It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:04

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stay away from PNY products! 3 yr Warranty scam
PostPosted: 19 May 2022, 23:26 
True fan
True fan

Bought a brand new 1tb ssd from this company 4 months ago and it died. Cost me about 75 bucks. This cheap company won't honor its Warranty and is pretending because I didn't buy from them directly that the Warranty doesn't count. Then don't slap a 3 year warranty on the boxes of your products. PNY is not a trust worthy company.

Post subject: Re: Stay away from PNY products! 3 yr Warranty scam
PostPosted: 19 May 2022, 23:53 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not sure this forum is the right place for this.

Julien

PostPosted: 19 May 2022, 23:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

admin wrote:
Not sure this forum is the right place for this.

Julien

Agree also warranties are typically non-transferable or there is a process involved to transfer it. I bought a used alienware laptop and had to go through a process online to transfer the warranty. If you bought old sealed stock from a random seller I can see why they wouldn't honor it. Really depends where you bought it.

PostPosted: 20 May 2022, 00:06 
True fan
True fan

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2022, 00:28 
Honest fan
Honest fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
Bought a brand new 1tb ssd from this company 4 months ago and it died. Cost me about 75 bucks. This cheap company won't honor its Warranty and is pretending because I didn't buy from them directly that the Warranty doesn't count. Then don't slap a 3 year warranty on the boxes of your products. PNY is not a trust worthy company.

I use to work in Best Buy's Geek Squad, PNY was the primary brand of Memory and SSD products carried by Best Buy, and I had lots of customers who had bad experiences with invoking warranties on defective PNY products.

The PNY products themselves are generally decent, but as you have experienced, the company doesn't like to honor their own warranty. This can better be explained if I attempt to summarize the relationship of Best Buy Corporation with many of the trash brand companies they carry product sub-par quality product lines of. To put it bluntly, they (Best Buy) are keenly aware that certain brand companies simply do not honor warranties and have an established protocol with those companies that should a customer bring in a product they can prove should be covered by the brands' "implied" (or in this case blatantly fraudulent) warranty and state they have already attempted to contact the 'manufacturer', that Best Buy can "honor the warranty" by exchanging the product for identical or like product. Best Buy then recoups the "loss" three ways, netting them a profit for doing this.:
  • 1. The manufacturer/brand/vendor will credit Best Buy for the cost of the item exchanged.
  • 2. Best Buy will include the replacement item in their lost/damaged itemized report they file quarterly with their assets insurance provider, receiving back the full cost of the item from the insurance company.
  • 3. Pending how a manager processes the product exchange, either or both the replacement item and the defective item may be reported as "store losses" for the store level business income taxes, meaning they become tax write-offs.

So it is in this manner that Best Buy actually makes more money in the long term off of a defective item than they do off of a non-defective item. :roll:

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2022, 04:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

tweeg wrote:
jesuslovesgood wrote:

I use to work in Best Buy's Geek Squad, PNY was the primary brand of Memory and SSD products carried by Best Buy, and I had lots of customers who had bad experiences with invoking warranties on defective PNY products.

The PNY products themselves are generally decent, but as you have experienced, the company doesn't like to honor their own warranty. This can better be explained if I attempt to summarize the relationship of Best Buy Corporation with many of the trash brand companies they carry product sub-par quality product lines of. To put it bluntly, they (Best Buy) are keenly aware that certain brand companies simply do not honor warranties and have an established protocol with those companies that should a customer bring in a product they can prove should be covered by the brands' "implied" (or in this case blatantly fraudulent) warranty and state they have already attempted to contact the 'manufacturer', that Best Buy can "honor the warranty" by exchanging the product for identical or like product. Best Buy then recoups the "loss" three ways, netting them a profit for doing this.:
  • 1. The manufacturer/brand/vendor will credit Best Buy for the cost of the item exchanged.
  • 2. Best Buy will include the replacement item in their lost/damaged itemized report they file quarterly with their assets insurance provider, receiving back the full cost of the item from the insurance company.
  • 3. Pending how a manager processes the product exchange, either or both the replacement item and the defective item may be reported as "store losses" for the store level business income taxes, meaning they become tax write-offs.

So it is in this manner that Best Buy actually makes more money in the long term off of a defective item than they do off of a non-defective item. :roll:

This is one of the reasons why I prefer Best Buy over online and other retailers. They price match literally every legit retailer so you always pay the best price. You can walk in with your defective/broken product, have it replaced, repaired or serviced in the store. In the case, they need to ship your item to their repair center for an advance repair, they handle all the packaging and mailing.

This is not well known and it is up to the store personal to decline this but you could go to any Best Buy store and have them process the warranty claim even if the item was not purchased from Best Buy. You will need a proof of purchase for your item and it needs to be from an authorized retailer.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2022, 18:03 
Honest fan
Honest fan

substance wrote:
This is not well known and it is up to the store personal to decline this but you could go to any Best Buy store and have them process the warranty claim even if the item was not purchased from Best Buy. You will need a proof of purchase for your item and it needs to be from an authorized retailer.

To be clear on this matter, no. I had customers trying to make this claim when I was still working there and it simply isn't true. It isn't up to employees, it's up to corporate. If the brand doesn't have a partnership agreement with Best Buy, Best Buy will absolutely not assist you with processing a warranty. The brands Best Buy had a partnership agreement with for Warranty processing during the recent years I was employed was only 3 or 4 brands total, and this was not a service we advertised, rather it was a service we were told to never tell customers about, and should someone show up wanting us to process a warranty for them we were to provide them with the toll free number service number of the company first and have them process the warranty directly and not come back unless they were told to bring the item to Best Buy, along with a printed Return Material Authorization confirmation number proving that the company had authorized the item to be processed through Best Buy. This was a headache to handle as about half the time the company would send back to our store a CIB re-certified identical or equivalent product, and 99% of the time the customer would act like a complete fool and try to claim that Best Buy was pulling a scam on them by not giving back the exact item they dropped off, even though it was completely outside of the control of Best Buy how the various companies processed warranty returns. So no, do not expect Best Buy to handle warranties for you on items you purchased from other retailers, because in reality they won't.

Ah, I forgot to ramble off the brands that Best Buy will sometimes handle warranty processing for. To be clear, Best Buy Corporation owns a stake in most of these brands.:
- Duraband
- Insignia
- PNY
- Sonos

Those were the only brands I remember Best Buy still having any formal agreements with to sometimes handle warrantied product returns on, and once again must re-iterate that Best Buy would not handle the full warranty processing on these items. The owner/customer had to initiate the process themselves and then had to additionally print out the proof to bring with them that the company had requested they check the item in through Best Buy's Geek Squad for the processing. This further requires the customer to make an appointment to see a Geek Squad Agent, as we ceased taking walk-in customers in 2017, and going through the item check-in process with Geek Squad.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]