It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:19

Page 27 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tat you've bought to clutter your home with (Reprise)
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2021, 22:56 
True fan
True fan

After exactly 8 years I upgraded my main computer. A Late 2012 Mac mini is retiring and in it's place comes Late 2018 Mac mini 6 core i5 with 512GB storage. Will upgrade RAM from 8 to 20GB tomorrow when the memory module arrives.

Attachments:
248927432_724923425135287_4890598954187671511_n.jpg
248927432_724923425135287_4890598954187671511_n.jpg [ 437.92 KiB | Viewed 2150 times ]

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2021, 22:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

More tat.

Picked up a small stack of used Blu's recently. A mix of 2D and 3D. In the pile there is Infra Man, I did come across it when watching The Oily Maniac a good while back now. Never got round to watching it but I will now. Then there's Lucky Number Slevin. I last saw this film at the cinema when it was first released and can't wait to see it again. It really is an excellent film and I think at the time it appeared in cinemas from absolutely nowhere and became a fairly modest hit. There's some conflicting views about which Blu is best, supposedly both the USA and UK releases have their strengths. I just want to see the film again for now and worry about the best release another day.

Next in the pile is The Amazing Spider-Man 3D. I got it cheap to go with the sequel, sure I may as well. Then there's Monsters University 3D and Monster House 3D. I haven't seen either of these before but hopefully they will be fun to watch. Just like Lucky Number Slevin, the last time I saw Prometheus was in 3D at the cinema when it was first released. I quite enjoyed it, I know many don't think it's that great a film but it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things. Time to watch Prometheus again soon... in 3D.

Last up is an oddity. No, The Polar Express isn't an oddity, it's a reasonably entertaining festive yarn from Robert Zemeckis. It's the 3D release that is odd here. This release is presented in anaglyphic red/cyan 3D and comes with 4 pairs of 3D glasses packed in with the disc as well as a lovely lenticular 3D slip cover! Maybe you have seen this particular release before? I certainly haven't and I'm curious as to how well the anaglyphic presentation will work. I think it's an interesting find and I'm keen to learn more.

Next up are 3 brand new Blu's, one of which I ordered to watch yesterday on Halloween but sadly these only turned up today. First is The Exorcist, the film I wanted to watch yesterday. This release is nice because although it's missing the third disc from the 40th Anniversary set, it costs about a quarter of the price. I wanted this for the original Theatrical Version from 1973, even though it's still been tampered with by Warner Bros in a couple of places. I wish they'd left the original WB logo in there on the header for example. I do actually own the now long OOP R1 DVD but I have no idea where my copy of it is. I bought it on release from the USA and to date that edition is still the only way to get the proper original print untouched (in the highest quality, the benchmark being DVD in this example over say VHS or Laserdisc et al). I'd love to the the original R1 DVD again but it probably costs a fortune now. My mislaying the disc is probably going to prove a costly mistake.

There's also Wreck-It Ralph 3D. Never caught this one in the third dimension, though the standard version was quite entertaining. I think it bodes well for a 3D presentation.

Last up in the new pile is the 1972 Donald Pleasance hyperfilm Death Line! This is one super obscure little horror feature, again I wanted to watch it as a double feature yesterday along with The Exorcist but it arrived a day late. This is one obscure feature and it's been lovingly restored from the original 35mm negative by Network! You also get a lovely untouched poster art print on the reverse of the sleeve along with a foreword by the team that found the negatives and restored them. There's a lovely booklet inside too that is packed with information and heaps of images sourced from a private collection of one of the film makers and seen for the first time along with marketing plans and newspaper clippings.

Network also brought out the Goodnight Sweetheart box set completely uncut (I think it's safe to coin this collection as uncut now because any future release will likely be censored, current TV broadcast repeats of it already are). They also did a wonderful job with the release of Wilt. I think that Network might be a boutique label (even though it seems to be in bed with ITV Studios so does it qualify as boutique?) that is overlooked, and a bit of a 'hidden gem' with a treasure trove of good content. To wonder so far off the track (excuse the pun) with titles like Wilt and Death Line (and The Piglet Files!) to name just a couple, shows they will really go to great lengths to not only trawl the archives, but to restore them carefully and lovingly. The Death Line restoration is simply stunning, especially considering the condition it was in.

Oh, and a fun fact from the booklet. Christopher Lee only agreed to appear in the film (and I quote) "...if I don't have to wear any teeth".

