It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:43

Page 25 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tat you've bought to clutter your home with (Reprise)
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2021, 21:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Some tat from Japan arrived today.

First up the vinyl soundtrack for Future War 198X. I've been keeping an eye on this to come up for a few years now. It does appear occasionally but usually for silly money. Finally got a copy to go with the Laserdisc and Mechanic Special art book.

Next up is a VHS cassette and another in the Mind Control series. I've been waiting forever for Part 5 to appear on Laserdisc but it just doesn't seem to come up for sale. It does exist as there is a pamphlet inside the VHS box that lists it in the catalogue. Remember volumes 1-4 took me literally years to get and then they all appeared at once earlier this year! Volume 5 has never appeared, only this VHS release. Maybe the Laserdisc was cancelled? Just a side note, the LDDB entry is incorrect, the title for part 5 is Forest Fantasy, as you can see in the photo I took below. I've had stern words with Julien and submitted an update entry request. :lol:

Sixteen Candles may be heavily dated and not exactly PC today, but it is still one of my favourite films. Didn't really need the Laserdisc when the Blu Ray is the ultimate edition at present. It will be fun to watch though!

I have a soft spot for 1980's Japanese 'city pop' and 'city jazz' and recently got in to 1986 Omega Tribe. They have a great song called Crystal Night which is worth checking out. I wanted to hear more so got this rather obscure Laserdisc called Single Vacation. I'm hoping for that whole 80's city nights vibe. Driving a red Porsche 959 through the night streets. Ladies in cocktail bars sipping Martini's in one hand and twirling a Virginia Slim in the other. The clatter of plates and clinks of glasses in the supper clubs and jazz bars. The animated neon sign of an olive dropping in to a cocktail glass outside a late night city bar. The cutaway shot of a freshly shined formal shoe stepping in to a puddle on the rainy city streets. Cliche heaven!

This disc better live up to that. No pressure!

Last up is a special Axis Records 20th Anniversary limited edition CD set. I listened to both discs today and it's spectacular. A great compilation of some of the best Axis pressings and also some remixes and unreleased tracks exclusive to this set.

You get information cards for every track in both English and Japanese as well as some great photographs. The box opens like a cigarette pack and has Jeff Mills' signature in gold on the inside of the box liner. It looks great and sounds even better. Delighted with it.

I also finished the ultramarathon I trained for at the weekend. 60km and 5000ft of combined ascent in 11 hours 58 minutes. And the rain jacket worked a treat. :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2021, 23:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Only thing I picked up recently moviewise is Made In Hong Kong, very interesting film, has the modern feel of Brighter Summer Day
but on a lower budget and not as dated.
Only watched half so far, very interesting film and thanks to forper for mentioning it.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2021, 14:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

LEGO VOCALOID Miku Hatsune, (kinda-sorta) she ought to show up in a few more days now;

GOOD SMILE "MODEROID" MOBILE POLICE PATLABOR 1/60 TYPE J-9 "GRIFFON"

arriving as soon as AmiAmi finally gets their stock in and ships out to me;

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2021, 21:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

More tat over the past few days.

Picked up the German Blu of Grindhouse. This is the full double feature version, complete with the fake adverts and trailers. The book I just threw in for aesthetics as I noticed it follows the Blu Ray design a lot. I've had the book for years and it is wonderful.

Grindhouse is one of my favourite films (in all senses of the word films) of all time. A pure, unabashed love-letter to the films of the 1970's and 80's that give so much joy to all! :thumbup: The book is excellent by the way, and still in print. This German Blu is the best version available worldwide, I forget why now but I did check before buying it.

Note the double feature version is missing a LOT of footage from both films, not sure why the directors chose to do that for the all in one version. You will need to buy the films separately for the uncut prints of each. Our good friends in Germany are the ones to see again for your purchases with regards those films.

Next up I got a 3D version of the Peanuts movie. Watched the 4K HDR version already and absolutely loved it. Keen to see what the 3D version is like. Also grabbed a copy of Open Range on Blu. This is, in my opinion, one of Kevin "the show was neat" Costner's finest films he's ever done. The shootout alone is worth the entry fee. Again, our friends in Germany have provided the world with best edition of the film.

