It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:44

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: UHQCD???
PostPosted: 03 May 2022, 19:13 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Apparently this has been around for a few years, but I'm just now seeing it pop up in my searches for SACD, DVD-Audio and blu-ray audio.

UHQCD

Kind of sounds like a gimmick to me to get you to buy an album again. Anyone had an experience with them?

Post subject: Re: UHQCD???
PostPosted: 03 May 2022, 22:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I have a block of paper in my printer that is marketed as Ultra HD. Pure bs, like UHQCD I would imagine.

PostPosted: 04 May 2022, 02:33 
Site Admin
Site Admin

elahrairrah wrote:
UHQCD

Kind of sounds like a gimmick to me to get you to buy an album again. Anyone had an experience with them?

Japan has been trying to make people re-purchase perfectly fine CDs they already have again and again.
I am guessing SONY getting a royalty on each physical disc is not irrelevant here.

Blu-Spec CD, Blu-Spec CD2, SHM-CD, UHQCD.

It's only a standard CD with "enhanced" manufacturing (blue laser, plastic, glue, pressing, unicorn powder, what have you).... implying that all the CDs they sold us before were of poor quality.

A CD rip gives the same results bit for bit (assuming the same master), there is no benefit in buying into this marketing BS.

Julien

PostPosted: 04 May 2022, 03:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Wow, there's a whole world of optical media snake oil that I was just unaware of.

PostPosted: 04 May 2022, 06:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rcarlson wrote:
Wow, there's a whole world of optical media snake oil that I was just unaware of.

Not forgetting MQA and audiophile USB cables that give a forward-thinking, yet relaxed and interpersonal soundstage with just the merest suggestion of acoustical bichon frize avec le salle de bain betwixt an enlightening mood serum of unmatched audio performance. Bonnet de douche! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 04 May 2022, 14:04 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

admin wrote:
elahrairrah wrote:
UHQCD

Japan has been trying to make people re-purchase perfectly fine CDs they already have again and again.
I am guessing SONY getting a royalty on each physical disc is not irrelevant here.

Blu-Spec CD, Blu-Spec CD2, SHM-CD, UHQCD.

It's only a standard CD with "enhanced" manufacturing (blue laser, plastic, glue, pressing, unicorn powder, what have you).... implying that all the CDs they sold us before were of poor quality.

A CD rip gives the same results bit for bit (assuming the same master), there is no benefit in buying into this marketing BS.

Julien

I've seen the SHM as well, but not the others.

All this crap sounds like that "green marker" BS that was brought up a couple years ago.

And with CD prices being price controlled last I remember costing US$30 a CD, this is just madness!

Last edited by elahrairrah on 06 May 2022, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 May 2022, 01:09 
Site Admin
Site Admin

rcarlson wrote:

Oh there was one more!

XRCD => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Resolution_Compact_Disc

And also the MOFI CDs with 24K gold layers.

Julien

PostPosted: 25 May 2022, 19:13 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

admin wrote:
rcarlson wrote:

Oh there was one more!

XRCD => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Resolution_Compact_Disc

And also the MOFI CDs with 24K gold layers.

Julien

Just ran across a few of these on Ebay.

Asking ridiculous prices for them too!

PostPosted: 26 May 2022, 07:16 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Very interesting.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2022, 20:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Since I couldn't find the threads that came up some years ago on the forum here regarding the "green marker" BS, this latest video from Techmoan shows another bit of optical disc snake oil taking the "laser scatter" bit to a whole new level (or should I say "bevel"?)

Shaving Compact Discs to Improve Sound (!?)

Apparently this device/process doesn't only want you to color the edge because of all those pesky errors from the laser bouncing all over the place inside the CD, but first SHAVE THE EDGE OF THE DISC so that it has a beveled edge!!

Despite that lunacy, it appears some "audiophiles" still swear by some things like this.

It's so telling when one technician stated this in the comments:

Quote:
jgrimsley2000
I used to be a repair technician at a high-end consumer electronics store. I've worked on McIntosh, Lynn-Sondek, Luxman, Meridian, Denon, B&O and even the occasional Mark Levison amp...equipment of that quality. One day, the owner of the store introduced me to the owner of Kimber Kables (very expensive audiophile cables) He was making outrageous claims about his magic wires using terms like "imaging, sound-stage, acute focus and the like. I asked him if I could run some A/B comparisons against some decent but affordable cables we carried. He told me no, because technicians always want to measure differences with test equipment instead of using our ears. He said that our problem (technicians) is that we believe that if we can't measure the difference, then we assume that there is no difference. Audiophiles can get really defensive when it comes to their religion.

Then this "audiophile" had to chime in later (not responding to the above--just a standalone comment):

Quote:
legrandmaitre
It never ceases to amaze me how many characters come out of the woodwork to take potshots at any kind of hifi tweak.

For me I've found that pretty well any CD will improve if washed, also if you mark the edges with a black or green pen - it works.
One theory - these tweaks make life easier for the error correction circuitry, in turn there's then less stray emissions.

I have a £12k system and biggish (3000+) collection. VDH cabling throughout.
I also have a mains purifier and nice Furutech mains cables - both these additions have transformed my system.
I'm partially sighted.

Even now in 2022, people start shouting the odds and getting really angry about these tweaks and so called snake oil.
Apart from insulting these characters in the following way:

1) your hearing can't be much cop
2) your system must be crap
3) stop listening to plop like Oasis

There may be something else going on!

I think it's to do with neurodivergency - for want of a better word - or to put in a more down to earth way, maybe the difference between those of us who are artists, writers or musicians - and people with scientific backgrounds.
Apart from anything else it's the ability of creative people to articulate what they're hearing - to DESCRIBE the differences they hear (which OP says "goes over his head"). Scientists need to believe by measuring something, artistic people believe because they can sense, hear or see something.
Just because you can't measure something does NOT mean it doesn't exist, it just means scientists haven't yet gained a full understanding of what is going on.

Check out Jay on Youtube, he's a highly intelligent guy WITH a scientific background who has gone beyond this training because he has heard enough gear to learn that it's not all about the science and measurements. He CAN hear these differences.

I actually laughed out loud when I read that one!

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2022, 16:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I think if people have to go to those sorts lengths to market or defend this rubbish, then it's a load of old cobblers to begin with. Like the Monster vs Coat hanger saga.

It it either works or it doesn't. There really is a load of old pony in the AV industry, more fool the folk that buy in to it and believe it. If you believe that load of trout about shaving a CD to get better sound quality I think you'd want your head examined!

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2022, 18:24 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Another bit of CD snake oil I remember, but this one didn't really cost much was the to-do from some years ago that the original Sony Playstation 1 console released in the US with the RCA outputs on the back (later consoles had only a multi-I/O output to be used with Sony proprietary A/V cable to save on manufacturing costs--and make you spend more on one of their cables) was an "audiophile quality" CD audio player.

Stereophile - Playstation 1 CD Player

I actually still have one of these original Playstation 1 consoles with the RCA output, but I never bothered trying to see if it was some kind of uber CD player since my sound system probably wasn't advanced enough to notice any difference.

I should have taken advantage of the brief spike in prices of these consoles enjoyed on Ebay back then and unloaded mine, but I still pulled it out for some Dance Dance Revolution at parties back then!

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]