc is lovely! Nice and loud, using a wide sound stage so it doesn't suffer from the problem many other titles across all formats seem to suffer from. They all seem to have a very narrow sound stage with instruments and vocals all competing for supremacy which ends up sounding like a muffled mess. With the Scorpions disc it's so loud I had to turn the volume down a bit for the sake of protecting my ear drums!

The Guns n Roses disc seems to suffer from the whole competing sounds thing. It sounds much quieter and isn't helped by the fact Axl sounds emphysemic (not an allegation, just a descriptive around his voice). Sure everyone knew anyway that his voice was on the way out around the time of the tour. It's all a bit of a sad state of affairs and the whole thing with pole dancers and Vegas and all the rest of it just seems to make it all look a bit tired and sad. A bit of a disappointing disc but good to have in a 3D/concert collection regardless.

A couple of other standouts in terms of films so far include The Walk, Descpicable Me 2 and Pompeii. I'll work my way through and watch every disc properly at some stage. The HMZ is doing a good job so far.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2021, 13:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

When Axel Rose was at his absolute peak vocally he sounded exactly like Cobra Commander. It can only get worse with age. They should replace him with Adam Sandler.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2021, 20:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Sam Kinison. :lol:

Another day, another dollop of 3D tat. Read good things about the 3D in Doctor Strange. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2021, 20:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Did I seriously steal Sam Kinison‘s joke? Now I have more respect for him and less for myself.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2021, 10:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Did I seriously steal Sam Kinison‘s joke? Now I have more respect for him and less for myself.

Ah sorry, alas no. I was thinking of screamers who could replace Axl Rose and Sam Kinison came to mind.

Oh, while I'm here, more 3D tat arrived! The 3D tsunami is relentless! :D

Also got some new kit to replace my battered kit for my upcoming ultramarathon. Mandatory race items like a bivy bag and mountain whistle. Also got a new Hydrapak bladder, Hydrapack cups and a Salomon ADV Active Skin 12 bag.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2021, 11:39 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Everything about ultramarathon is weird. Alien. I feel like in the course of the development of that sport we’ve discovered a new sub-species than can run 1000x harder than any normal human ever possibly could even if being chased by dogs. Most humans would RATHER be eaten by dogs because it’s less painful than running 50 miles a day for a week and living in caves.

There are those people (all women so far, I think) that can see a much more developed range of yellow than anyone else and it wasn’t discovered until the 20th century. There’s a lot to learn about humans.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2021, 12:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

All I can say is the training is just utterly soul destroying (in an oddly good way). It's my first ultra, I am doing it after the Ironman I was doing in August got deferred until 2022 (so I start training for that again in February next year).

When I do marathon training it's just relentless miles, week in week out, but with a small bit of respite between runs. With ultra marathon training it's just relentless milebagging. Day in day out. Though you have the added bonus of climbing mountains, navigation and all the rest of it to deal with. Sure since Saturday I've run over 60km (and one of those was a 21km run/hike with 600ft of elevation that took me 3.5hrs to finish).

It's a great experience though so far. Marathons are a test of endurance and mental toughness over a sustained pace/goal. Ultramarathon's, what I've found so far, is that all of what you thought you knew about running, pacing etc just gets thrown out of the window. Nothing matters any more. The distance you need to cover means low HR training for long, sustained periods and maintaining that HR in order to finish (similar to what I learned with ironman training). Not just that but learning to sharpen the mind in terms of focus and mental toughness is absolutely key. Marathon's can ruin you if you lose the head. Ultramarathons will take your head and crush it, and your entire soul like a paper cup.

Great fun! :D

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2021, 13:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yes, but you’re also genetically different from large parts of the population. You clearly enjoy running...or enjoy hurting yourself. One way or another that’s not something everyone likes. Either way it’s super impressive, to run like Melos.

A friend of mine loves running and he married a lady who also loves running. They just run and run and run. It’s amazing, and it’s proof we are very different. I’ve done some running in my life, never more than like two miles, I learned that it NEVER is as fun as it is for people like you and them. My experience with weight training is similar. It’s never ever easier and it hurts every time. These days my only real exercise is that I rarely sit down and every time I climb stairs (which is dozens of times a day) I sprint up them at max speed.

Yesterday my six year old and I were flying model rockets in the park. That’s a lot of waiting and a lot of sprinting. Paintball is the same way. On a perfect day, I do enjoy running as fast as I possibly can for like...20 seconds. It genuinely makes one feel alive. Once I catch the rocket or get to to tower or whatever though I stop.

I guess what I’m saying is that you’re a Newtype, or very probably an ancient old type. How many wisdom teeth do you have? Are your thumbs hooked? Are your earlobes attached?

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2021, 17:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Nobody smiles when they run.

I hardly ever post my cool stuff but I just found this in Virginia at an antique mall.
Carved out of a root or just plain old tree log, very crazy and I feel like I've seen this in one
of those Hammer horror shows or films.