Lastly I finally got a PN50 and some goodies to populate it with. Waited since August for all these components due to the global chip shortage. Slapped a Linux distro on it and it's good to go. Works a treat although I did need to get some FOSS drivers on github for the graphics and also my MX Keys and Master 3 keyboard and mouse. The K&M work out of the box but the FOSS drivers on github provide full functionality for both devices which Logitech failed to provide. The joy of Linux!

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 10:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Bought some Japanese Ghibli Blus yesterday. I formerly had a combination of Studio Canal, various Scandinavian releases and a few Japanese ones which made a complete set. Now have to get the remaining two in the same series just to calm my OCD down lol. The UK release of Ocean Waves, which I've got, have burned-in subtitles which isn't very professional for a Blu-Ray release so that's a film I most certainly will have to buy again.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 15:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 21:03 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

nissling wrote:
Bought some Japanese Ghibli Blus yesterday. I formerly had a combination of Studio Canal, various Scandinavian releases and a few Japanese ones which made a complete set. Now have to get the remaining two in the same series just to calm my OCD down lol. The UK release of Ocean Waves, which I've got, have burned-in subtitles which isn't very professional for a Blu-Ray release so that's a film I most certainly will have to buy again.

what is next to Horus( the little Norse Prince)? [that looks like it has a mouse on the spine] Also would you know the best version of Horus/the Little Norse Prince?

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 22:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's Gauche the Cellist. Directed by Takahata Isao and pre-dates all of the regular Ghibli films, yet design is very similar overall. Very short but certainly with its own share of qualities.

Both Gauche and Little Norse Prince are available on Blu-Ray in Japan but I cannot comment on their quality unfortunately.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 23:06 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Heh, the “Ghibli” name keeps claiming things from the past. Soon they’ll be using it on Heidi.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2021, 12:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

nissling wrote:
It's Gauche the Cellist. Directed by Takahata Isao and pre-dates all of the regular Ghibli films, yet design is very similar overall. Very short but certainly with its own share of qualities.

Both Gauche and Little Norse Prince are available on Blu-Ray in Japan but I cannot comment on their quality unfortunately.

I used to have Gauche on Blu Ray (note to self, pick up a copy again). The HD transfer is superb. Total blind buy and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not a film told in a typical way either, which I found to be one of it's most enduring qualities. Hard to put down what I mean by that, it's something you'll perhaps pick up on when you watch it.

Well worth hunting down for a viewing.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2021, 14:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

A handful of tat today.

First up a couple of Blu box sets. Unless you live on Neptune you will have almost certainly heard of the Lethal Weapon films. We'll leave it there so, other than to say that as far as I am aware this particular Blu box (same release worldwide) is the current best available in terms of image quality, audio, extras and so on.

The other box set you very well may never have heard of. Goodnight Sweetheart was a television series that aired in the 1990's that told the story of a television repair man who discovers a time warp in an alley in the East End of London. The time warp gives him the ability to travel back to the 1940's and back to the present day (the 1990's). The show ran for 6 seasons (though came back for a one off special set in the 1960's at the end of the 2010's). You may be familiar with the lead actor (shown on the front cover) Nicholas Lyndhurst, his most famous role being that of Rodney Trotter in Only Fools And Horses. He's a great actor and excellent in Goodnight Sweetheart.

One for UK and Ireland folks I think. Though if you are remotely curious, go pick up a copy asap because it appears to be out of print on the Network Web site. There is a previous first edition run in a black box set but that doesn't pop up as frequently. Both box sets are exactly the same so buy with confidence.

Next is a couple of vinyl releases I found still miraculously in stock. First up is the soundtrack to The Inverse Telecine Project. Hunted this down immediately after watching the Kino Lorber Blu Ray the other day. Interestingly this is the first ever pressing of the soundtrack on vinyl. The recording was taken from the original master reels, no official soundtrack to the film was ever released so in 2021 this is a genuine first. Such a good soundtrack and a superb film that I strongly urge you to watch (just don't watch any trailers or anything for it prior, go in blind).

