It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:03

Page 13 of 14 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do any of you guys collect video games?
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2022, 23:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Yoshi’s Island is peak Super on every level. That and Super Punch Out which looks almost like a Neo game or something.

Chrono is one of those games that was so popular it will always have lovers and haters who jump the dumbdumb train. It’s absolutely top tier though, despite some extreme clunkiness like that very very crappy race sequence. From a game play perspective FFVI is way better but both are amazing.

Super Mario RPG entertained me back in the day but now all that crappy Rare CG just makes me sick to look at. It’s one step away from being Donkey Kong Country RPG.

I like World 1 more but Yoshi's Island was still really good.

Seems like a lot of Square rpgs have those clunky sequences. I remember a few in Xenogears.

rcarlson wrote:
gypsy wrote:
FF4 in contrast was pretty primitive but obviously an earlier release.

Playing Final Fantasy IV next to the original Final Fantasy III is interesting. Reportedly, FFIV began development as an NES game before they changed their minds a good way through and started over making it for the SNES; and when you look at the finished product next to its immediate predecessor this makes sense.

The class-change scene in FFIV really stuck with me. It's easy to undersell it if you just call it what it literally is ("a class change"), but it makes the redemption narrative hit home so perfectly. One of the great early examples of story informing gameplay and gameplay driving story.

This does not surprise me at all given the backgrounds. Definitely a cool bit of trivia.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 03:39 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

When FFIV came out people still had very low expectations for RPG graphics. Dragon Quest was selling very very well on the FC at that time and those all look terrible. The phrumph phrumph sounds and lack of flicker in FFIV and DQV probably seemed like all you’d ever want. FFV upped it a lot but FFVI and DQVI were the ones that really set the bar. After that, and especially FFVII, RPGs sort of became the place where you expected the BEST graphics.

That…screwed everything up, IMO. I’m more of a Tengai Makyo sort of guy…that is, you can put whatever you want in the game just don’t sloooooow it down with crap, please. Like a book, the best RPGs utilize your imagination via crude graphics and abbreviated scripts. With stuff like FFVII and up, extremely detailed graphics and interminable verbiage, there’s no need to fill in any blanks. It feels much more like you’re just watching things happen than participating.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 09:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The opera house scene in Final Fantasy VI is still one of the greatest moments in video game history, along with the blurry photos of queues outside Yodobashi Camera for Dragon Quest V on launch day.

Oh and Final Fantasy VII and buying the house in Costa del Sol. I happily admit to visiting the place, laying on a sunlounger and leaving the music to play for 837 hours. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 13:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The opera scene is amazing. While it didn’t move me much originally, I think Celese’s attempted suicide is more powerful/dramatic.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 14:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
Finished Final Fantasy 4. Really great game.

my very first "serious" RPG.

back in the early-90's (around 1992/1993, IIRC) my aunt and her husband had a copy,
and i ended up trading SNES WANDERERS FROM YS to them for it.

the game was really well above me at the time, yet everything about it seemed so potently compelling even so,
that i couldn't stop picking it up here and there, despite sucking so hard.

it, and FFVI were RPG boot camp for me, ultimately.
beautifully compelling experiences that i spent my childhood basically sucking at, yet eventually mastered.

just a year or so back, in fact, i made a run through my PS1 FF CHRONICLES ports of both games,
acing each, and still finding them as overwhelmingly compelling and playable as ever...

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 16:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
When FFIV came out people still had very low expectations for RPG graphics. Dragon Quest was selling very very well on the FC at that time and those all look terrible. The phrumph phrumph sounds and lack of flicker in FFIV and DQV probably seemed like all you’d ever want. FFV upped it a lot but FFVI and DQVI were the ones that really set the bar. After that, and especially FFVII, RPGs sort of became the place where you expected the BEST graphics.

That…screwed everything up, IMO. I’m more of a Tengai Makyo sort of guy…that is, you can put whatever you want in the game just don’t sloooooow it down with crap, please. Like a book, the best RPGs utilize your imagination via crude graphics and abbreviated scripts. With stuff like FFVII and up, extremely detailed graphics and interminable verbiage, there’s no need to fill in any blanks. It feels much more like you’re just watching things happen than participating.

