It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:26

Page 29 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tat you've bought to clutter your home with (Reprise)
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2022, 19:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rcarlson wrote:
Looking at my living room setup, I have... four perfectly good options for playing a CD readily available. (LD player, UHD-BD player, PS1, PS2.) I struggle to think of any circumstances that could convince me to buy a dedicated CD player.

In other tat-acquiring news, I got the complete Cross Game manga in Japanese, now that my Japanese is at a level where I can read kids' manga and get most of it. It's also maybe my favorite work of baseball fiction, print or film.

If I could find a CD player I like I would consider it. I want something with a small number of critical easy to see buttons ON THE MACHINE, a good display, full sized (stacks with other gear), no Energy Star BS, no 15 second delay before opening the drawer, and sound as good as the Elite DVD player I'm using now. That I would be very excited for. I don't think it exists though. Even the newer decks aimed at DJ-ing are clogged with extraneous nonsense and lag on everything. Once you add MP3 playback or a video section with HDMI, or multi-speed drive it just gets worse and worse...aside from actual sound quality, which is pretty phenomenal on new CD players. I got this Pioneer for like $40 shipped and its VERY good sounding.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2022, 20:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It really is nice to have a dedicated CD player, you press power and it goes on and you press close and play within 3 seconds and your CD is playing.

I just pulled out of one of my boxes an older Yamaha natural sound, its a cheaper model but really nice to have in the lineup.
Wish I had a slightly better one but if this dies I'll look into getting one off ebay as I've been very happy with this so far.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2022, 18:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

1988 PIONEER ELITE PD-91; one of the best CD Players ever conceived, they literally don't make them like this anymore;

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2022, 19:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Got these two in the mail yesterday, can't believe I haven't had or seen either of these.

Was watching the Criterion Naked Prey and they were talking about his other films that Wilde directed, that's how I heard of Beach Red
and was looking at IMDB at other films directed by Wilde and this one looked interesting.

Was watching Pluto and found Conquest on shout factory's channel, only got to see the last 30 or so minutes and had to own it to watch again.

Attachments:
20220121_133240.jpg
20220121_133240.jpg [ 153.53 KiB | Viewed 1475 times ]

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022, 17:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Got these from Vinegar Syndrome last Thursday.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022, 18:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

nissling wrote:
Got these from Vinegar Syndrome last Thursday.

Lovely stuff. :thumbup:

...except Sex World. I'd rather not see 90 minutes of flutes burying a 'hairy Bernard' clunge that looks like a cross between a box of reject wigs and Michael J Fox in Teen Wolf. Bleurrrrgh! :sick: :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022, 20:19 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tasuke wrote:
1988 PIONEER ELITE PD-91; one of the best CD Players ever conceived, they literally don't make them like this anymore;

Wow…. That is a crazy piece of construction building the casted power supply outside of the player for additional isolation and even providing it with its own footer for support.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2022, 06:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, too bad it doesn’t sound as good as it looks.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2022, 14:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

These were sold in the US as Walmart exclusives, which means it's damn near impossible to get them in Europe unless you pay some ebay seller flipping them for 3-4 times the retail price, plus the inflated shipping because they all use the friggin' GSP, obviously.

So instead I just asked a friend stateside to pick one up for me - who then found one discounted to like $15 no less - and ship it later, which by then included bunch of other tat as well.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2022, 15:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, my friend bought that one when it came out. It’s pretty nice, especially for the price.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2022, 15:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:

It Does, Actually...

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 15:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

New tat today.

The VCR I imported to New Delaware from the UK arrived today, with added heartbreak tax. (Thanks Brexit Boris, you f'ing RHUBARB. :thumbdown: )

Anyway. It's an SLV-SE820G. It's in good nick too. It's about 957,000kg lighter (so for comparison to scale, about as light as a shoplifters feet exiting Primark/Walmart - delete as applicable) than my old Sony SVO-1500P and about 4627 decibels quieter too. All appears to function correctly so far. I couldn't get a picture out of it as I don't have a SCART lead or any display inputs that accept a SCART input any more. Went an ordered some gold-plated SCART adapter to RCA (it's switchable too). I just want to test the picture and audio works before perhaps investing in a cable made of uranium, mhyrr and palladium and injected with saffron and miscellaneous atmospheric gases from Saturn that have as yet not been introduced to mankind but I am assured make for an astounding composite image. The VP50 Pro might not like the analogue audio though so I may just connect it direct to my Elgato and start recording my tapes. If it gets punted under the telly I may hook it up to the DVDO Edge that the CLD-R7G is presently snuggled up to and doing glorious work! :)

The jog wheel buttons are a little hit and miss (might need a bit of contact cleaner) and the remote control is about as fast and responsive as Thora Hird on a stairlift. Nothing some new batteries won't cure (same can't be said for Thora Hird, rest her soul the poor mare). Chucked the player up on a shelf along with the spare DVDO for a bit until this adapter thing arrives.

