It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:36

Page 26 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tat you've bought to clutter your home with (Reprise)
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2021, 07:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

teddanson wrote:
Managed to pick up a comprehensive set of micro pliers this evening and set to work swapping out the existing Audio Technica cartridge for my Ortofon 2M Red.

Interesting that you wrote up something like this.

I was working on a turntable restoration awhile back and considered the 2M Red to replace a really archaic Empire cardtridge off of an ‘85 JVC belt drive unit. I couldn’t see myself spending that kind of money on something I still consider a curiosity so I ended up getting the new Audio Technica, AT-VM95E (picked up for about $25 which was a steal).

I got the whole set-up working pretty good and spinned a Macross and Megazone 23 LP recently and it sounded good to me (no crackles or pops as both records are in great condition). I’m sure a 2M Red would still have sounded better but it’s not like I have the best phono stage, amp, and speakers to bring the most out of it.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 08:34 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

The 70s called and said they have a time machine and they said in the 80s CDs superscede LPs

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 08:38 
True fan
True fan

Laser always beats the crap out of a needle. I severely don't understand the resurgence of Vinyl.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 11:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

therussian wrote:
Laser always beats the crap out of a needle. I severely don't understand the resurgence of Vinyl.

Yes and no. There are many poorly mastered CD's that sound dreadful. Sometimes it becomes more apparent when you compare an old vs remastered CD release for example. Then again that could apply to any format I suppose.

I don't really understand the whole resurgence thing either. In my personal experience it's about records I've owned for years already or records that are off the beaten track, not necessarily the latest titles produced on 20XX equipment and easily available on Tidal, Bandcamp, Spotify and so on. I want to be able to back them up to digital too. Oh and the price premium slapped on vinyl for latest releases is mind-boggling too, not to mention the utter exuberant nonsense used to justify some of the more 'extravagant' prices for the gear to play your expensive copy of James Blunt's new album on. :crazy:

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 12:23 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, I buy records a lot but for some stuff I for sure buy CD. It depends on if audio max quality is relevant or not. With new release classical I always prefer CD (or higher resolution downloads) cleaner sound, no flipping, cheaper. These people who say LP sounds better than CD must have the worse stereo on the planet…

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 13:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
These people who say LP sounds better than CD must have the worse stereo on the planet…

Which is ironic because you definitely need good hi-fi gear to get a good sound out of LP!

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 21:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

An eclectic sack of tat today.

First up, Christopher Reeve horndog fiesta Somewhere In Time. Doc Brown needed a DeLorean and plutonium to time travel. Christoper Reeve is so hardcore all he needs is a f***ing coin, a lie down and some seriously hard thinking!

This is a great film I stumbled on by pure chance on television once years ago. It only got a Blu release in 2019, never knew that. The DVD was a nightmare to get at one stage so I gave up on it. Delighted to have this in HD now. A supercrush on Jane Seymour just adds to this film's excellence. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it (if my humble opinion is worth anything of course!).

Finally got Captain Marvel 3D after a couple of months of trying to get it from Jeff. He wouldn't ship it to New Delaware for some reason. Finally he did. I hear the 3D in this film is incredible, hence the purchase.

Next is the brilliant Oily Maniac! I saw this once before on Jeff's streaming video platform and loved it. It's such a bizarre film but great fun. Got this to make sure if it disappears from view online that I will always have a physical copy. It's such a stupid film. I love it millions. :)

Last is another large slice of 1970's Italian crime ultraviolence. The Eurocrime 4 Blu box set looks the business and hopefully will deliver. It's loaded with Maurizio Merli goodness so I can't wait to tuck in to a high-calorie violent assualt on my senses! Violent Torino looks particularly, well, violent. Merli's 'tache looks absolutely biblical.

Of course, I already know that none of these films will top the ultraviolent Napoli la Camorra Sfida la Città' Risponde! How could they?

I will likely watch this box set while plastering the hole in the wall left behind after throwing the television through it while getting overexcited watching Mario Merola burst skulls in the aforementioned hyperfilm Napoli la Camorra Sfida la Città' Risponde! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2021, 01:03 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Danny Lee, First Inframan then Oily Maniac then The Killer.
What a crazy ride for him.

Don't know if I ever knew about Oily Maniac but now must have it, been trying to stop my film habit but this seems like a must.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2021, 07:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Danny Lee, First Inframan then Oily Maniac then The Killer.
What a crazy ride for him.

Don't know if I ever knew about Oily Maniac but now must have it, been trying to stop my film habit but this seems like a must.

