It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:38

Page 11 of 14 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do any of you guys collect video games?
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2021, 04:22 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I picked the Super Famicom Dragon Quest games (I+II, III, V, VI; went looking for V and found a listing with it and the others for a good price) in part to practice reading Japanese. Still need to look up plenty of words while playing, but I'm getting more of it than I thought I would at first, so that's encouraging.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2021, 15:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
It sucks. The CDI always totally sucks, sucked, and will suck.

A huge pile of massive suck.

I mean, it doesn't suck any harder than some of the other early attempts at CD-based home gaming systems, plus I never thought of CD-i as a gaming system. I have a soft spot for the weird 90s multimedia stuff and I understand that at least some of the games are actually decent.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2021, 17:15 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Just sold my Turbo Duo, all accessories and games to my Godson.

I haven't played it in years and he's been bugging me for it, so if he gets some joy out of it, it will be a worthwhile sale.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2021, 17:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
gypsy wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
It sucks. The CDI always totally sucks, sucked, and will suck.

A huge pile of massive suck.

I mean, it doesn't suck any harder than some of the other early attempts at CD-based home gaming systems,

Such as...PC Engine, Mega CD, CD32, 3DO, Marty...certainly not. It may be better than a Pippin...I don’t know much about the Pippin. What system am I forgetting? Everything I can think of near-period is better and if it isn’t it’s also thought of as crap (Jag CD).

Quote:
plus I never thought of CD-i as a gaming system. I have a soft spot for the weird 90s multimedia stuff and I understand that at least some of the games are actually decent.

That I can agree on. If it’s not considered a game system then it’s...well hell, it’s still a VCD player...VCD, the worst home video format ever despite not being anywhere near the first.

I like audio CDs a lot. It plays those.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2021, 18:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
What system am I forgetting?

The CDTV?

The CD-i port of Tetris is pretty unremarkable from a technical standpoint (the only gamemode is the one that moves you to new stages so you can't actually play it indefinitely as long as you play it perfectly) but it has probably one of my favourite videogame soundtracks ever.

I think the biggest problem with gaming on the CD-i - and what probably significantly affects it's reputation as a gaming platform - is that the default controller is terrible and an actual gamepad for the system costs at least as much as the player itself nowadays.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2021, 20:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

What hurt it was that it costs twice as much (at least) as a more fun machine, had nothing like the kind of software people actually wanted (Sega/Nintendo) and the game pad was crap. The early 90s was ground zero for massive companies blowing huge money on terrible controllers that any gamer on earth could have told them was crap.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2021, 19:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

takeshi666 wrote:
The CD-i port of Tetris is pretty unremarkable from a technical standpoint (the only gamemode is the one that moves you to new stages so you can't actually play it indefinitely as long as you play it perfectly) but it has probably one of my favourite videogame soundtracks ever.

I agree. The soundtrack is excellent. I already noticed this in the late 90s :)

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2021, 09:04 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I hope someone here as one copy in collection!

$870,000 for Zelda
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/07/10/business/zelda-auction-nes-record/

$1,560,000 for Mario
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57804089

I don't want anyone complaining that LDs are getting too expensive! :mrgreen:

Julien

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2021, 13:07 
True fan
True fan

There is got to be some kind of money laundering scheme behind this, there is no way that anyone with two braincells would spend 1.5 mil on a bloody common title as Mario 64.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2021, 14:54 
Site Admin
Site Admin

therussian wrote:
There is got to be some kind of money laundering scheme behind this, there is no way that anyone with two braincells would spend 1.5 mil on a bloody common title as Mario 64.

Read the article more in details: it's the first production batch (some differences on cover) and only 5 sealed copies are known to still exists.
It's also the job of the auction house to hype their products as much as possible.

Quote:
The Super Mario 64 cartridge was graded by video game collectable firm Wata at a 9.8 A++ rating - meaning it is both in near-perfect condition and its seal is intact and "like new".

A high rating is not enough to guarantee a high auction price - although it helps. Another copy of Super Mario 64 in the same auction with a 9.6 A++ rating sold for a comparatively affordable $13,200.

Somebody thought it was worth that much...

Tag Heuer/LVMH also thinks that tweaking their smartwatch with a Mario theme will make you spend $2,150 (2,000 copies):

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/13/22575007/tag-heuer-super-mario-connected-wearos-smartwatch
https://www.tagheuer.com/us/en/smartwatches/tagheuer-connected-collaboration.html

Julien

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2021, 16:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

therussian wrote:

Just search up heritage, they have some great stuff going on.........

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2021, 16:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

admin wrote:
Tag Heuer/LVMH also things that tweaking their smartwatch with a Mario theme will make you spend $2,150 (2,000 copies):

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/13/22575007/tag-heuer-super-mario-connected-wearos-smartwatch
https://www.tagheuer.com/us/en/smartwatches/tagheuer-connected-collaboration.html

Julien

Madness. It doesn't even have a movement in it to justify the price. That's a pure cash grab item.