I do mostly like the change of adding more of a narrative to the games. Though I don't mind the alternative and think it is cool that Dragon Quest mostly stuck to that. As long as you know the menu commands, you could easily play these games in Japanese and have largely the same experience which is really cool. For me the SNES-PS1 has been the JRPG sweet spot. PS2 has some I enjoyed but this trend you mentioned starts to become more pronounced (look at the Xenosaga "games") then the PS3 hardly had anything and while I like the Cold Steel games they set a new bar for explaining everything with oceans of text. I could never play them back to back.

teddanson wrote:
The opera house scene in Final Fantasy VI is still one of the greatest moments in video game history, along with the blurry photos of queues outside Yodobashi Camera for Dragon Quest V on launch day.

Truly an awesome scene.

tasuke wrote:
gypsy wrote:
Finished Final Fantasy 4. Really great game.

my very first "serious" RPG.

back in the early-90's (around 1992/1993, IIRC) my aunt and her husband had a copy,
and i ended up trading SNES WANDERERS FROM YS to them for it.

the game was really well above me at the time, yet everything about it seemed so potently compelling even so,
that i couldn't stop picking it up here and there, despite sucking so hard.

it, and FFVI were RPG boot camp for me, ultimately.
beautifully compelling experiences that i spent my childhood basically sucking at, yet eventually mastered.

just a year or so back, in fact, i made a run through my PS1 FF CHRONICLES ports of both games,
acing each, and still finding them as overwhelmingly compelling and playable as ever...

I think my first traditional JRPG was Lunar Eternal Blue Complete but it can be hard to remember 100%. I didn't have a SNES growing up and didn't get into video games until my family was able to afford an N64 (which was a system bereft of JRPGs). So I played things like Star Fox 64, Banjo Kazooie, Mario 64, Perfect Dark etc My first RPG was Baldur's Gate on PC that I remember for sure.

I actually put in the PS1 release of FFVI and watched the visual scene. I tried playing that version but with the load times, I figured I might as well just play on SNES. I've heard the load times on Chrono Trigger are even worse. I have also heard the PSP release of FF4 is excellent and it probably is but I dislike playing games on the PSP and like to play the original version at least once.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 21:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The only port of any of that stuff I enjoy is the Wonderswan version of Final Fantasy I because it has way better graphics but keeps everything else the same including the D&D style magic system (no MP). I'm not sure I like the PS1 port of anything except the Namco Museum series which is really good and...Street Fighter Zero 3. SFZ3 has no perfect port or version except maybe (maybe) Upper on NAOMI so you're sort of always missing something no matter what you play.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 18:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

incidentally, i just attempted the PS1 CHRONICLES remaster of FF1 earlier last year, and i found it's off-kilter Magic system most irritating indeed,
amongst several other singularly clunky/unrefined/outmoded aspects of the games' design ethos.

indeed, as (albeit modestly) dated as aspects of FFIV can come off as, -as a whole-
it indeed feels rather much like driving some sort of high-performance sports car,
when stood up diectly against the stone-age, primordial experience that even the fairly "refined" PS1 FF1 presents....

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 20:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
The only port of any of that stuff I enjoy is the Wonderswan version of Final Fantasy I because it has way better graphics but keeps everything else the same including the D&D style magic system (no MP). I'm not sure I like the PS1 port of anything except the Namco Museum series which is really good and...Street Fighter Zero 3. SFZ3 has no perfect port or version except maybe (maybe) Upper on NAOMI so you're sort of always missing something no matter what you play.

Yeah I'm not opposed to rereleases or w/e you want to call them when they are better. I only play Dark Souls Remastered now and would strongly recommend the Kiwami remakes for the first two Yakuza games. PS1 like you said...not many...

tasuke wrote:
incidentally, i just attempted the PS1 CHRONICLES remaster of FF1 earlier last year, and i found it's off-kilter Magic system most irritating indeed,
amongst several other singularly clunky/unrefined/outmoded aspects of the games' design ethos.

indeed, as (albeit modestly) dated as aspects of FFIV can come off as, -as a whole-
it indeed feels rather much like driving some sort of high-performance sports car,
when stood up diectly against the stone-age, primordial experience that even the fairly "refined" PS1 FF1 presents....

I don't really care for the first 3 at all.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2022, 16:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Agreed.

while i haven't touched FFII or III, the bad taste FFI left in my mouth before i finally gave up on it tells me rather strongly to stay well away...

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2022, 16:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

They are pretty similar whereas 4 tried some new things (ie having a narrative).