The other soundtrack is for Franco Nero's superb 1980 Italian Poliziotteschi hyperfilm The Blue Eyed Bandit. This is from the Record Store Day 2021 Drop #2. I meant to pick it up back with the other RSD titles I got at the time. Great to have it now though. It's Poliziotteschi, what's not to like about it? :D

Last up is an original 7" vinyl record of I Don't Know! by J-Pop funsters BaBe. Blame that Reely Interesting YouTube channel for this. Great to have an original copy of the single.

One thing to note is that this record was sent to me twice. The first time the post office returned it to sender (I think the customs form was incorrectly completed). The seller was really good about it though and contacted me before I even got to contacting them to tell me there was a problem. Whatever the issue was it was sorted out and arrived super fast from Japan. All good. :thumbup:

And to round all of this off, in honour of the Lethal Weapon Box set:

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2021, 14:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

you can spot an HITACHI-OEMed, PIONEER VH-900 VHS VCR, -as well as it's Remote unit- several times in Murtaugh's living room,
along with one of the rare PIONEER CRT monitors, in LW 2.

you can also spot an ocean container with a PIONEER label on it, around the climax of the film (guess who helped to sponsor this movie?)

finally, George Harrison's "Cheer Down" -an honestly superb song, YMMV- plays during the credits.

Otherwise, LW 2 seems a pretty rough sequel to a very solid initial film...

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2021, 14:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:
you can spot an HITACHI-OEMed, PIONEER VH-900 VHS VCR, -as well as it's Remote unit- several times in Murtaugh's living room,
along with one of the rare PIONEER CRT monitors, in LW 2.

you can also spot an ocean container with a PIONEER label on it, around the climax of the film (guess who helped to sponsor this movie?)

finally, George Harrison's "Cheer Down" -an honestly superb song, YMMV- plays during the credits.

Otherwise, LW 2 seems a pretty rough sequel to a very solid initial film...

Lethal Weapon 5 is my favourite. :thumbup:

MENDOZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 10:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

More tat, plus some stuff I had to collect from my work as I left it there just as lockdown commenced. Thought to show it here in case anyone is remotely interested. :lolno:

First up is Years Of Lead. This is the USA box set, the limited edition one with the excellent book included. If you have a player with a mod chip or another way to switch regions then you can watch Savage Three uncut in Region A. A must have set for any 1970's Italian crime film fans!

A new phono preamp to go with my new turntable. The old setup I had wasn't really working out, especially with the new cartridge and stylus. This Musical Fidelity V90-LPS preamp does both MC and MM and has a great sound signature too. That's about the extent of my audiophile verbal diarrhoea. Oh and it's black, not silver.

I should really be wearing a balaclava for this next one. I decided to upgrade my turntable to something that could do a bit more, and also didn't have a hard wired phono cable and could also capture audio directly. I managed to stumble upon an awesome deal for a Sony PS-HX500 from Jeff. It was graded as 'Acceptable' and literally the only thing wrong with it was a very small (about 3cm) crack on the side of the dust cover. It's otherwise immaculate. Massively discounted because of that and well worth the gamble as you can always return it to Jeff. Anywhere else and I wouldn't have bothered.

This thing is quite the upgrade from my previous turntable and preamp. It really does sound superb, though for me it's the ability to record straight to DSD and then dump the files on my NAS and DAP. I can also stream the DSD files, 'full fat', from NAS to phone using Neutron Player. Sony's software is a little iffy, and there's no Linux version which is a shame (anyone know of a DSD recorder for Linux?) but the results are superb, especially when listened to with capable headphones. The supplied cartridge and stylus are alright I suppose. I'll mount the Ortofon OM2 Red soon, just need to get some micro needle nose pliers to remove the wiring as it's very fragile and quite tightly secured. Really pleased with it overall, and it was a massive bargain to boot.

Oh, one other thing. I did test the RPM speeds for 33.3 and 45's. It's about 1 rpm over on both speeds. I'll pick up an insulated micro screwdriver soon enough to adjust the speed issue. It's not a huge problem and very easily adjusted.

For anyone interested, here's some vinyl I captured to test it out. It's being played back on my phone. Though I've since tested it on my DAP but haven't figured out how to take screenshots from it yet (direct screenshots).

The Keep Soundtrack (Record Store Day 2021 Vinyl):

The Inverse Telecine Project vinyl:

BaBe - I Don't Know! (Japan 7" Single, 1987):

Also got some more 3D discs. Guardians Of The Galaxy 1 and 2 and also Gods of Egypt. Plus a VHS from my work, The Marseilles Connection. More 1970's Italian Crime action!