Attachments:
20210613_192741-1.jpg
20210613_192741-1.jpg [ 251.04 KiB | Viewed 2223 times ]
20210613_192756-1.jpg
20210613_192756-1.jpg [ 289.64 KiB | Viewed 2223 times ]

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2021, 10:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That carving looks fantastic. Great find! Was there a price tag or any provenance with it if it's antique?

@Zeets: Not sure about enjoying running. I guess so but for me it's more about the combination of endurance and seeing just how far you can go, and also the scenery on a good trail. Exploring routes and places you've never seen that are either just down the road or on your doorstep. The exploration is the fun part I think.

Not a fan of paintballing. Last time I went paintballing it was somewhere in The Bronx (I forget the place, may not be there any more) and some gungho idiot shot me in the back of the head. Hurt like hell! :crazy:

In other news, this stuff arrived yesterday evening. Some spare parts I needed for my Sony HMZ-T3W.

I contacted Sony directly and they put me in touch with the relevant spare parts supplier for the region. The parts are listed online for purchase but you cannot complete the order online you have to phone them and order that way. The guy I spoke to was excellent, really helpful and had my order set up in minutes. A word of note for anyone needing Sony parts for Europe, you may deal with the same company who are based in the UK. I said on the phone that the VAT could be removed as the postal service would apply VAT on delivery in New Delaware anyway. He sorted this out straight away so I didn't have to pay the VAT thanks to the New Delaware VAT rules! :mrgreen:

The parts do not come from the UK, they are sourced in from Japan via Sony in Denmark so you have to wait a couple of weeks for the parts to be shipped in to the UK and then exported to you.

Anyway, the stuff arrived (in original Sony Japan baggies and rebagged in export bags), two shade pieces L and R and a Sony Stay piece for the battery pack. The parts were not cheap but you can't get them anywhere else, plus they are genuine Sony parts. Expensive, but a great service and now my HMZ-T3W is complete and working perfect. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2021, 14:58 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Unfortunately no, but I do know its older and its 1 solid piece of wood.
For the price I paid its going to stay with me until I move or get scared of the piece one morning.

No signature or anything, just cool one of a kind and must have LOL

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2021, 21:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just got a bunch of He-Man toys. I've never owned any in the past, but the new Origins toyline appears to have actually made it to the shores of this distant lands (or at least some of our online retailers anyway) so I felt compelled to buy them on principle.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2021, 06:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I am thinking of buying a machine to wash my vinyl records. I had never tried it myself before but last night I met this guy who offered to wash one of my Dire Straits
records for me using a professional machine for free so I could test it. I had read a lot about it that it would reduce noise ( which makes sense ) and improve sound quality
( I did not believe that it would make that much of a difference ). Let me tell you that I was blown away by how my 42 year old Dire Straits record sounded after being
washed. The details are just amazing, everything sounds crystal clear. Knopfler's guitar coming from the right speaker just blows me away.
It is a clearly audible difference and does not fall into the realm of phantasy and voodoo magic. Every music and vinyl lover should wash his records. Last night's experience convinced me 100 %.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2021, 11:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

teddanson wrote:
That carving looks fantastic. Great find! Was there a price tag or any provenance with it if it's antique?

@Zeets: Not sure about enjoying running. I guess so but for me it's more about the combination of endurance and seeing just how far you can go, and also the scenery on a good trail. Exploring routes and places you've never seen that are either just down the road or on your doorstep. The exploration is the fun part I think.

Not a fan of paintballing. Last time I went paintballing it was somewhere in The Bronx (I forget the place, may not be there any more) and some gungho idiot shot me in the back of the head. Hurt like hell! :crazy:

In other news, this stuff arrived yesterday evening. Some spare parts I needed for my Sony HMZ-T3W.

I contacted Sony directly and they put me in touch with the relevant spare parts supplier for the region. The parts are listed online for purchase but you cannot complete the order online you have to phone them and order that way. The guy I spoke to was excellent, really helpful and had my order set up in minutes. A word of note for anyone needing Sony parts for Europe, you may deal with the same company who are based in the UK. I said on the phone that the VAT could be removed as the postal service would apply VAT on delivery in New Delaware anyway. He sorted this out straight away so I didn't have to pay the VAT thanks to the New Delaware VAT rules! :mrgreen:

The parts do not come from the UK, they are sourced in from Japan via Sony in Denmark so you have to wait a couple of weeks for the parts to be shipped in to the UK and then exported to you.

Anyway, the stuff arrived (in original Sony Japan baggies and rebagged in export bags), two shade pieces L and R and a Sony Stay piece for the battery pack. The parts were not cheap but you can't get them anywhere else, plus they are genuine Sony parts. Expensive, but a great service and now my HMZ-T3W is complete and working perfect. :thumbup:

That’s what I mean! You gave up paintball forever...because of a single shot!? It “hurt”? How could it possibly hurt anything like an ultramarathon? Did it hurt for a MONTH? In order for an ultramarathon to not seem like and actually be literally dangerous self torture you have a have a body that is massively different than a normal Earthling. You can’t see it because, after all, we only get one body. Trust me though, you and I are different classes of human. Like an F1 car and a bulldozer.

Page 20 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 37  Next