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 20:08 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I picked up this cool little case and some 2.4ghz SNES controllers to go along with a spare 3B+ I had laying around for my 12yr old daughter to build a RetroPi setup. I'm going to make her flash her image and setup her inputs and everything. This will be her second foray into DIY electronics after I made her fix her own (guided by me) broken Switch Joycon analog sticks (one with a broken stem, one with drift). It's a surprisingly nice little case for just $10, and the tolerances of the faux Legos are surprisingly good as well. The controllers were also only $15 for the pair, only about $3 more than a pair of wired USB versions. I already had the 3B+ from the Atari Ultimate Fight Stick I used for my DIY Arcade Cabinet project since I went with a USFF PC from the get-go.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2022, 00:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Chrono Trigger is awesome. The racing thing was definitely a bit janky though, for sure.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 02:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That crap racing section is the reason I never bothered to raise Chocobos, and why I’m better for it. Skip the snow boarding, Tetra Master, etc and these games are much better.

Currently I’m playing Super Robot Wars T on Switch and it’s great.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 15:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

that's FF7 you are specifically citing, not C.T.

still, if you are referring generally to the minigames/gimmickry SQUARE was so fond of in the mid/late-90's,
then i suppose i can see where you're coming from...

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 15:57 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tasuke wrote:
that's FF7 you are specifically citing, not C.T.

still, if you are referring generally to the minigames/gimmickry SQUARE was so fond of in the mid/late-90's,
then i suppose i can see where you're coming from...

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m referring to. Because I played Chrono Trigger and enjoyed it even with the stupid horrible racing game I knew I could skip similar crap in later games and still enjoy the game. Trying to do everything in those games will make them too boring and frustrating to finish.

Tetra Master is in FFIX, I think.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022, 02:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
That crap racing section is the reason I never bothered to raise Chocobos, and why I’m better for it. Skip the snow boarding, Tetra Master, etc and these games are much better.

Currently I’m playing Super Robot Wars T on Switch and it’s great.

I really should get these more recent SRW games. Love the series, and haven't played one in a bit.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022, 16:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s honestly pretty hard for me to imagine anyone who likes lightweight J style strategy games not loving this series now even if you don’t know a single robot. I’ve been playing it since it was clunky and crude and slow with terrible graphics but all that is gone now. It’s so fun and gorgeous looking and now can be played at any pace you want and it’s even in English and on PC.

I’ve been playing it on Vita in recent years and before that PSP, so now that I’m playing T on Switch it is the first time I’ve played it at such a high resolution. My word the graphics are good. Maybe Capcom and SNK can’t make 2D games anymore but Bamco sure as heck can.

Noriko and the coach joined up last night. Time to Aim for the Top!…with Might Gain and Gaogaigar even…blows my mind, and makes up for the Mazinger stuff in this game being based on Infinity.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2022, 11:14 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I guess I'm late, but might as well post my collection of consoles.

Sega Master System (I don't have the console but, I own the Master System Converter for the Mega Drive)
Sega Mega Drive Model 1 (The first Pal version, the one incompatible with the 32x without a mod)
Sega Mega Drive Model 2
Sega Mega CD Model 2
Sega 32X
Sega Saturn (European round button version)
PS1 (One fat and one slim, though the slim broke down)
PS2 (One fat)
PS3 (Two fats unfortunately the ps2 compatible ones were never released in Europe)
PS4 (One fat)
PSP (One 1000 model)
Nintendo Gameboy (Gameboy light)
Nintendo Gameboy Color
Nintendo DS (I got the original model and the DSI XL)
Nintendo Wii

I also have the Retro Trio console which plays NES, SNES and Mega Drive games. Though I barely own any SNES or NES games.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2022, 00:44 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I mostly collect Japanese imports. Super Famicom is my main console (~500 games), followed by Famicom (~200) then N64 (~100). I've also got a decent number of games for some other consoles: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1-4, GameBoy, WonderSwan.

It's so much cheaper to import that it's a no-brainer. Retro game prices in the West are absurd, but most of those $60+ SNES games can be found for $1-5 for the SFC version. You have to pay for shipping, but cartridges are pretty small and lightweight, so if you buy a lot at a time then the shipping cost per game drops to be very reasonable. I've been studying Japanese for most of my adult life and am pretty fluent now, though I sometimes still have to look up words. Text-heavy games like RPGs, simulation, and novel games are often the least expensive since the foreign audience is smaller. It works out perfectly for me since those are some of my favourite genres and they're good reading practice!

For better or worse, I have reached a point where I already own most of what I want, aside from some rare and expensive games which I will only buy if I find a good deal. I've got a pretty big backlog to play through, but I'm still discovering awesome games that are hardly known. Just last year I had a blast with Super Wrestle Angels (awesome anime-style female pro-wrestling management sim on SFC) and E.X. Troopers (ultra-stylish third-person shooter on PS3), among others.

Page 13 of 14 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next