In contrast I have both Longines and Omega watches and appreciate something made properly and worth it's price tag than some gimmick-riddled junk that TAG have thrown together there. A proper timepiece should last a lifetime. That thing looks like it'll last about 5 minutes.

Save up a bit lot :crazy: more and get yourself a Maitres du Temps Chapter One:

https://www.maitresdutemps.com/chapterone.html

Or if you want something a bit different URWERK make some fantastic futuristic pieces:

https://www.urwerk.com/

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2021, 16:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s not worth that much at all, even in the least common version of the flimsy terrible US box. The guy massively massively massively overpaid. The only explanation I can think of is that he owns a skid of them already and he overpaid for this one to drive up the price on something he has 1000 copies of. Nothing else makes sense. This was one of the best selling games of the year.

N64 collectors are the dumbest collectors of all. Anyone who has ever worked at a used video game store can back me up on this. If they have millions of dollars it just makes them rich and dumb. You could buy a two story arcade in Tokyo for that kind of money and he bought shrink wrap.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2021, 06:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

teddanson wrote:
Madness. It doesn't even have a movement in it to justify the price. That's a pure cash grab item.

I was hoping for an automatic one as well...

Big let-down when I saw it was just a tweaked design and an OS with Mario theme pics/animation.

Pretty lame.

Julien

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2021, 10:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It really is. It's WearOS as well. Look at the trouble Fossil had with them. Don't forget that Alphabet like to pick up and drop down their products more often than a hookers knickers.

Not a huge fan of their watches, though I recall one TAG piece that I really liked a few years ago and almost bought, but decided I just loved the aesthetics and would likely not want to wear it for fear of scratching it etc which is not the point. The TAG Heure Monaco '66 Gulf limited edition. I 'think' there was some link mentioned to Steve McQueen too but I forget. Of course the link being Le Mans (the best motor racing film of all or any time imho).

Officine Panerai make some beautiful pieces too with some superb work on the innards. The same for Ulysee Nadin. Just some examples below. YMMV in tastes of course, we're all of us different! :thumbup:

Save your money on the Mario cash-in junk and buy yourself a nice timepiece that will last you and could possibly be handed down in the future. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2021, 10:54 
True fan
True fan

I still don't get the point of smart watches. It's really for people who got to lazy to grab their phone out of their pocket. It's just pathetic.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2021, 12:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s nothing new for a watch company to charge insane money for nothing. The same Timex or Seiko can list for multiple times the basic price just because they put a different band on it or they colored the hands differently. Now in this case you can see that it’s just software and licensing but it’s the same thing as when they put a dude’s name on it and quadruple the price for no other reason.

The watch company Shinola (*perfectly* named) takes the same $30 movement that’s in a $70 watch and puts in in their own case which makes it cost $650. It’s an OK watch and the people get paid for real but I have trouble understanding where the money went…

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2021, 14:15 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:

The watch company Shinola (*perfectly* named) takes the same $30 movement that’s in a $70 watch and puts in in their own case which makes it cost $650. It’s an OK watch and the people get paid for real but I have trouble understanding where the money went…

:lol: That is a great name, wonder if all will get it.

The money went to all the other people, the trickle down.

I was at a philosophy lecture once and the topic was about enough is enough in buying stuff.
This woman in the audience asked if it was right for her to spend 500 on a purse.

The real situation is not that the company is getting that 500 bucks for the purse but that all the money
trickles down to the beginning of the making of the purse, the people who make the leather have bills,
the people who make the zippers have bills, the people who have the store that sells the purse have bills and so on.

We aren't talking about used stuff which even if bought new should be much less, I've seen used stuff and the asking price is more than
buying it new for some of these guitars and other stuff, just not right.

Think of that watch, that person makes money every time they sell that movement for 20-30 bucks that gets dropped into
whatever it gets dropped into and they get to pay their bills.

BUT I don't think anybody needs expensive watches anymore, its more of just jewelry for men.
Its not like we count on our wrist watches to make it to work on time anymore, we have phones and clocks all over the place.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2021, 16:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, you would buy into that Reganomics stuff. It isn’t real, or rather it isn’t a complete picture.

Nike can make a great pair of shoes for $100 but to make a great pair of Jordans you need $200. The guys building the shoes, boxing them, shipping them, hauling it to the dump etc, don’t get paid double trickle down. Jordan and his people, the marketing drones, they get the extra $100.

A good watch movement takes millions to engineer and put into productions. The basic Timex sells at a loss until it moves a million units. Making a Astro Boy one for double price can hasten this process or put some money in the Tezuka coffers but nobody making the watch sees any of it unless it’s a very rare situation (hand assembled, exotic materials, etc).

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2021, 14:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
therussian wrote:

Just search up heritage, they have some great stuff going on.........

The are also in cahoots with WATA. The cost to grade a game is dependent upon the "going rate" for which they only use the heritage auction sales for data..

Page 11 of 14 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next