More Blu's (dunno why Gods Of Egypt is there again, it's not that good!). The uncut version of Enter The Ninja from Germany (the disc is from Germany, it's not the title of the film and it's not about Angela Merkel fighting Franco Nero and Sho Kusogi though what a great film that could be!?). Also Jurassic World 3D.

Three VHS copies of one of the greatest films ever made, Death Flash. When you love a film that much 3 copies is not an extravagance. :mrgreen:

Three copies of another one of the greatest films ever made, Speed Driver. I also have an original 1980 lobby poster that was found in a closed down cinema in Palermo. Needs a custom frame though. Only thing to make it perfect would be having it signed by Fabio Testi and Senta Berger. I can dream... :( Side note: I actually got the Japanese VHS of Speed Driver about 3 or 4 years ago, direct from a private seller in the UK. I saw it for sale only once in Japan about a year prior and the shop wanted ¥30,000 for it. I've never seen it for sale (at least in my own research, ymmv) since buying it. I've always wondered as well if this ever made it to Laserdisc. Apparently it did, according to the only mention of it I've seen on the Internet on an IMDB user review of the film. If anyone ever spots this for sale on LD, please do let me know.

I'm going to make a hybrid version of the VHS releases. The Japanese VHS has the English dub track and hard Japanese subtitles, but the picture is rather washed out. The Italian original VHS has the original Italian audio track and a far better picture. Due to the age of the tape, the audio has started to degrade a little so will need a remaster in Ozone or similar. The French release is in black and white for me as I can't play SECAM tapes. I think it's in original AR though, I'll need to check it again. Audio I think is a French dub with no subtitles.

I've captured the Italian and Japanese VHS tapes and will edit them in Flowblade and maybe make an MKV container. I can't find any English subtitles anywhere as the film is very rare, obscure and hasn't had a release outside of VHS.

A full set of Lensman books. All first editions (I think?).

1983 Richard Harrison hyperfilm, Fireback!

An original 1981 7" single of Dangerous Strangers by Deborah Van Valkenberg (from the excellent film King Of The Mountain). This is a rarity and I found it for sale in Sweden about 2 years ago. One to record to DSD asap.

Two ultra rare VHS titles. The Embassy UK release (big box) of The Avenger, aka Nasty Hero. Also the original 1981 VTC big box release of Lee Majors hyperfilm The Last Chase. Both titles are ultra rare and took an age to find, especially The Avenger. The only other copy I've seen for sale on VHS (outside the USA) is a Hebrew big box edition for sale in Israel. Delighted to have it and I've already captured both tapes to digital.

Last up, one probably more for UK and Ireland folks who may have heard of the excellent adult comic Viz. It's a staple read every month and has been going for over 40 years. One of the spin offs that has come from the comic/magazine is the Profanisaurus. It's a section of the magazine with staff and reader submitted definitions to compile a dictionary of rude words, phrases and so on. It's most definitely NOT for children to read and definitely NOT safe for work! I've included a couple of samples below for you. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 15:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Damn, too many things to comment on.
Things that I can remember without going back and forth from your post.

Do make a post about your thoughts on the Lensman books, I tried twice to read them and just couldn't get the rhythm of reading them,
And I've read a lot of hard books.

Found an auction by accident two or three years ago where The Last Chase original poster art sold, can't remember price now but it was on Live Auctioneers.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 16:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Damn, too many things to comment on.
Things that I can remember without going back and forth from your post.

Do make a post about your thoughts on the Lensman books, I tried twice to read them and just couldn't get the rhythm of reading them,
And I've read a lot of hard books.

Found an auction by accident two or three years ago where The Last Chase original poster art sold, can't remember price now but it was on Live Auctioneers.

The Lensman books are certainly on my reading pile. I've a good few books to get through before those though but they will be read! For now they can prop up my copy of the Japanese Laserdisc of the anime. :lol:

I'd love a poster for the The Last Chase but wouldn't really have anywhere to hang it. Maybe another day. Also, I didn't think the film had that wide a run in the USA and was eventually an ABC TV film? Or something along those lines anyway. Lee Majors is in it so who cares anyway. :D

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 22:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Managed to pick up a comprehensive set of micro pliers this evening and set to work swapping out the existing Audio Technica cartridge for my Ortofon 2M Red.

