It is currently 18 Sep 2021, 23:22

Page 25 of 25 [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 Post subject: Re: Tat you've bought to clutter your home with (Reprise)
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2021, 21:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Some tat from Japan arrived today.

First up the vinyl soundtrack for Future War 198X. I've been keeping an eye on this to come up for a few years now. It does appear occasionally but usually for silly money. Finally got a copy to go with the Laserdisc and Mechanic Special art book.

Next up is a VHS cassette and another in the Mind Control series. I've been waiting forever for Part 5 to appear on Laserdisc but it just doesn't seem to come up for sale. It does exist as there is a pamphlet inside the VHS box that lists it in the catalogue. Remember volumes 1-4 took me literally years to get and then they all appeared at once earlier this year! Volume 5 has never appeared, only this VHS release. Maybe the Laserdisc was cancelled? Just a side note, the LDDB entry is incorrect, the title for part 5 is Forest Fantasy, as you can see in the photo I took below. I've had stern words with Julien and submitted an update entry request. :lol:

Sixteen Candles may be heavily dated and not exactly PC today, but it is still one of my favourite films. Didn't really need the Laserdisc when the Blu Ray is the ultimate edition at present. It will be fun to watch though!

I have a soft spot for 1980's Japanese 'city pop' and 'city jazz' and recently got in to 1986 Omega Tribe. They have a great song called Crystal Night which is worth checking out. I wanted to hear more so got this rather obscure Laserdisc called Single Vacation. I'm hoping for that whole 80's city nights vibe. Driving a red Porsche 959 through the night streets. Ladies in cocktail bars sipping Martini's in one hand and twirling a Virginia Slim in the other. The clatter of plates and clinks of glasses in the supper clubs and jazz bars. The animated neon sign of an olive dropping in to a cocktail glass outside a late night city bar. The cutaway shot of a freshly shined formal shoe stepping in to a puddle on the rainy city streets. Cliche heaven!

This disc better live up to that. No pressure!

Last up is a special Axis Records 20th Anniversary limited edition CD set. I listened to both discs today and it's spectacular. A great compilation of some of the best Axis pressings and also some remixes and unreleased tracks exclusive to this set.

You get information cards for every track in both English and Japanese as well as some great photographs. The box opens like a cigarette pack and has Jeff Mills' signature in gold on the inside of the box liner. It looks great and sounds even better. Delighted with it.

I also finished the ultramarathon I trained for at the weekend. 60km and 5000ft of combined ascent in 11 hours 58 minutes. And the rain jacket worked a treat. :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2021, 23:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Only thing I picked up recently moviewise is Made In Hong Kong, very interesting film, has the modern feel of Brighter Summer Day
but on a lower budget and not as dated.
Only watched half so far, very interesting film and thanks to forper for mentioning it.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2021, 14:20 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

LEGO VOCALOID Miku Hatsune, (kinda-sorta) she ought to show up in a few more days now;

GOOD SMILE "MODEROID" MOBILE POLICE PATLABOR 1/60 TYPE J-9 "GRIFFON"

arriving as soon as AmiAmi finally gets their stock in and ships out to me;

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2021, 21:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

More tat over the past few days.

Picked up the German Blu of Grindhouse. This is the full double feature version, complete with the fake adverts and trailers. The book I just threw in for aesthetics as I noticed it follows the Blu Ray design a lot. I've had the book for years and it is wonderful.

Grindhouse is one of my favourite films (in all senses of the word films) of all time. A pure, unabashed love-letter to the films of the 1970's and 80's that give so much joy to all! :thumbup: The book is excellent by the way, and still in print. This German Blu is the best version available worldwide, I forget why now but I did check before buying it.

Note the double feature version is missing a LOT of footage from both films, not sure why the directors chose to do that for the all in one version. You will need to buy the films separately for the uncut prints of each. Our good friends in Germany are the ones to see again for your purchases with regards those films.

Next up I got a 3D version of the Peanuts movie. Watched the 4K HDR version already and absolutely loved it. Keen to see what the 3D version is like. Also grabbed a copy of Open Range on Blu. This is, in my opinion, one of Kevin "the show was neat" Costner's finest films he's ever done. The shootout alone is worth the entry fee. Again, our friends in Germany have provided the world with best edition of the film.

Lastly I finally got a PN50 and some goodies to populate it with. Waited since August for all these components due to the global chip shortage. Slapped a Linux distro on it and it's good to go. Works a treat although I did need to get some FOSS drivers on github for the graphics and also my MX Keys and Master 3 keyboard and mouse. The K&M work out of the box but the FOSS drivers on github provide full functionality for both devices which Logitech failed to provide. The joy of Linux!

Page 25 of 25 [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25