Okay then. :crazy: :lol:

...and finally. It only took about 68 years to arrive in the mail. The postal service said it was lost and that I had no hope of receiving said goods. But today, lo and behold a DVD edition of Lee Majors exospheric ultramovie The Last Chase finally arrived. It will sit very nicely on my shelf next to the 1981 VTC original big box gold VHS edition! The major difference here is that the DVD presents the film in it's original aspect ration and from a new scan. The VHS releases were all 4:3, including the CED too. It never appeared on Laserdisc to the best of my knowledge.

The best part of this whole deal is that this disc isn't faulty. When Code Red initially released the DVD they recalled all the copies due to a mastering issue that messed the audio sync up apparently. A corrected disc was released but not many copies made it out to the wild (as far as I am aware). This is a correct disc from what I've seen by scanning through it. The DVD release is long OOP and is considered very rare. It doesn't come up for sale often and prices vary wildly. The most extreme price I've seen was just shy of CA$900 but usually it goes for around $100-$200.

I still hope that a Blu Ray may be in the works. I hope... :thumbup:

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2021, 21:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Congrats on finally tracking down a copy of that sucker. I hope it's everything you wanted. I'm still waiting for an English-friendly modern home video release of my niche favourite, Terminus.

Meanwhile, these came from Italy, in just four days somehow.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2021, 13:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:

These are pretty cool.

More MTG for me unsurprisingly.

Also as I become more and more unsatisfied with modern gaming I have been rediscovering SNES. Right now I only have Link to the Past and Final Fantasy III (VI). Been really enjoying my time with both games. SNES through PS2 is definitely my favorite stretch. NES era is good too though. Not planning to have a massive amount of carts, probably under 20 games even when done I imagine.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2021, 11:23 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

got Dragon Age Origins Ultimate for the PS3 and

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2021, 14:49 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Is that an original crazy eddie sticker or are they now reproing them?
I was really young but don't remember seeing them on anything at stores, but I may be wrong.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2021, 17:07 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

rein-o wrote:
Is that an original crazy eddie sticker or are they now reproing them?
I was really young but don't remember seeing them on anything at stores, but I may be wrong.

it might be but I have no way of knowing since I got at 2nd and Charles. they don't really know the backstory on stuff or anything.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2021, 12:22 
True fan
True fan

The best arm wrestling movie ever made.

Attachments:
IMG_E8222.JPG
IMG_E8222.JPG [ 472.61 KiB | Viewed 1952 times ]

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2021, 14:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

God, that reminds me of the time my mom told me there was gonna be this Stallone movie on TV which I thought was supposed to be Over the Top, but it turned out to be Rhinestone. :sick:

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2021, 17:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2021, 03:49 
True fan
True fan

After a full year of hunting finally got The Series X for a normal non scalper price.

Oh and also picked up a monster hunter PSP 3000.

Attachments:
XUBS7234.JPG
XUBS7234.JPG [ 473.31 KiB | Viewed 1877 times ]

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2021, 14:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

missed out on her, when she first hit market several months back. making up for it now;

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2021, 02:18 
True fan
True fan

As you can see I am quite a fan on this movie.

Newest add on is the digi book blu-ray release from Germany ( all the way to the right second row ).
The very first Blu Ray release on the left actually has been at the exactly the same spot as where Bill Murray was sitting at the New York bar in Park Hyatt Tokyo.

Attachments:
IMG_E8285.JPG
IMG_E8285.JPG [ 483.21 KiB | Viewed 1816 times ]

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2021, 06:52 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I picked up an Xbox Series S on FBM advertised with non-functioning Wifi for $100. I planned on either just running it from Ethernet or swapping in a new Wifi board ($15-20 from eBay or iFixit). When it arrived, it was working perfectly including Wifi. A couple of the corners are a little dinged/scuffed, but I'm planning on repainting it satin black so as to not stand out in my HT rack/cabinet. The bottom plate and outer shell are easily removable without cracking the inner shell or even removing the Wifi and Power Button boards. The rear side plastic containing all the IO is melt-swaged to the bottom half of the inner shell, so I'll most likely leave it unpainted (won't be seeing in the rack/cabinet anyway).