The wiring is very delicate, I managed to get 3 of the 4 wires off with no drama. The white wire wasn't really fitted well from the factory so was already looking perilous. I managed to remove the white wire from the spade connector while removing it! Not to worry. I restripped the wire and with a tiny drop of solder and it was good as new and has a more solid connection now.

Only difference is there is a small amount of extra wire behind the cartridge as the 2M Red isn't as long as the AT cartridge so hence more slack. Also the spade connectors are slightly wider than the narrower Ortofon ones, so there is a little more wiggle on them than usual. It's fine though, they can easily be crimped down a little with the micro pliers.

The sound from the turntable now is superb. I span The Inverse Telecine Project soundtrack on it and it blew my socks clean off and in to the next town. It also helps that the record appears to be really well made and pressed. I'm thrilled with the results. :thumbup:

Here's a snap of the turntable spinning the soundtrack for Urusei Yatsura - Only You (no relation to the Marisa Tomeii film).

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2021, 08:26 
True fan
True fan

While on small holiday in Geneva, Switzerland picked up this new blu ray release of Joshua Tree. The picture is top notch.

Attachments:
244373180_708965583397738_2439478640801252155_n.jpg
244373180_708965583397738_2439478640801252155_n.jpg [ 429.63 KiB | Viewed 1979 times ]

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2021, 12:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Absolutely not first prints of Lensman. If anything says “the classic series…” it’s obviously a reprint. :) Also these are paperbacks…and not on Fantasy Press. It is a terrific set though, the art is great. This is the way to read the stuff if you can.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2021, 10:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Absolutely not first prints of Lensman. If anything says “the classic series…” it’s obviously a reprint. :) Also these are paperbacks…and not on Fantasy Press. It is a terrific set though, the art is great. This is the way to read the stuff if you can.

You are of course 612% correct. :thumbup:

I misread the copyright page when flipping through one of the volumes and thought it was a first edition paperback printing. I went through each volume again and these are 7th editions of the 1973 paperback first edition. The 7th editions were printed in 1982.

They are all on my reading pile. I have a good few books to demolish first before reaching them though!

More tat today too. Got these last week and held off as something I'm waiting on is due to arrive but I fear is now lost in transit. Didn't want to flood this thread, apologies. :oops: Anyway, if anyone remotely is interested there's a couple of whoppers here that may inspire. :thumbup:

First up is William Lee's 1987 back yard ninja hyperepic, Treasure Of The Ninja! Released by AGFA on Blu Ray and using the original Super 8mm masters, this is one rare beast of a film. It also sports one of the greatest theme songs to a film that I've ever heard. I hope AGFA put out a 7" vinyl pressing of it, or that William Lee puts it out on Tidal, Spotify etc. Or even Bandcamp, to buy. Treasure Of The Ninja was made on a budget of about 9 cents (I imagine) and was released on a home made VHS and distributed to a handful (literally) of video stores around New York and, I think, the Chicago area in 1987. The VHS is basically impossible to find so I wouldn't even bother trying to hunt it down. However the folks at AGFA have pulled off a really coup to get this blockbuster out on Blu Ray.

There's a couple of videos that Lee has put up on his YouTube channel about how hard it was to get his film out there, and all of the struggles he went through just to get his ninja film out there. It's a really interesting story, well worth looking up. It was partly based on that why I wanted to buy the Blu Ray, to support the director and also to see his film and the other films he made that are contained on this disc.

A link to the trailer is below:

Also finally picked up the Kino Lorber Blu Ray of Jazz On A Summer's Day. Though it is actually a new UK/Ireland release on the Curzon label. Same disc, different label. I had a quick skim through to see what the new transfer is like and it really is top quality. The picture and sound are the best they have ever been. I liked that although the image is nice and sharp and retains natural grain, it doesn't look like it's been messed around with as scratches and marks are present throughout. I think that adds something to it and works more in favour than having it DNR'ed to death and fiddled with by restorers. A true classic and definitely the best version out there imho.

Page 25 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 37  Next