Oh do! Oily Manic is just so completely bonkers. It's from the Shaw Brothers stable too, which I initially found quite strange as I thought they were a bit more straight-laced than to be putting stuff like Oily Maniac out there.I'd have expected it perhaps from the folks (I forget the company name now) that did stuff like Dynamo, Bamboo Gods and Iron Men, or the wonderful (and I pray it gets a Blu release before it's too late) Bruce Lee Fights Back From The Grave!

I think 88 Films had a limited version of Oily Maniac with a lovely slip cover. Long sold out though so just the standard case for me. Might email 88 to ask if they have any spare hidden somewhere. Worth a try.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2021, 23:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Waited a good while for the price to drop on this set and it finally went a Euro or so away from it's ATL price. This is the Germany-only Terence Hill and Bud Spencer 20 disc Blu Ray box set.

20 Blu Ray discs (all with reversible covers, loaded with extras etc) and over 2000 minutes of goodness including Who Finds A Friend Finds A Treasure!

About 4 of the discs have no English audio track or subtitles, but that's fine as subtitles are available for them so it's straight disc dump to NAS and a visit to Opensubs for those. This box set is great quality and will sit nicely next to the Bud Spencer Jumbo XXL 14 disc Blu box set. That set contains the star prize of Watch Out We're Mad! but also none of the other 13 films are in this 20 film box set, so there is no crossovers or double dips! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 12:48 
True fan
True fan

My birthday presents.

Attachments:
246248400_719316985695931_5567020093826901795_n.jpg
246248400_719316985695931_5567020093826901795_n.jpg [ 453.55 KiB | Viewed 1591 times ]

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2021, 10:26 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Nice! MWC defined my existence. Does your box have Sinatra intact?

Btw I don't have any idea what the other two modules are.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2021, 12:54 
True fan
True fan

The Sinatra is intact on first couple of seasons, after that it was replaced by a rip off melody.

The other two are:

Captain jack sparrow figure
Nokia 8110 4G Feature phone ( the original 8110 was in the first Matrix movie )

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2021, 17:48 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
These people who say LP sounds better than CD must have the worse stereo on the planet…

Which is ironic because you definitely need good hi-fi gear to get a good sound out of LP!

Well, we have those people here, right? The same ones who insist LD looks better than anything but they’re always comparing their $10,000 LD setup to early DVD or overly DNRed BRs.

My main turntable is decent vintage mainstream stuff. Nothing amazing but nothing from Target either. It doesn’t even sound better than a solid CD player, only terrible ones. My main CD player is an old Elite DVD machine and it…well it sounds a lot better, I’ll just say that. The dynamic range and the low noise floor make it stand out at once, the highs obliterate even the best records I’ve ever heard. In classical performances not only can I hear the guy cough, I can hear the guy inhale before the cough because it isn’t drown out by groove rush.

If only the act of using it didn’t drive me nuts…everything is too small, the Energy Star BS makes sure that every time you walk up to use it the thing it is fully powered down, and even opening the drawer has you waiting for it’s entire stupid OS to launch.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2021, 08:23 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Word up, CD4life 8-) old Sony CDPs have A1 response time and can be found cheap

therussian wrote:
The Sinatra is intact on first couple of seasons, after that it was replaced by a rip off melody.

Okay that's weird, it was the OG Frank on every season when broadcast I'm sure you're aware, u woulda thunk if they got the licence at all it would just apply to all seasons?

I don't know what Captain Sparrow is but I saw matrix once, that was enough!

Happy birthday btw

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2021, 10:30 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

finally getting more organized

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2021, 11:30 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

pobodys_nerfect wrote:
Word up, CD4life 8-) old Sony CDPs have A1 response time and can be found cheap

therussian wrote:

Okay that's weird, it was the OG Frank on every season when broadcast I'm sure you're aware, u woulda thunk if they got the licence at all it would just apply to all seasons?

I don't know what Captain Sparrow is but I saw matrix once, that was enough!

Happy birthday btw

Don’t get me wrong. Records are still my favorite format ever and I buy them regularly, it’s just that accurate sound reproduction isn’t their strongest feature.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2021, 14:24 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

HAHA I'm a total CD person, I do have a turntable but do need to sell it off and my small collection of vinyl.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2021, 23:26 
True fan
True fan

Absolutely the best R&B album I ever listened to.

Attachments:
WLON4380.JPG
WLON4380.JPG [ 467.09 KiB | Viewed 1625 times ]

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2021, 22:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Man I try to stick to first gen CDs all the time, I can get them SUPER cheap and don't have to fight the vinaltards for getting playable stuff.

CDs are the way to go, I too remember buying vinyl from the scam dealers years ago and then having to fight them to return since it was scratched
and wouldn't play.

Page 26 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 37  Next