While it was in transit I was preparing myself for it to require a deeper repair than just the Wifi board, have non-functional Ethernet, or otherwise be a $100 bust. Luckily it went the other way and is fully functional save for the minor cosmetic issues that will be masked by the paint job (which I was already planning before seeing the dings). Between this and my $45 Shop Goodwill untested D704 that was fully functional save for a missing inner front knob/wheel I may have used up all of my good luck for a while.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2021, 20:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Got some hardcover comic books and the Japanese blu-ray of Highlander 3, which fortunately does play in a region B player as well.

It's actually my first Japanese home video release of anything that isn't a Laserdisc.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2021, 10:54 
True fan
True fan

It ain't a Christmas if there is no John McClane.

Attachments:
TDIR9680.JPG
TDIR9680.JPG [ 458.5 KiB | Viewed 1702 times ]

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2021, 16:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

therussian wrote:
It ain't a Christmas if there is no John McClane.

I guess the likeness rights didn't pan out with that one...

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2021, 17:26 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

got a new coffee maker but apparently I just had to clean my old one so now I have 2 but that's fine there both a little different.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2021, 17:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Grabbed this from Jeff's online retail store in the UK. Even took out a 1 week 99p trial to his fast shipping and video streaming service in order to make sure it got here by Christmas Eve. And it did. Fair play Jeffrey.

Human Traffic is a film that hasn't aged particularly well. It's a bit wooden, it's dated and watching it today it looks like one of those 'BBC Afternoon Play' things, or an episode of Storyville with the cast of Grange Hill.

Yet despite absolutely all of that, if you were there. Genuinely..... If. You. Were. There. ...... Then this film will very likely mean the world to you. If you lived and breathed the scene in the 1990's and up to around 2004/5 then this film will be everything to you.

And it is. To me, anyway.

Surprisingly it's OOP on Blu Ray and was only released once, in Germany, back in 2012. Whoever put the film out on Blu made an absolute pigs ear of it and screwed the audio mix up so it's virtually unwatchable. The picture is dreadful too. If you want to put yourself through that horror then you'll find an HD print of Human Traffic on Jeff's streaming service. In Germany only. So you'll need a VPN or DNS service for that. Oh and to live in the EU for your home account so you can make use of the EU portability legislation. Go read the reviews for yourself. The Blu is terrible, not to mention it's a vanilla disc too. It's the very essence of a bare bones release in every single way and crudely and cheaply thrown together by someone who clearly does not care for the film. What a great shame as this film deserves so much better than that.

The good news though is that Human Traffic is cheap and plentiful on DVD. You can pick up a copy of the first edition which at least has a handful of extras, unlike the 2012 Blu and DVD releases, for around 85p (approx €1/$1). The Remixed edition though is a little less plentiful on the used market and does command a little more. I managed to buy the last one from Jeff in time for Christmas for less than €10. Plus, with the Remixed edition you get a better transfer of the film as well as lots of nice extras too!

There is just one other thing though to mention with regards the Remixed edition.

It's a different film altogether.

What you get here is, literally, a Remixed film. It has additional scenes, different edits and in places it has a whole new soundtrack. So to be honest, you'll want to own both the original Theatrical Cut and the Remixed Edition cut. I'll be making sure to grab a copy of the original version. I've never seen the Remixed edition, hence the purchase. From some initial research apparently the Remixed edition was released with the different soundtrack to avoid paying royalties due to a problem with the original soundtrack deal that was made. I can't cite a reference for this yet though so take it with a pinch of salt.

I think that's what the problem with any potential new Blu Ray release may be. The soundtrack. Coincidentally if you are looking for a copy of the soundtrack on CD, you might want to think twice as it's currently selling for around €60 to €100+ a copy! :crazy:

Anyway. This is a whopper film that is elevated to another level entirely if you lived through this particular period in time and you will already know that this film was the comforting chill-out remedy that would be put on the nearest television at the home of whoever's couch/floor/kitchen/bed/driveway you woke up in! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2021, 10:09 
True fan
True fan

Christmas Haul

Satechi Hub for my Mac mini.
Keychron K8 Bluetoon Mechanical keyboard for my Mac
Flight Simulator for my Series X
Oliva Cigar Sampler

Attachments:
IMG_E8414.JPG
IMG_E8414.JPG [ 409.92 KiB | Viewed 1584 times ]
IMG_E8415.JPG
IMG_E8415.JPG [ 437.87 KiB | Viewed 1584 times ]

Page 27 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 37  Next