Also got a bunch of other stuff no-ones interested in. An outside tap installed, tap lock, fancy pressure washer, 90 degree adapter, 612m of garden hose and some container thing to store it in on the wall, 857 litres of snow foam and enough carnauba wax to smother Mr. Greedy's belly with. Tat not pictured. :thumbup:

Mr. Greedy pictured leaving Tesco's last Wednesday. (Source: The Evening Standard)

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 15:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tasuke wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

It Does, Actually...

No, it’s doesn’t. For its time, sure it was maybe the best player ever made, but it’s 30 years old. It’s true hifi in that it is overbuilt to an absurd degree for no reason, I’ve *love* to own one, but it doesn’t sound as good as a many players made later which have massively better DACs. This is insurmountable for an antique, no matter how much copper it has in it. I didn’t say it sounded like crap, I simply said it’s looks have aged better than it’s performance. This is true of many things made in the bubble, cars, computers, video game machines, many things. Time marches on, like or not.

If it were an overkill turntable we wouldn’t be having the same discussion. Turntable tech hasn’t really moved forward since the late 70s and there is no digital component to improve upon. The main important thing in a CD player IS the digital component. It almost doesn’t matter how much it weights, how nice the paint is, how many transformers are in it, or if it was hand built or not.

Also, btw, this is like the 20th time you’ve posted those same pictures and it’s extremely tiresome. At least take new pictures every few years if you’re going to be constantly reminding us all for the rest of our lives that you own this CD player.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 18:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Arrived from Japan recently. Inugami has got to be one of the very best Japanese films I've ever seen. HDR was superb as well.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 20:00 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

So it isn't just Bandai Visual including sections of film with their Blu-rays these days.

Man...that price is brutal.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 21:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah 12,000 yen plus shipping and taxes is pretty much my limit but out of the corn flakes sized box sets I've got (Bergman Cinema, Gamera and Herschell Gordon Lewis collection) it was still the cheapest. :lol: Also the included book is really nice. Still tho a difficult release to recommend to an average collector unless you love the film.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2022, 02:03 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

nissling wrote:
Arrived from Japan recently. Inugami has got to be one of the very best Japanese films I've ever seen. HDR was superb as well.

:wtf: This is a Kindaichi film, I've got to see it now, I only have the one directed by Obayashi, and I know that this is a series character
but would love to see a different take on the character.
Hopefully they will have a cheaper option, I see a bluray but 30 but if its in Japanese I may have to wait for a US release if ever.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2022, 02:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
tasuke wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

It Does, Actually...

No, it’s doesn’t. For its time, sure it was maybe the best player ever made, but it’s 30 years old. It’s true hifi in that it is overbuilt to an absurd degree for no reason, I’ve *love* to own one, but it doesn’t sound as good as a many players made later which have massively better DACs. This is insurmountable for an antique, no matter how much copper it has in it. I didn’t say it sounded like crap, I simply said it’s looks have aged better than it’s performance. This is true of many things made in the bubble, cars, computers, video game machines, many things. Time marches on, like or not.

Yep. I had an old DAC that was pretty good but a new DAC came out that was better at a great price point. So I bought it, tested and confirmed I like how it sounded better and sold they old DAC for very close to what I paid for it several years ago. It more than paid for the new DAC.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2022, 21:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Got this today along with some Laserdiscs.

This is a VHS called Drug Crush. I found it purely by chance and almost didn't get to buy it. Reason being the seller was concerned as they said that upon inspection the cassette tape had signs of mould on it. I ended up getting the sale to go through thankfully and am glad I did. The mould wasn't too bad and the tape appears to be ultra rare so it was worth the risk, to me at least. In fact a quick FFWD and back on my VCR and a swift run with a head cleaner afterwards removed all traces of mould.

I've not seen this cassette turn up before. It looks to be a precursor of the Virtual Drug and Video Drug series'. I've watched it the whole way through and captured it digitally already. Sadly there's a couple of dropouts in the second phase of the production. There are 6 phases in total. It's only for a couple of seconds. Audio is present but the tracking can't cope and the signal drops. I tried my best to get it to work. Using a DVDO to pass through helped to improve stability a little but also faded the colours which are actually very rich and saturated.

This is a lovely little cassette and a real rarity I think. I haven't managed to find it on Discogs or mention of it anywhere else at present. A real treat to add to my little collection of Virtual Drug, Virtual Trip, Mind Control and other bizarre brainmelting media. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2022, 12:10 
True fan
True fan

New stereo setup complete.

After only two days I returned the newly purchased denon player because that bloody thing would not read half of the discs ( turns out a known issues of that model ). So I had to find another bookshelf sized CD player which is not the easiest thing. Luckily I stumbled on to this 1993 sweet Sony model CPD-S45.
Works like a champ. It's outrageous that a nearly 30 year old device wipes the floor with modern high prised ones.

To finish the setup I got new active speakers. Edifier: S880DB. Player is connected through toslink. So a direct digital connection. Sound is amazing.

Attachments:
IMG_E8613.JPG
IMG_E8613.JPG [ 150.52 KiB | Viewed 1214 times ]

Page 29 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 37  Next